want to convert garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmopar1k

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all- I want to convert my single car garage to a wood shed. It is too small to park our truck in so it gets used as a shed anyway. The walls on the sides are four feet high concrete then six foot of wood. What should I do to convert this over. It also has a concrete floor. Vents? Blowers? Any and all help appreciated. I do live in the city so another building is not an option.
Thanks in advance:greenchainsaw:

Is it a stand alone garage or attached to the house. Stand alone would be much easier, just a couple of vents in the roof and you should be good to go. A run of plywood above the concrete so the wood doesn't hit between studs on outside walls.

Attached you would need a vapor barrier between the house and the garage and some sort of lining on the walls to the house for termite/pest control. There can be a lot of things either in the wood or living in a wood pile that you don't want to invite into the house.

Matt

You don't have to do anything to it .Just stack the wood,it wll dry,no problems.If you are worried about moisture just leave the door open.

It might not be a bad idea to lay some wooden pallets but it isn't neccessary.

Better get a couple mouse traps while your at it..
And a cheap jar of peanut butter for bait.

If you wanted to put some vents in the roof it might be a good idea for in the summer when I could get hot in the closed garage. But that would be just to help clear out the smell of the wood when hot. Otherwise, just some mouse traps.

Like I said before, maybe a run of plywood if it is not already there. Just to keep the split wood from hitting between the studs and having problems with the looks of the outside of the garage. Some recommend pallets to help with air circulation under the wood. I use pallets for my wood that I store outside unsplit just to keep it off the ground.

Matt

Better than a trap

Some years back,about 25.I used to store about cord at a time in my breezeway.Former life with former wife.

The danged mice thought this would be dandy place to live,my ex thought otherwise.My daughter,then a little girl got a golden ferrit.Stinky was his name for obvious reasons.

What ever it was about that souped up weasel ,the mice didn't want any thing to do with that woodpile with a ferrit living in a cage so close.Every so often,I uncaged him.If there was a retarded mouse in the area,old Stinky was dining on him in about a minute.

Is it a stand alone garage or attached to the house. Stand alone would be much easier, just a couple of vents in the roof and you should be good to go. A run of plywood above the concrete so the wood doesn't hit between studs on outside walls.

Attached you would need a vapor barrier between the house and the garage and some sort of lining on the walls to the house for termite/pest control. There can be a lot of things either in the wood or living in a wood pile that you don't want to invite into the house.

Matt
Attached gargage, hm, just stack your wood against the far wall (outside one) build a 10-16" center set of uprights where your garage door is, stack from front to back rather than sideways imho, this keeps it away from the house, leave walking room on the house side, protect the house by laying a thin line of borax against the house to prevent ants from entering your domicile., then start stacking! Forget the roof vents idea, silly, if you really need ventilation just do a couple of 2" holes just below the eaves and screen them, that'd be at the top of your wood wall on the poney wall, this assumes your're going to close off the garage entrance to near air tight (hm). If the wood is a bit wet lay your pile on some sort of framework (palettes etc) to get it off the concrete. If its a standard type size 1 car garage by my quick mental calculations you should be able to fit around 4+ cord in there np and still wash the side of your house and have a place to hide your new saw and a case of beer :D If need be make it wide enough for your sleepin' bag ;P

My Friday 0.02$ worthless semi feelin' good fer da evening................so far ( sound track of Jaws playing)

:cheers:

Serge

What ever it was about that souped up weasel ,the mice didn't want any thing to do with that woodpile with a ferrit living in a cage so close.Every so often,I uncaged him.If there was a retarded mouse in the area,old Stinky was dining on him in about a minute.

This is why I keep coming back. I did not expect to read about Stinky the ferret and retard mice tonight when I logged in, but brought a smile to my face.

Mopar, get that wood up off the floor a little, and you should be fine.

This is why I keep coming back. I did not expect to read about Stinky the ferret and retard mice tonight when I logged in, but brought a smile to my face.

Mopar, get that wood up off the floor a little, and you should be fine.

'Stinky the ferret'??????? Dead retarded mice? Aw come on guys, I'd like ta finish at least one drink tonight without barfing with mirth :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

GAH!!!!

:)

Stinky was a little bad azz allright .I'm glad he didn't weigh about 50 pounds.If he did likely he could whip a grizzly bear.He was just like a wolverine only smaller,good thing.:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh,I forgot about my cats,George was like a small lion,weighed 22 pounds,not fat.Bad tempered cat,bite everybody but me.He knew in his feline brain that I would snuff all 9 lives if he did.

Then there was Freckles the three legged one.He was almost as good of a mouser as Stinky.He smelled a lot better also.

He said it's a detached garage BTW, just leave the door open.:dizzy:
Dang these eyes! You has ruined my day...............good thing its night, and hey, near ta a full moon too !!
AROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Werewolves of London!

(hey us good uns are eatin' turkey soup eh)

:D

Latest posts

Back