Walkerized? $?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,
Thanks for the info. Of course I don't need the extra power, but I'll go for it anyway!

I'm curious, how is it possible to run a 3120 at anything over 11,500 with the stock ignition? Isn't it limited?

Good luck at Clearwater.

Hi doug who is using the stock ignition!!!. i said it was stock appearing LOL

That is one hell of a deisel allright. Could you imagine seeing a piston coming out at you from the side of the block ( holy crap )

John W

I work at a trucking company with our own garage and to imagine a piston that size moving that fast must have one hell of strong rod. That must have four turbos on it also right?

When we raced gokarts several years ago we had this Spanish rotory valve engine 100 cc. My brother don had this tach that would not go any higher than 20000 rpm. One race he got punted off the track and the chain came off and the throttle got jammed on full throttle and you should of heard this thing. we knew he would rev it to 18000 for racing. When he came in the tell tale tach stopped at 20000 and we figured it must of hit 24000.
The piston survived with a 4 corner stick and he got one hell of a shock pulling the plug wire off LOL

John W

HuskyMan,

As far as the turbo configuration i cant remember if it was 3 or 4. I didnt really hear all that well after i heard 6500 everything else just got forgotten.

But, it would be alot cheaper to get a 18000 RPM saw from walkers then building a 6500 RPM diesel. So I'll stick with MY dream (this summer) 385 WXP chainsaw

Last edited:
hell yeah those old detroit's were awesome engines. one of my cousins has a log skidder with one in it. i don't know how high it revs but i can hear it roaring from 5 miles off.

32-1

Hey Ken,
So not to get too far from the subject, what is a good 2 stroke oil and why would you run it at a richer mix than manufactures recomendations? I'm really confused about that.
Thanks

John, as to your question on the age of the 044, it's about 8 years old. Not to sure I want to put any money into it. Still has the old style bearings and crank as far as I know.:cool:

Methoss084,

If i was you i would call up JW and ask him about the 385 "W"XP to replace the trusty ole 044. Just a thought.

HuskyMan what have you done to me. Im a husky pusher now, and i dont even own one(YET). O well could be worse, i could be a homelite pusher :D

Last edited:
Confused,

6500 RPM out of a diesel is impressive. But I thought some of the newer designs ran up to 4000 something stock?

The saw might be a lesser percentage change, but compare that RPM relative to the diesel. Now imagine how fast that mix must burn at 18000RPM.

Find out the strokes for both engines, then calculate piston speed. That'll give you the best comparison possible.:blob2:

Last edited:
Thats pretty impressive.

The piston speed is 7312.5 FPM or 83 mile an hour.

Just for reference I checked a top fuel motor. It came out to 6000 fpm. I don't think the saw could touch it. It would have to have a stroke of roughly 2.35 inches.

Just some food for thought.

That is fast but think about the mass of a diesel piston and the size of the crank and its doubly impressive.

Hey Harley
Im just curious as to how you figured that out?

The problem lies not just in the piston speed, but in the mass of the reciprocating assembly multiplied by the piston speed squared. Energy, thus bearing and con rod stress, is directly proportional to the mass, but increases as the square of the velocity (acceleration for a given stroke). Someone should invent a planetary reduction drive small enough so a gas turbine could be used in a saw.

The problem with turbines is that they take too long to spool up. But if you could hook up an electric/turbine hybrid it might work. Kindof like a train. But then you wouldn't have that nice two stroke sound. And isn't that why we all like saws?:rolleyes:

DB --

That is why we have seen dramatic improvements in the RPMs and power generated from automobile engines. Build a smaller crank, and it goes faster. Excellent point!!

Of course, then the durability question comes into play. Why do you think that NASCAR drivers blow motors at 100,000 (pure guesstamite/SWAG) times the rate of the average residential driver? Is it perhaps the lighter components inside the motor? There are limits to the technology available today, and excessively lightening rods and cranks to diminish working mass does have consequences.

Anyway, if someone could manufacture a ductile material, with the stress tolerance of mild steel, and the surface strength of some of the ceramics -- WOW!!

Back