Wanting a firewood saw capable of making some lumber. Suggestions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spruce/Pine/Fir is a catchall designation for coniferous species used in commercial framing lumber.

This message brought to you by the thoroughly annoying folks at the "Department of Redundancy Department,"

I thought it was the American Redundancy Dept. of America:cheers:

I'd like some thing light enough not to tire me while cutting firewood yet big enough to cut a few dozen beams 4"x18" and smaller.

I only cut a couple cords per year and the wood I'd be milling would be Doug Fir or Pine.

I have a MS260 as my firewood saw now and it seems too small about 60% of the time.

Physically, the Husky 372 and Stihl 460 seem about as big as my stature would want to be swinging around for firewood. Would they be sufficient for the milling I want to do though?

Open to all suggestions. With every nickel counting though, I'll need the most bang for the buck... and I'm not all that keen to buy used...unless it wasn't used much and it was a screaming deal.

I would say the MS460 would be choice between the two, more HP and torque.

I'll speak up for a 372 with a 24" bar. All I do is firewood cutting. The 372 is light enough to not tire me out running around on ten to twelve inch stuff, but has enough grunt to split the occasional 24" log that I have to mill down to fit the firebox door on the boiler. The 24" bar is great for balancing out the saw (if that matters), but more than that, it gives me reach into the wood pile and down to the ground without the effort a shorter bar would require. Like it enough, I'm getting another one next year so I have a couple after the 2010 EPA foolishness.

I would suggest considering a dolly 7900. It would be a nice compliment to the 260. I will hold up well to some "occasional" milling. I "broke" mine in milling some white oak slabs. And its 'bout the same weight as the 372 or 460. It's good bang for the buck too.

Good advice. 7900 has great anti-vibe, and a well balanced tool with a 28" bar. GT's 7900 finished milling where my 075 fell apart, literally. and we didn't break it, just because the muffler was glowing in the dark.:hmm3grin2orange:

If a Dolmar dealer is not convenient, then I'd recommend an MS460, and get the dual port muffler cover, and even an 8-pin sprocket for firewood or milling.
I use my 460 setup as described, with a 32" bar for milling, bucking and but it spends most of its time wearing a 20" or 24" bar just fine. It's a great partner to the 260 you have now, myself, I have an 028WB as a sidekick, and the two compliment well.

I did buy a used 075 for milling, its a powerful saw for sure, but its slow as molasses in January for milling, and not much better for bucking, then there's the vibrations. A more modern saw, with higher rpms and better anti-vibe would be better, shop around for a good used saw, there are good sources on AS.

Sometimes I wonder if a 660 would have been the better buy, but firewood comes first, and the 460 really accomplishes all I need for my 10cords per year, plus milling. I'll be adding a 90cc saw, and possibly a more modern/faster 120cc saw in the future.(CADfever)

Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited:
Just me, but I'd muffler mod the 260 and keep cutting firewood with it for a very long time and get something used and BIG for milling.

Like the idea, BlackCatBone, and as Tzed250 said, maybe you (RustyB) ought to think about the 3 saw plan.

Thanks! I did the muffler mod long ago though...along w/ a little choke mod and an adjustable 026 carb. I like the saw fine in wood 8" and less but I have been turning down a lot (for me any way) of free wood simply because the saw feels underpowered in the 12-18" diameter stuff.

Otherwise, I like your idea and it's one that I pondered a while back and then again after I posted. It's not like I'm a big time cutter or anything so I wouldn't need a larger firewood saw that many times per year.

I'd have to agree with grandpa tractor about the 7900 for the reasons he listed.

Vibration? Go 372xp or 7900, in that order.
Horsepower? Go 7900 or 460, in that order.
Air Filtration? 372xp, then the 7900.
Warranty? Go 7900 (1 year regardless); 372 - 90 days for professional use, 1 year homeowner use. 460 - 90 days, period.

However, you may want a used 395xp or 660. I've not run a 395xp, but I hear the vibration is less than the 660. I personally think (know) the vibration on my two 460s was greater than my 660.

The 395 and 660 will obviously be better and faster for milling, but I think the others will work too, just not as fast. And if you want to sling the saws around from time-to-time, they are a little more versatile and less tiring.

So, financially speaking, buying used would seem to make the most sense. But, knowing how some people can trash mechanical things like this, I'd be very nervous about buying used....unless the saw had few hours on it AND I knew the person had a history of taking care of his equipment. But, where do I find this saw and person? Any takers here on AS??

Hey CPR, this next bit is for you too.

I know this will seem self-serving, but you asked. I have a newsed 372xp with a warranty from the Husky dealer - he will transfer it. I just purchased the saw on March 07, 2008 and it has zero hours on it. It comes complete with everything as you would buy it new from a dealer, but at a reduced price. PM if you are interested.

Just a thought or two...or three...or...

Last edited:
Good advice. 7900 has great anti-vibe, and a well balanced tool with a 28" bar.

...then there's the vibrations. A more modern saw, with higher rpms and better anti-vibe would be better, shop around for a good used saw, there are good sources on AS.

Sometimes I wonder if a 660 would have been the better buy, but firewood comes first, and the 460 really accomplishes all I need for my 10cords per year, plus milling. I'll be adding a 90cc saw, and possibly a more modern/faster 120cc saw in the future.(CADfever)

Sorry for the ramble.

I like the post, sorry, I was 'rambling' some of the same stuff while you were posting.:)

Yeah, but I cracked 'im first! Nyah nyah na nyah nyah! :clap: heeheeheehee:greenchainsaw:

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

You Did IT AGAIN!!!!

p.s. Notice that the HAs are in Razorback Red. :clap:

Actually, I like the Jayhawks. I just like the Razorbacks better, hometown thing, you know...

However, you may want a used 395xp or 660. I've not run a 395xp, but I hear the vibration is less than the 660. I personally think (know) the vibration on my two 460s was greater than my 660.

I've milled 6 hours straight with my 395 hand-held and while my wrists and hands are somewhat sore from pushing afterwards I can't really say that the vibration is a concern at all. Overall I think Husky has a better antivibe system; the handles just seem to feel more separated from the body. I'm certainly not knocking others though as I haven't exactly used a ton of different saws (I'm only 25, so give me time...). Never used it for bucking much because it always has ripping chain & a 33" on it. My 181SE is almost identical in weight with a 28" but a little smaller, and I've spent a whole day bucking 20+ inch D Fir comfortably. It will do a decent job on the mill on logs under 18" or so, but it can't compete with the 395. I presume the newer 281 would be a bit lighter?

Here in British Columbia, SPF lumber covers Engelmann and White spruces, Lodgepole, Jack (rare) and Ponderosa pines, and Subalpine Fir. Douglas Fir is not a true fir and is graded with Larch. The other true Firs (Amabilis, Grand, and Noble) are usually graded with Western Hemlock.

Last edited:
Seems to me you are asking an awful awful LOT from one saw!! Ligh and agile enough to cut comfortably, but strong and pwerful enough to mill with. My 046BB was pourpose built, and 24" is pushing my luck milling hardwoods!!
The 372 is a fine choice for cutting what you want, but milling it, I can't see it working out for you!!
I like a lot about the 7900, but have yet to hear a good thing about it's milling abilities. But it's a fine falling/bucking saw.
I have nothing but good to say about the 460, but I am not sure that is enough saw either!!

Honestly, I think it's time to step up to a 60-70cc falling/bucking saw, keep the 260 for limbing and light duty and get a 90cc saw for milling!
I find mysel reaching more and more for my 046 as my main choice, yeah it's heavy, but I can cut a lot more and a lot faster than with a smaller saw and I have a bad back.

Now if by "milling" you mean ripping blocks in half or quarters with the bark making "noodles" any of these will work, but by you're definition I am assuming you want to cut these logs into lumber.

I'd like some thing light enough not to tire me while cutting firewood yet big enough to cut a few dozen beams 4"x18" and smaller.

I only cut a couple cords per year and the wood I'd be milling would be Doug Fir or Pine.

I have a MS260 as my firewood saw now and it seems too small about 60% of the time.

Physically, the Husky 372 and Stihl 460 seem about as big as my stature would want to be swinging around for firewood. Would they be sufficient for the milling I want to do though?

Open to all suggestions. With every nickel counting though, I'll need the most bang for the buck... and I'm not all that keen to buy used...unless it wasn't used much and it was a screaming deal.

This is what granberg recommends-under FAQ.

The general rule is, the more power your saw engine has, the faster the cutting speed. Almost any engine that runs, will cut, it just depends on how much time you want to spend milling your lumber.

General Guide for Chainsaw Power

Log Size Engine Size
up to 18" 55cc to 67cc
18" to 36" 68cc to 85cc
36" & larger 86cc to 120cc

Hey CPR, this next bit is for you too.

I know this will seem self-serving, but you asked. I have a newsed 372xp with a warranty from the Husky dealer - he will transfer it. I just purchased the saw on March 07, 2008 and it has zero hours on it. It comes complete with everything as you would buy it new from a dealer, but at a reduced price. PM if you are interested.

Just a thought or two...or three...or...

Must resist, must resist.

Thanks, so much for the offer, but I really can't justify it for this year's budget. White DeMo needs some attention, too.

Must resist, must resist.

Thanks, so much for the offer, but I really can't justify it for this year's budget. White DeMo needs some attention, too.

Can you hear it CPR?

The newsed 372xp, the flagship saw for Husky, the silky smooth (same say) king of the 70cc class, the masterpiece of saws is calling your name.

"CPRRRR, CPR, CPR, CPRRRR, Buy me..."

CAD is the most infectious around here, isn't it?

Sorry CPR, couldn't resist.

Latest posts

Back