Want to gain knowledge...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjcard41

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’ve been really wanting to get into deeper knowledge of 2 strokes and chainsaws. They fascinate me in all out honesty and I love to tinker. Some of you guys amaze me on your knowledge of saws. I can do basic saw maintenance and I’ve always been very adamant on maintenance, but I want to dig deeper.

How did you begin? Some of you are experts in carbs? Do any of you recommend a manual? I hear talk of advancing the timing and I have a very little idea of what that entirely means and what it does. The guys that do port work just amaze me and I would like to be that guy in a couple of years. Where is a good place to start?
And now I have plenty of time to tinker around in my shop for at least a couple of months, unless I end up getting sick.
Thanks for your replies.

Best way to get started-Get a XL12 homelite with good compression-install fuel line,filter,name brand carb kit and clean out tank and muffler --go cut wood with satisfaction and do not blame me for CAD and the 40 different saws you have...:sweet: Husqvarna 268 easy-mechanic friendly to work on also...David--Put word out to friends,family,coworkers that you want cheap,free,non running and parts saws--they will show up with time....

One thing that helped me (note the handle, I'm still a Youngling :laughing: ) was a guide to reading pistons. I usually buy used equipment and being able to pop off the muffler and tell how the the tool was being ran was very helpful.

Also googling the problem with arborsite in the heading.

Welcome (even though you've been here longer than me;)) and good luck,

~TW

There is no better way to learn that to dive in and pull saws apart, they don`t have to be expensive saws as they are all similar in their internal workings. Don`t be afraid of making mistakes its just part of the learning process, there is plenty of derelect 2 stroke engines around to play with. The amount of info out there on the net is mind boggling but one needs to work through it all to get an understanding of the way 2 strokes work and what can be done to make them work better. It`s only taken me 56 years of working on these things to get to where I am now..;)

Everyone knows the best way to learn about saw repairs is to buy a Husqvarna.
It will provide you with a lifetime of work.

Go to a local dealer and see if you can buy/beg/steal a junk saw.
Don't get a obsolete model if possible.
Then get a repair manual. That, plus youtube and you should get off to a good start.

Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone.
I think my wife is completely fine with me having this hobby since it will get me out of the house and into the shed, especially with the stay at home orders now.
@stihl86 I’ve never owned a Husky! Will definitely look at finding something.

Back