Walnut stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cus_deluxe

Commie Satan turd
Reaction score
52331073773__DDCE950F-EC96-4FC8-AFB0-80FD66FB3A41.JPG 52331105025__5F7B32BC-AF99-4900-8E8E-090CB6B49EFE.JPG 52331110186__3D2977D9-FE28-4E71-85F6-169EAA319022.JPG so a friend of mine has this stump from a walnut tree and wants to cut some slabs. Whats the best way to maximize this stump? He was thinking crosscut everything, it seems like that will lose a lot of the cool grain in the stump. This will all be done freehand. What say the experts?

I'm going to agree with you. Cross-cutting would just be a waste of a really cool and unique stump you have there. Walnut is just way too nice, especially with all the big flare on that piece. You'll get some amazing slabs from that. Just my opinion, but I'd try to get a chainsaw mill to get the very most from that stump. I've been dying to get my hands on a beauty like that!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I thought about a chainsaw mill, but it would have to be a monster, dont think a 5' mill would cover it. Hes expecting to produce "rough" slabs, with finish work to be done by the buyer. Ill see if i can get him to agree w me that crosscutting is a waste.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about a chainsaw mill, but it would have to be a monster, dont think a 5' mill would cover it. Hes expecting to produce "rough" slabs, with finish work to be done by the buyer. Ill see if i can get him to agree w me that crosscutting is a waste.
I think some mills can be gotten up to 84". I know they're somewhat costly but it could be worth the investment if you do much of this type of work. The benefit of the mill will allow you to make more precise and straight cuts and give you more yield from the log. If you really want to change your buddy's mind, find a smaller log. Make a few cookies then a few rip cuts and he'll see the difference. Walnut is one of the most beautiful woods and you would get some amazing slabs from that stump. Probably easily recover the cost of the mill.

Good thoughts. Hes not in a raging hurry so ill talk to him about some of this stuff. Ill know more when i see it in person. Thanks!
Anytime. Keep us posted. I've been looking everywhere to get a nice walnut stump or crotch to mill. No luck yet but I'll keep looking.

If you absolutely must freehand it, use a chalk line and a level to mark where you want to cut both in the side (vertical wall of the log) and top (recut to give yourself something you can mark up); make sure your lines on the vertical wall are plumb. Then just attach a spirit live to the top handle where it is perpendicular to the saw bar and cut straight down, following both of your lines.
Do all the vertical cuts first and then come back and cut horizontally to free the slabs, use wedges to prevent binding on both cuts. It will not make as straight of a slab as an Alaskan, but it will bet the job done in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the anount of checking and splitting that the stump has , your not going to get as much wood as you see.
If it was me, i would lop the top 6"-8" off, draw a line or two and do a vertical cut with a 32" bar. Once your into thicker stuff just cut from the other side. Make sure your teeth on the chain have been filled the same, to prevent wandering.
Its not a big deal and it sure aint rocket science.
G Vavra
(you might want to flip that thing over to check for embedded rocks before you cut)

With the anount of checking and splitting that the stump has , your not going to get as much wood as you see.
If it was me, i would lop the top 6"-8" off, draw a line or two and do a vertical cut with a 32" bar. Once your into thicker stuff just cut from the other side. Make sure your teeth on the chain have been filled the same, to prevent wandering.
Its not a big deal and it sure aint rocket science.
G Vavra
(you might want to flip that thing over to check for embedded rocks before you cut)
Yes there will be a fair bit of trimming. I think i have him talked into buying a 48" granberg. This wont be the last time he wants something like this done, he does tree work and sort of wants to get into this on the side.

Anytime. Keep us posted. I've been looking everywhere to get a nice walnut stump or crotch to mill. No luck yet but I'll keep looking.

Brian, how hard are you looking and how far do you want to drive? I'm in Frederick MD and I have a couple 20" plus forks on the burn pile at my friends farm. They might be a good bit bigger, I can't remember. I plan on getting my BIL to stick them on my trailer with the front end loader. Around this part of MD there is no problem finding Black Walnut. She may have some stumps from a couple big ones that went down in storms 3-4 years ago. I was supposed to get the big log, well over 30", and one of the farm hands cut it up for firewood. Doc was pizzed at him and kicked him off the farm. I was going to make her a slab table and keep the rest. Anyway, if you want the stump, Ill see if it's still there, Joe.

Yes there will be a fair bit of trimming. I think i have him talked into buying a 48" granberg. This wont be the last time he wants something like this done, he does tree work and sort of wants to get into this on the side.
If your friend is in the Tree Business, and is established and doing well, there is no way on earth he could justify putting a man on a mill all day to cut a dozen or so boards. To the guys that know me, sorry for repeating this. I was fourth generation of a Residential Tree Business, I was licensed and insured before I got out of the business. When Dad retired I got out. His last full year in business he grossed about $800,000. If he wanted to make more money, he would hire another climber and put on another crew and make REAL money. I'm quite certain no one on this site is putting any kids through college with a CSM. I bought my first CSM in the 70's when I was a teenager and had unlimited source of anything that grew in the Mid-Atlantic area and couldn't make more than beer money. Now, if your friend just wants to doodle around with a mill and make benches and stuff, by all means do it. But if by "Getting into" you mean setting up a spin off business, I don't think he would be happy with his investment, Joe.

Brian, how hard are you looking and how far do you want to drive? I'm in Frederick MD and I have a couple 20" plus forks on the burn pile at my friends farm. They might be a good bit bigger, I can't remember. I plan on getting my BIL to stick them on my trailer with the front end loader. Around this part of MD there is no problem finding Black Walnut. She may have some stumps from a couple big ones that went down in storms 3-4 years ago. I was supposed to get the big log, well over 30", and one of the farm hands cut it up for firewood. Doc was pizzed at him and kicked him off the farm. I was going to make her a slab table and keep the rest. Anyway, if you want the stump, Ill see if it's still there, Joe.
I sure appreciate the offer Joe. Frederick is about a 3 hour trip for me. I'd definitely be interested for the right pieces. We have some good walnut here in PA but the big stuff is harder to come by. I'll even help you cut some slabs while I'm there if you want.

I would think you'd have a good supply if you are patient. I just tried using photobucket and it's working for me again. I can get stuff like this any time I want, may take a few weeks, but not hard to come by. I'll check on the big stumps, I'll be on Doc's farm in the next day or so. Let's see if this pic comes up, Joe.

If your friend is in the Tree Business, and is established and doing well, there is no way on earth he could justify putting a man on a mill all day to cut a dozen or so boards. To the guys that know me, sorry for repeating this. I was fourth generation of a Residential Tree Business, I was licensed and insured before I got out of the business. When Dad retired I got out. His last full year in business he grossed about $800,000. If he wanted to make more money, he would hire another climber and put on another crew and make REAL money. I'm quite certain no one on this site is putting any kids through college with a CSM. I bought my first CSM in the 70's when I was a teenager and had unlimited source of anything that grew in the Mid-Atlantic area and couldn't make more than beer money. Now, if your friend just wants to doodle around with a mill and make benches and stuff, by all means do it. But if by "Getting into" you mean setting up a spin off business, I don't think he would be happy with his investment, Joe.
Very true. Cutting regular lumber is not worth the hassle. I only go with my chainsaw mill for the big stuff or remote location. It's great for what it is but surely not a production tool.

I would think you'd have a good supply if you are patient. I just tried using photobucket and it's working for me again. I can get stuff like this any time I want, may take a few weeks, but not hard to come by. I'll check on the big stumps, I'll be on Doc's farm in the next day or so. Let's see if this pic comes up, Joe.

I can't see the pic Joe. Probably on my end. I'm fine with waiting. A three hour drive will take some planning anyway. I'll be more than happy to bring some equipment down and help out too. We'll keep in touch and figure something out. I'm always up for a good road trip anyway.

View attachment 594131 View attachment 594130 View attachment 594129 so a friend of mine has this stump from a walnut tree and wants to cut some slabs. Whats the best way to maximize this stump? He was thinking crosscut everything, it seems like that will lose a lot of the cool grain in the stump. This will all be done freehand. What say the experts?

I have already had an opportunity to use a five foot bar on alaskan mill. Once you have an Alaskan setup lengthening isn't too much trouble.Mine began as a 36" set. That is an Ash stump sliced up in my avatar. The fanciest Walnut slice I have is from a tree 17" DBH ,the cut I made for the man was just at ground level. The roots going into trunk are remarkable in many cases. Just a thought from my limted experience in the Ozarks. I bought the 60" bar "just in case" as in this oneIMG_20170802_160825.jpg@ 72" which I could have used for one more slice on the Ash stump which wood have been a 7 1/2 foot long by 66" table top the way the root buttresses stretched. The large unusual is where money is in CSM work, not the boards from BSM work which seems more their forte'. Enjoy what you find hidden in these logs or stumps. Please stay safe

Attachments

• IMG_20170802_160825.jpg
    IMG_20170802_160825.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
I have already had an opportunity to use a five foot bar on alaskan mill. Once you have an Alaskan setup lengthening isn't too much trouble.Mine began as a 36" set. That is an Ash stump sliced up in my avatar. The fanciest Walnut slice I have is from a tree 17" DBH ,the cut I made for the man was just at ground level. The roots going into trunk are remarkable in many cases. Just a thought from my limted experience in the Ozarks. I bought the 60" bar "just in case" as in this oneView attachment 594647@ 72" which I could have used for one more slice on the Ash stump which wood have been a 7 1/2 foot long by 66" table top the way the root buttresses stretched. The large unusual is where money is in CSM work, not the boards from BSM work which seems more their forte'. Enjoy what you find hidden in these logs or stumps. Please stay safe
Thanks Tony! Yeah im imterested to see what we can get out of this thing, ill
Keep this thrad posted, though it will prob be a few weeks before anything meaningful happens haha.

Maybe find some practice logs to experiment with before tackling that big stump. My buddy had some poplar logs laying around that we started with. Made a few benches and a picnic table. It helped to get started before we touched any valuable wood. As Tony said, the big crazy stuff is where the money is. It also helps just to figure out what tools you'll need and setup etc. Many great threads in these forums and guys are always willing to help and give advice. Milling is the easy part. Setup and first cut is where most of the learning comes into it.

Back