We made a decision....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weloveburning

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well based on the old configuration of the dinosaur that we are replacing, we decided on the Englander Add on Wood Furnace.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/28-3500.html

283500sm.jpg

It will go nicely where the old one was. The issue that we ran into with the other ones, was the fact that it would be out in the middle of the room, by the time we hooked up the flue and we couldn't have that. This one is very close to the old dimensions and the flue comes out of the top, not the back of the unit. Its only 10 inches deeper, so that won't be bad.

But it took an act of god to get one of these things ordered. Only one of their dealers in our area was willing to go the extra mile to make sure we got what we wanted. And the price was definitely reasonable.

Here's the pictures of the "thing" that we are replacing. Please excuse the mess, as the son has the garage in a shambles with a motor rebuild:

100_0370.jpg

And in this picture, you can see the breaks in the welds in the firebox.

100_0372.jpg

Anyone have a guess on how old the Volcano is??? I had to replace the fan about two years ago. But never did find any information that dated it.

Also, we scored two Black Walnut trees that were taken down professionally. Our friend called us as soon as he saw them coming down and asked if we wanted them. We've been cutting, splitting and stacking for the past three weekends. We estimate that we will have enough wood for 5 years out of those two trees.

Last edited:
We estimate that we will have enough wood for 5 years out of those two trees.

5 years??? how big were the trees? they had to have been monsters.

you could probably sell the old unit and at least get some money for it.

5 years??? how big were the trees? they had to have been monsters.

you could probably sell the old unit and at least get some money for it.

They were monsters! Two guys could not touch fingertips around the trunks of these things!! The piles that the tree service left us were 20' deep and about 4' high of limbs. The main trunks are still standing, and they are about 15' high in the air. It was a major score for us. LOL

The old unit isn't worth selling. Its just too cracked up in the firebox. And really no way to fix it. More than likely it will go in for iron.

Dang did you say Black walnut? Sheesh what a drag! While a nice firewood score for you, the guys in the milling section (like myself) are in tears over the incredable furniture lumber that would have come out of those two "monsters". Very valuable wood that black walnut. I'd call it a sin if I was religeous. :dizzy:

Dang did you say Black walnut? Sheesh what a drag! While a nice firewood score for you, the guys in the milling section (like myself) are in tears over the incredable furniture lumber that would have come out of those two "monsters". Very valuable wood that black walnut. I'd call it a sin if I was religeous. :dizzy:

heh...maybe that's why they left the 15 foot sections.....

Any black walnut we cut goes in the firewood pile. No one wants to buy it around here, we sold some a few years back to a log yard and got less than white pine so it goess in the firewood pile now.
I too am looking at the Englander 28-3500. $1300. at the local Home Depot.

Any black walnut we cut goes in the firewood pile. No one wants to buy it around here, we sold some a few years back to a log yard and got less than white pine so it goess in the firewood pile now.
I too am looking at the Englander 28-3500. $1300. at the local Home Depot.

Our home depot's don't carry them this far south. Or we would have gone there to get it. Not a bad looking furnace. And the thermostat is a plus for us.

We are getting anxious to get it and get it installed. But it won't be here until October.

Any updates on the install?

Brian

Kyle,

The install went great. Its a wonderful furnace to say the least. I'm still getting the hang of keeping the temp regulated in the house. I knew that there would be a learning curve for that, as the furnace is rated to heat 3000sq ft and our house is 1900.

You can see pictures of the installed and running furnace here:http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=78091

hey steve i have a coffee table i built when i got out of the army back in late 60s or early 70s while friends and family was deciding what to do with me. i think i spent like 6months or a year on it all black walnut.if i move enuff **** i may get a pic of a leg or sumthin.no one in my immedaite family seems to care about it anyway.make me a reasonable offer and it yours.

Latest posts

Back