Was HOT at the Bunyan show

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I was glad we left early in the AM for the show as it was too hot for fun by noon so we left right after. First time for us at the new site. Lots of high buck firewood machinery to slobber over. Wasn't much of a crowd along wood burner alley today with temp around 90. One dealer had a decent deal on Oregon number 72 loops for 20" bars, 70 and 72 driver 3/8 050 I think?, $11. Didn't buy any, have a three year supply at the shop now. Wonder how many AS site guys I was right beside and didn't even know it? LOL

I'm heading up early tomorrow morning. Sounds like it might be even hotter tomorrow.:blob2:

But the last one I went to in Nelsonville it was about 40 degrees and drizzly all day so I guess it could be worse. Sure wish it would be somewhere in between though.

I'm looking to check out portable mills while up there tomorrow. Were there many there to look at?

Last edited:
rain and ankle deep mud used to be the norm for the show in nelsonville but the fair grounds seem to be a lot cleaner

I was there all day

I was there all day saturday.Saw chain saw 57(Larry from HOS).Had a great time.Will be back next year.Really like the Rayco splitter. That GArn boiler looked interesting.

rain and ankle deep mud used to be the norm for the show in nelsonville but the fair grounds seem to be a lot cleaner

After slogging through the mud there last year, the heat and dry weather didn't seem too bad. Sunday was hotter and I had seen all I wanted to see by 1:00 - plus the Steelers were playing.

There was a lady chainsaw carver there - Dee Dee's Creations. Pretty girl and she did nice carving. Seems like I had seen pictures of her work in one of the carving threads but couldn't find it. Anyway, I told her about this site. Maybe she'll grace us with some posts.

We were there all day Sunday and had a good time despite the heat. We've been shopping around for a portable mill and there were several to look at. I also got to fondle a Dolmar for the first time. They look like very nice, very well built saws. Like everyone else, I registered to win the 5100.

4 hour drive each way was a little rough, but we'll likely be back next year.....unless temps hit another record high.

Saturday was a bit warm also,in the 90's I believe.

The assortment of splitters and processers was amazing,I never saw so many types.If you have enough money you can buy anything.

I suppose it would be neat to just drop logs on a chain conveyer and split wood comes out the the other end.For 20 thousand and up though you would have to sell a bunch of firewood to justify the price.

What was a fine idea though was an adjustable heigth 6 or 8 way wedge on some of the larger splitters.I saw one that split little bitty chunks,then wrapped them in bundles to sell for campfire wood for a kings ransom ,figuring the cord price they would fetch.

Saturday was a bit warm also,in the 90's I believe.

The assortment of splitters and processers was amazing,I never saw so many types.If you have enough money you can buy anything.

I suppose it would be neat to just drop logs on a chain conveyer and split wood comes out the the other end.For 20 thousand and up though you would have to sell a bunch of firewood to justify the price.

What was a fine idea though was an adjustable heigth 6 or 8 way wedge on some of the larger splitters.I saw one that split little bitty chunks,then wrapped them in bundles to sell for campfire wood for a kings ransom ,figuring the cord price they would fetch.

I'm like you. Would be neat to run logs through a machine and watch it spit firewood. The high end of those rigs is way over 50K. Hard to imagine paying off a 50K machine at our local firewood prices. First one of those machines I ever saw run was at the 'Bunyan a few years ago. An Amish man was beside me and he said, "about only one problem with one of those". Whats that I said? " We saw logs like that for lumber and they wont process what we cut for firewood, crooked trees and tops"

None the less they are fun to watch.

Have to admit, I did cringe as I watched some of those logs getting busted up into firewood or ground into mulch.

Some would have been so-so saw logs but most were little pecker poles from what I saw.You would not believe the saw logs that get sliced and diced every year.

The cheapskate mills around here will give you about firewood prices or less .They will gladly sell you good oak for around 3 bucks a board foot though.:(

Here in the middle of A-hi-ya there are several processors who buy logs from the South East part of the state and let me tell you there is some real nice saw logs being busted up for firewood. A logger next to me has a huge pile of Oak saw logs sitting in his yard and when logging is slow they cut and split (saws and splitter) that oak and sell it for $255 for all they can pile on a Std 10' bed dump truck. I guess there is more Oak around than is needed for sawing?

In these parts you can buy so-so logs for a dime a bd/ft ,delivered by the trimmers.I get them for nothing .Some of the firewood guys buy from the trimmers by the ton .

If you were going to mill yard trees ,a metal detecter would be a must have item.The good white oak I have in my saw log pile were not yard trees,removals for a housing project.If I had the time to finish my rubber tired mill,I could fill my field up wth decent logs for not too much money,if any.It's going to take me untill mid winter just to split and stack the mountain of firewood as it is.

In these parts you can buy so-so logs for a dime a bd/ft ,delivered by the trimmers.I get them for nothing .Some of the firewood guys buy from the trimmers by the ton .

If you were going to mill yard trees ,a metal detecter would be a must have item.The good white oak I have in my saw log pile were not yard trees,removals for a housing project.If I had the time to finish my rubber tired mill,I could fill my field up wth decent logs for not too much money,if any.It's going to take me untill mid winter just to split and stack the mountain of firewood as it is.

Al, by "yard" I meant the lot at his business, not yard like his lawn, sorry. Lots of timbering around these parts amounts to a log or two from a given seller. Instead of trucking one or two logs to a mill he piles them at the "yard" and piles them by species. When he has a truckload they go to the mill. Seems like more of the oak pile gets cut up and split for firewood than is sold for lumber. The logs they are cutting up for wood sure look like good saw logs to me but. what do i know? LOL

It was HOT on Saturday. I thought there were fewer dealers than last year; especially general "stuff" and heating equipment. Still a great show though.
Phil

I did notice that while the show was WAY bigger than the Nelsonville years, there did appear to be less vendors selling the "stuff", as you put it. A lot less small items like gloves, hand tools, axes, axe handles, etc...

Al, by "yard" I meant the lot at his business, not yard like his lawn, sorry.
I knew what you meant.

There are several mills and one exporter of high quality veneer logs locally.

Those "peelers" come from all over the midwest ,lots of them.The two brothers that own the business started out as contract fallers,then gypos then timber cruisers and found their nitche buying and selling.They do extremely well financially.There is money in it if you are in the right place at the right time with the right contacts.Something I know very little about as it is a closed fraternity or so it seems.

It was HOT on Saturday. I thought there were fewer dealers than last year; especially general "stuff" and heating equipment. Still a great show though.
Phil

I believe you are right, seemed like fewer small vendors.

Did anyone catch the Husky demo on chainsaw safety and dropping the trees with the bore cut? Had a couple young boys determine the height of the poles by sighting with the yardstick. They placed a plastic soft drink bottle on the spot. First one came down and just caught the bottle and knocked it away. I'm sure they've done that more than once. I think at least at least half the presentation was on chainsaw safety and PPE - very well done.

Latest posts

Back