Water Treatment/ hard water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
although somewhat un-related, I am looking for help considering a water softener that is not salt based. Assuming the only alternatives are electronic ionization types, does anyone have any experience with a non-salt based softener and what are the long term effects on a OWB radiant system.
thanks
Angelo

although somewhat un-related, I am looking for help considering a water softener that is not salt based. Assuming the only alternatives are electronic ionization types, does anyone have any experience with a non-salt based softener and what are the long term effects on a OWB radiant system.
thanks
Angelo

I wanted a non salt based water softener too. I heard about the electronic type on the internet. I did a little more research and it seems the electronic ones are a gimmick. I think there is another alternative to salt, it it potassium chloride. Don't quote me on that. Do some google fu, you will be able to find the info.

thanks
Angelo

Magnets...iv'e used them for 14 yrs now.

Went thru this a 2 years ago. The magnets do not really work...sorry... If you have very soft water, you probably do not need a softener, then the magnets will seem like they do a good job. You need salt to do the ion exchange to remove hardness. I oversized mine and it is night and day! Spend some money on a good one and you will be amazed! I bought a farm and fleet store one. It has a Fleck head just like culligan and a lot of the other name brands. In fact the same exact model! I paid about 650 and installed it myself. Culligan wanted 3k! Culligan just has Fleck make the parts slightly longer so that you have to go to them to buy stuff for 3 times the money! Fleck is made in brookfield WI if I remember right and I am 4 miles from them. That is the ONLY reason I even got this info. If you have iron use the iron out salt. It makes a difference as to cleaning the resin bed and maintaining it longer...

I wanted a non salt based water softener too. I heard about the electronic type on the internet. I did a little more research and it seems the electronic ones are a gimmick. I think there is another alternative to salt, it it potassium chloride. Don't quote me on that. Do some google fu, you will be able to find the info.
Here's some info on Pc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_chloride

Softened water from an ion-exchange water softener CONTAINS NO SALT and has no taste. The difference is the LACK of minerals that you were perceiving as "taste".

It does, however, contain sodium (if using salt) or potassium (if using potassium chloride) which, while having ZERO taste, can cause health issues issues for a small segment of the population.

The reason you think it feels "like crap" is because it's actually letting your soap do its job much easier.

Magnets cannot soften water as they cannot remove the hardness minerals (primarily calcium chloride) from the water. On the other hand, they make great placebos.

Used to sell water treatment for a large retailer.

Steve

Last edited:
Went thru this a 2 years ago. The magnets do not really work...sorry... If you have very soft water, you probably do not need a softener, then the magnets will seem like they do a good job. You need salt to do the ion exchange to remove hardness. I oversized mine and it is night and day! Spend some money on a good one and you will be amazed! I bought a farm and fleet store one. It has a Fleck head just like culligan and a lot of the other name brands. In fact the same exact model! I paid about 650 and installed it myself. Culligan wanted 3k! Culligan just has Fleck make the parts slightly longer so that you have to go to them to buy stuff for 3 times the money! Fleck is made in brookfield WI if I remember right and I am 4 miles from them. That is the ONLY reason I even got this info. If you have iron use the iron out salt. It makes a difference as to cleaning the resin bed and maintaining it longer...

To each his own, makes a differance what brand you use, some work most don't.The worse the minerals the more magnets it takes. I've got terrible hard water and at the time I installed these the water heater was all but plugged tight.8 months later finnaly had all the scale flushed out of it and is still working fine to this day.Also added full house filter and a heavy rust and sediment filter. So... no just adding any ole magnet doesn't allways do the trick.

I've had some magnets on the pipes for a while now to no visible difference. could be not enough mags or not strong enough. Got no idea how to measure, estimate or size up the needs. its about 5k sq ft. with 5 bd/ba.

What brand?

Had your water tested? Also, you can pipe non-softened water to outside and kitchen faucets, anywhere you want...all it takes is a checkbook and a pen!

Had your water tested? Also, you can pipe non-softened water to outside and kitchen faucets, anywhere you want...all it takes is a checkbook and a pen!

That what we did. No sense in softening water for outside use and I didn't want to use softened water for cooking or drinking. Cost us $100 to separate the water lines when we did this about 15 yrs. ago.

Shari

Did a lot of research on this a year or so ago when my Sears finally died.
Bottom line is i got a salt based softener with separate salt tank and separate resin tank.

The saltless tanks supposedly don't remove the minerals. They change or nuetralize the ions so the minerals don't stick to anything, but they are still there. And almost 3 times the price.

The other option was the green sand filter that uses the potassium chloride and it was just too complicated for me. I have just the softener and drink right from the tap. No other treatment. It also removes the iron, but i should and will get an iron filter at some point soon.

Back