want to start milling, what do I need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been cutting tees for years and have always wanted to mill some lumber of my own, I have a large saw (394xp Husqvarna) so what else do I need to start milling?

if you can provide any links to stuff that would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

I've been cutting tees for years and have always wanted to mill some lumber of my own, I have a large saw (394xp Husqvarna) so what else do I need to start milling?

if you can provide any links to stuff that would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

To help you get better or more specific answers here are a few questions you might care to answer.
What sort of trees (type and size) are you cutting that you want to mill?
What do you have in mind to do with the lumber - or what sizes do you want to be able to cut?

To help you get better or more specific answers here are a few questions you might care to answer.
What sort of trees (type and size) are you cutting that you want to mill?
What do you have in mind to do with the lumber - or what sizes do you want to be able to cut?
well, I've had some nice looking 12 to 24 inch yellow pine that went to the dump that I felt like it would have made some decent lumber as well as hard woods of all types, oak, pretty much any kind that grows here in central NC but if I had to pick then probably the hard woods, as for what to do with the lumber, well, I have always had a hand milled / hand built shed in mind as well as other things, I would want to cut different sizes like maybe 6x6 4x4 2x4 or 1x6 1x8 1x10 1x12 and such.

Going by what I have read on this site so far , I would go for a 36" bar x 3/8 low pro x .050 gage chain , there are numerous option's for chain and bar combo's as I am sure some of the other guy's will point out , I myself use 3/8 x .063 standard full comp ripping chain . I intend to change to the low pro stuff as soon as I can . Here are a couple of link's for good info , Oh check out Bob's Bil mill . I am sure some of the other guy's can also recommend what sort of mill to use , such as the Alaskan or Granberg etc. Cheer's MM http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=54548 ......... http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=54307 ... Ps my setup is a Logosol style mill

well, I've had some nice looking 12 to 24 inch yellow pine that went to the dump that I felt like it would have made some decent lumber as well as hard woods of all types, oak, pretty much any kind that grows here in central NC but if I had to pick then probably the hard woods, as for what to do with the lumber, well, I have always had a hand milled / hand built shed in mind as well as other things, I would want to cut different sizes like maybe 6x6 4x4 2x4 or 1x6 1x8 1x10 1x12 and such.

Good comprehensive answer. Like most answers money is a key factor

Firstly I wouldn't recommend using a chainsaw mill to cut too many narrow (1") boards else you end up a lot of your log into sawdust. If you have the readies I reckon something like Woodshops CS powered ripsaw would be a reasonable way to go. (His thread on how to mill is brilliant) If this is not within your budget then I agree with Matilda's Mates answer of a basic CS mill (or both is you have the cash). Even though your seem to be talking a max of 24" I would still go with a 36" bar and mill. By the time you put the CS on the mill you will lose 4" and there will be times when you will want to get around lumps and bumps on a trunk.

Cheers

The nice thing about doing your own milling is that you can forget about standard sizes....mill what you want...... If the log will give you 1x14 3/8th thats what I would mill them at.

I have a CSM and love it, but a CSM is much more efficient on large lumber. A bandsaw mill would make lots more sense whem milling small lumber. I might just have to find one myself.

Latest posts

Back