Water Maple Problem Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejoeky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thank you all for helping me !! Here are some pictures of my Maple tree, where the top part of a few branches are splitting open and the wood is very soft.........what do I need to do about this ?
Also, another tree has some bark peeling back/off, here are some pictures of that.....what can I do about this or what is this ?

The pictures will follow this post as a reply ! lol

Joe P

I'm not sure what is going on on the trunk but the limbs look like old squirrel damage. When times are tough squirrels like to chew inner bark-particularly on Sugar Maples and Silver Maples due to their high sugar content.

I'm with rjs, sunscald not skwerl damage. It may sound like he is just defending his kin, but the length and condition of the branch wound looks like simple cracking from sudden exposure to the sun.

The trunk wound/bark shedding may be due to internal decay from the topping moving outward. What side of the trunk is it on--south? then suspect sunscaald as well. Time for a check on decay, sound wall thickess, and look at planting a replacement.:(

I had forgotten about the topping. You guys are probably the ones with the correct diagnosis. This CRS is the pits!:)

Originally posted by Stumper
This CRS is the pits!:)
CRS?
Cranial Reduction Syndrome?
Cracking Really Sucks?
Can't Remember S*&%?
Oh Yeah, must be that.

Latest posts

Back