Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maowwg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So at the risk of starting a war…

And just for fun....

I can buy an OEM replacement bar for between $25 and $30 and often much cheaper on Facebook Marketplace. That bar would guide an 18 inch 62 drive link low profile 3/8 inch chain. This would fit about every Poulan and some of the Echos (my400) and goodness knows what else and cut bunches of firewood. These saws use a ton of oil pumping it out all over the place and leaking when not in use. BTW, If I buy an imported bar from Walmart, I’m at roughly $13.

A gallon of bar oil is somewhere between $10 and $15 depending upon what you get.

So for the cost of 1 to 2 gallons of bar oil, you can replace a bar.

I’ve read in about a dozen places how horrible it is to use free waste motor oil as bar oil. The idea being it’s not as sticky and therefore doesn’t lubricate as well. Ok I get th argument. Probably makes sense for pro saws with expensive bars.

Can someone convince me that it’s so much worse to use free waste oil that doing so would trash the bar before I hit the economic break even point?

When the consumable guide bar and a gallon of consumable bar oil cost so close to the same amount, everything’s disposable/consumable. Not that the Poulan isn’t also disposable, but what about the oil delivery system can possibly be harmed by motor oil? Can’t think of any issues there.

Ok been there done that in the beginning. The oil system pumped waste oil no problem. I noticed chunks of the metal missing from the bar groove edges. The bar didn’t last long at all.
Look on line for new bar oil sales that offers free shipping.

Here’s how to buy bar oil,
Even cheaper place, https://www.ruralking.com/1-gallon-bar-and-chain-oil-10005954

You own the gear, you are free to run what you want and explain it away any way you see clear to try and justify it.
I get to pull apart and repair a few saws a year that have suffered the used oil cheap out- repairs are never cheap, cleaning the crankcases is never fun.
I guess it would be easier to spot a black streak flinging off of the bar tip to check the oiler is working- that might be the one positive you could possibly take out of it.

And just for fun....

I can buy an OEM replacement bar for between $25 and $30 and often much cheaper on Facebook Marketplace. That bar would guide an 18 inch 62 drive link low profile 3/8 inch chain. This would fit about every Poulan and some of the Echos (my400) and goodness knows what else and cut bunches of firewood. These saws use a ton of oil pumping it out all over the place and leaking when not in use. BTW, If I buy an imported bar from Walmart, I’m at roughly $13.

A gallon of bar oil is somewhere between $10 and $15 depending upon what you get.

I’ve read in about a dozen places how horrible it is to use free waste motor oil as bar oil. The idea being it’s not as sticky and therefore doesn’t lubricate as well. Ok I get th argument. Probably makes sense for pro saws with expensive bars.

Can someone convince me that it’s so much worse to use free waste oil that doing so would trash the bar before I hit the economic break even point?

When the consumable guide bar and a gallon of consumable bar oil cost so close to the same amount, everything’s disposable/consumable. Not that the Poulan isn’t also disposable, but what about the oil delivery system can possibly be harmed by motor oil? Can’t think of any issues there.
oh boy.jpeg :laugh:

And just for fun....

I used a lot of it in my younger days when I was barely scraping by. I would strain it through an old funnel that had a fine mesh screen in it. The only problem I had with it was the oil tank ran out before the fuel tank. That saw is 35 years old now and the oil pump still works fine. I didn't use it all the time, just when I had to and I am not advocating it's use. Your best bet is what Bill said and look for bar oil on sale.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

So how many tank fulls of bar oil do you get out of a gallon?
What saw are you putting these cheap bars on and how are you wearing the bar out before the saw if it is a cheapo Poulan?
Just curious, because just using saws for some firewood cutting, a gallon will last me quite a while. With so many other expenses, chains, oil mix, fuel, files, etc. Bar oil isn't very high on my list of "expenditures"

My 2 cents, I won't run it. Makes a bloody mess for one, doesn't do a lot to protect the bar imo. My old man runs umo nearly exclusively and goes through bars like most through socks. He doesn't cut much wood any more so it always amazes me that he's got a new bar on every other year. Save my 390xp which got its bar bent in a tree all my saws either have original bars or are on their second bars. Normal maintenance and decent oil is what I've accredited to long bar life. Now if your truly getting bars for $20 a pop and you don't mind the black mess all over your saw then I guess I can't see the harm in it.
Huskybill hit it on the head on both the oil account and leaks. Get decent oil in bulk when you can find it cheap, and fix any leaks. (Thanks for the lead on oil Bill!) You do have to realize some of the "leak" is simply oil draining out of the bar and off the case. Nothing you can do about that. But puddles under the saw are unacceptable. Something is amiss and needs fixed. I have noticed that if I crack the oil lid and let the pressure equalize before putting them up I have nearly no puddle under it during storage. Cleaning your saw off after use helps quite a bit ad well.

Here is a question though:
Say you get up Sunday morning and are loading up for a half day of cutting up your neighbor's tree that fell over, but find out your bar oil bottle is empty, and you forgot to buy more. Is there another product you could use in a pinch to get you through the day?
30 weight and some STP or lucas mixed in. Seems to work ok. I'm pretty heavy with the lucas or STP and it's only as a last resort. Normally I'll just run and get a couple gallons. Typically I'm getting more when I'm down to an open gallon and 2 full gallons left.

Say you get up Sunday morning and are loading up for a half day of cutting up your neighbor's tree that fell over, but find out your bar oil bottle is empty, and you forgot to buy more. Is there another product you could use in a pinch to get you through the day?
New 30wt motor oil or atf oil in a pinch. My tractors use 30wt oil. I learned to buy six gallons every so often I buy oil so I’m way ahead. Plus I give some to the boys. The husky 2100’s hold a qt of bar oil.

Just about anything. My first choice alternate would be new motor oil, as I keep several gallons on hand.

say... i got me a 'just emptied' jug of Stihl bar lube... and as luck might have it..... :cool: i also just changed out the oil in one of my diesel tractors... thinking i might maybe could possibly... have some free bar oil! ???.... or maybe some emergency stuff. ???:popcorn2:

1628517385924.png P1010007.JPGP1010008.JPG

Back