Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a professional logger, been hand cutting for 20+ years. I started running drain oil when the prices skyrocketed about 16 years ago. Use about 2-3 gallons per week. As long as you strain it, it works just fine. I've had the same bar on since it was new 3 months ago. I also clean out my oil tank every month or 2. Imo if you keep everything clean, using drain oil is a great cost savings

I'am absolutely fine Nate , you asked what OHSA . would indicate as a threshold for permissible mineral oil concentrations . I provided it . However used crankcase oil is another matter . The concentrations of hazardous chemicals & agents are four to five times that of clean unused mineral oil that your permissible limits indicate . There are as much as 140 potential poly aromatic hydro carbons within used motor oils . Even more if leaded gas is utilized within the doaner engines that your oil is collected from . I find it rediculas that people will expose themselves to such potential health hazards to save $7-$10 bucks for a gallon of proper bar oil , that is more effective within bar & chain protection & also provides better operator & environment protection . Its your choice brother !
Screw OHSA, just another nanny state overlord. Do you run around in a biohazard suit afraid the sky will fall on you?

Pretty sure thats what I just said. When you can go all day on a handful of batteries we won't have to worry about exhaust fumes. No one in their right mind would take cases of batteries with them.
They needed cases of batteries to trim the limbs away from the power lines... I watched them swap battery after battery after battery. they were carrying cases of batteries for work that one 5 gallon jug would have taken care of. as i said..no thanks. i have no desire to spend 100/battery, or more in some cases when i can carry 1 five gallon can.

did i misread? did you mean that....never mind, i think I got your message.. my apologies.

Back