Want more umph... (from 55cc to 70-75cc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Chinaski

Number 37
Reaction score
Looking for advice to step up from my MS290 (56cc) to something in the 70-75cc range

I'm going to use it as my main go to saw for disaster relief work (10-12 times/yr) and for firewood (4 cords/yr or so). I've got a MS200 for small stuff, and a Husky 3120 for the bigger stuff, so this one is going to be used 75% of the time.

Considerations:
want something that will last and be tough
Not particularly partial to brands or colors.
plan on 20-24" bar
Dealer support isn't much of a concern (very weak on all dealers [that actually work on saws] in central AR), not opposed to ordering online or from out of state.
would like current models so I can get/order parts for them
like to keep the head weight under 16lbs (lol @ advertised weights)
I'll sell off the ms290, and my $ are tight, so I'm looking for the best long term bang for the buck

I was initially considering the stihl MS460, the husky 576xp, and was orig drawn to the makita 6421 w/a BB kit (due to pricing), but pulling away due to reports of poor antivibe mounts etc

What saw in the 75cc-ish range do you like and more importantly WHY?

Better yet, go up to 82cc...

McCulloch Pro Mac 800/850... Not too heavy (probably a tad more than your weight limit) and cuts like a sexually abused primate...

Probably would end up paying out the arse for it though. The 'collectors' seem to be bidding up and up on the 82cc Macs... to the point that some went for 800 bucks!! :dizzy:

MS460 is the only model currently available in that displacement. It's good. If you can find a 372XPW its good too.

Replacing the 290, and using the bar lengths you are talking about, I'd grab a new 440. About the same weight as a 361/362, less weight than the 460, I have one, nice but heavy for all day use, and plenty of power to do what you are talking about.
Then once you wear it out you can put the 460 top end on it with a little work and have a hell of a hot rod that's light and VERY powerful!

I have a ms460, 7900, and a 372XP and would go for the 460 first, the 372 second and the 7900 last. The 460 seems to have the best power to me and the 372 is the smoothest. I bought all of mine used so I'm in them about the same money. The loggers around here don't use 7900's, and If I were way up in the woods for long periods of time I would want a Stihl or Husky. Parts will be a lot easier to come by for those two should you need them.

372xpw, 440, 7900, and 460 in that order is my picks. The xpw or the 7900 will be the smoothest and the 7900 the strongest. The 440 is the lighter more nimble saw between it and the 460. You already have a 3120 and said 24" bar so the 372, 7900, and 440 would be where i'm choosing between. A 7900 if you want to mailorder all parts will be the strongest. The av mounts aren't that weak but don't really jerk on it when pinched. If you break them you're pulling too hard.

7900 and don't worry about the sky-is-falling reports of AV problems. I have several and none have any AV problems (and springs are only a few bucks each and simple to replace). They are as a bullet-proof as any of the saws listed. You can wreck the AV on any saw if you pull on it like a silverback gorilla. If you get pinched, wedge or cut it out. And since you don't seem worried about local dealer support, that is a non-issue. BTW, I can have just about anything I need from Dolmar the next day, and the parts are significantly cheaper than Husky or Stihl.

vs. the 7900-

The 460 is heavier, weaker, not as smooth, and more expensive.
The 372 is weaker and more expensive.
The 372 XPW is weaker and more expensive.
The 440 is weaker, not as smooth, and more expensive.
The 576 is heavier, weaker, and more expensive.

Being that my first two saws were a ms 170 & 290, that any stihl saw from a 361/362 up to a 460 will be a great improvement over the 290.

if money is an issue and you're not worried about brand, I'd go for a 7900. But I've never used one, so can't comment!

Personally, I'd go for a 576xp autotune, as I imagine disaster relief sees you working at different altitudes, climates etc? We don't really have disaster relief here, so not really sure! The one I used seemed like a very strong saw, not sure what the real weight is.

Get a 390xp if you can find one at a good price since you already have a 3120. It's a tad over 16lbs for the PO, and is a monster when ported. What some folks are missing is that your 3120 bars will fit a 372 and a 390. In fact, an mm'd 390 can pull a 32-36" bar fairly well, even in hardwoods, and that would work for both of those saws. I doubt even the Dolmarados would suggest a 32" bar for hardwoods on a 7900.

I really like my 7900

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

One thing no one has mentioned is where is the support going to be 10-15-20 years from now. My first choice would be the 460, then the 372/440 as a toss up. The 7900 gets rave review from the majority of their owners, the only issue I see with it is support, were I live you'd be working on anything on the saw yourself, ordering parts on the net. It's the only issue I have with Dolmar, their weak dealer and distrobution network. Will they be here 15-20 years from now? I feel confident that Stihl and husky will be here and with the tens of thousands of 046's, 460's, 044/440 and 372's that have been sold parts will always be easy to find for many years in the future. Other than the 50/60 loyal, diehard 7900 fans on here, you just don't hear or see much out of them, I think it a regional think, as most of the guys that own them here are fairly concentrated. Which ever saw you buy it will be a big improvement in performance over the saw you currently run. I find that a 460 will do anything I want to do, and was the main reason I sold my 660.
If you do consider a Stihl be sure and ask if the "buy a six pack of Ultra Mix and double your warranty to two years" promotion is still running. I gave 875.00 for mine with a 25" bar and got a couple extra loops of chain thrown in, I believe the dealers have had a price increase since December. I also run a 044 basically the same saw as the 440, if you are weight sensitive the 440 is a more nimble saw than the 460, it handles more like a 60cc saw.

Back