Walnut & Cherry Milled Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedChristiansen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Milled this walnut and cherry today using Logosol WWmill, Husky385XP with 16" bar. Took three hours including setup and loading.

Ted

Wood

Nice Ted! Sticker it right away as well. Action shots next time! My Cherry and walnut really tend to twist so weight it down really well.

pretty wood... nice job... I too would like to see pics of your setup. How large dia of a log can that Logosol WWmill do, and how easy is it to carry in and set up on a log that is back in the woods a bit?

Thanks for the feedback - I'll try to get some action shots next time. I almost always mill by myself, and so far have forgotten to bring my camera (since I got the WWmill).

I agree with the suggestions - it is always a good idea to coat the ends of the boards. I coated this after I stacked them in the garage. I will move them to their final drying location this weekend.

The WWmill max log weight is 1200 lbs. That should do just about any eight footer up to about 36" diameter. The largest I have done so far is 24". With the ramps it is suprisingly easy to roll a large log up using a cant hook.

The mill itself weighs 85 lbs without the saw. When standing in the middle of it, I can carry it fairly comfortably. I havent taken it into the wood yet, the cutting so far has been on the edge of trees. Assuming there was a fairly clear path, it could be carried a ways in. It would take about 5-6 trips however: (1) mill, (2) ramps, (3) 2x6 feet for the mill, (4) saw & cant hook, (5) fuel and oil. Then all of this plus the lumber would have to be carried back out.

If the logs were really deep in the woods I would probably use my TimberJig instead.

Ted

Last edited:
TedChristiansen said:
The mill itself weighs 85 lbs without the saw. When standing in the middle of it, I can carry it fairly comfortably. I haven't taken it into the wood yet, the cutting so far has been on the edge of trees. Assuming there was a fairly clear path, it could be carried a ways in. It would take about 5-6 trips however: (1) mill, (2) ramps, (3) 2x6 feet for the mill, (4) saw & cant hook, (5) fuel and oil. Then all of this plus the lumber would have to be carried back out.
Ted
Between my Ripsaw bandmill with MS351, plus the Alaskan mill with a 395XP, and the 2 5ft aluminum guide bars and gas etc, I have about 200lbs or so, which I do in two trips by using one of those small wagons. The wagon is also then useful for getting the lumber out of the woods. Next time you fire that thing up, take the camera along. I too generally work alone, which is actually not a good thing considering the equipment and conditions we are working in.

Ted, I am rigged up kind of like you. I use the M7 and have the Big Mill for quartering with. Also use the 385 and it has done a fine job.
I have put 36" to 40" logs up on mine but would not try it out in the woods. And when I did put something that big up there, I put it on blocks on the outside of the lifting arms. I also use a backhoe and parbuckling rig to help. Please be careful out there by youself.
Rodney

Rodney,

Nice to hear from a fellow Logosoler. You are right, a log that large is dangerous to be handling alone. I would use a TimberJig first on a log of that size, or use the WWmill inverted (havent tried that yet).

Thanks for the good advice (being careful). If something doesnt feel safe/right, then you shouldnt do it. I also always have my cellphone in my pocket so I could call for help. I also tell my wife exactly where I am so she could get there if needed.

Woodshop - what kind of wagon do you use? The kind with soft tires? How does it roll in the woods?

Ted

TedChristiansen said:
Woodshop - what kind of wagon do you use? The kind with soft tires? How does it roll in the woods?
Ted

It's just one of those cheapie Harbor Freight $89 flatbed wagons, yes with soft tires. As long as you're not trying to roll it over large rocks or deep ditches, it works fine. It's light enough to lift in and out of my van. I made quick and dirty sides for it out of 1x4 pine to help keep stuff from sliding off when pulling up or down a grade.

This is the wagon I use, cheap, easy in and out of van. (sides I made are not on it in this pic)

ripsaw12310405.jpg

Here is a picture of the WWM in action. The log ramps arent shown because my friend used his tractor to load the cherry and white oak that we had split into halves (cherry) and thirds (white oak) first.

Ted

Ted, which is that in the pic, it's got to be the oak, right? Cherry dosen't come that big? How big was that log when you started? And how did you get it into that cant? You look so relaxed, that saw isn't on is it?

TedChristiansen said:
The WWmill max log weight is 1200 lbs. That should do just about any eight footer up to about 36" diameter. The largest I have done so far is 24". With the ramps it is suprisingly easy to roll a large log up using a cant hook.
Ted
Wet oak is about 5 lbs per bd ft, or around 60lb a cubic ft. If I did the math right, a 36in dia 8ft long oak log has about 56cu ft, or well over 3000lb. If your WWmil has a max log weight of 1200lbs, I think you'd be pushing the envelope a bit with a 36" log. Even a 24" oak log is about 1500 lb. Most softwoods and poplar are less weight, even wet. Poplar is about 3 lb/bd ft wet off the tree, but that would still make a 36" log over 2000 lbs. Bottom line is, they are heavier than I thought they would be. If you're pushing one up a ramp and for some reason it gets away from you, a 2000 lb log would sure do a number on a leg or foot. When I'm milling alone, I worry as much about a log or cant slipping and crushing my foot or breaking my leg than I do getting cut doing something stupid with my saws or mills.

Adrpk,

That is the white oak. I split it into thirds first on the ground using the TimberJig. The cant on the mill (22" wide) is the middle third, which was loaded onto the mill with a tractor.

A friend was taking the pictures - the saw was running, though it sure looks like it wasnt.

Regards,

Ted

Last edited:
Woodshop,

You're probably right about the log weights. Anything larger than 20" in diameter I would probably split in half first (either WWM inverted or using the TimberJig) on the ground then put the half on the mill.

Big logs can also be supported on 6x6 next to the logbeds. Of course a tractor would be needed to lift such a big log up there.

Ted

Latest posts

Back