Webbing sling vs. Whoopie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to answer. The closer you have your block to the cut, the shorter the distance your work piece will fall and the less energy it will have before weighting the block, hence, reducing the distance means reducing the force on your rigging.

This is why I splice my own whoopies. If you can learn the skill (easy with a little practice) you can get tenex by-the-foot and make your own slings for only a few bucks a piece in a few minutes. I can splice and whip a whoopie in about 15-20 minutes. I have 2 or three of different sizes each in different diameter tenex so I have the flexibility to get a nice, tight, close fit to my cuts. If blocking a spar, after making a cut, it's pretty easy to loosen a whoopie and just slide it down the trunk and retighten it every couple feet. I recently did a 80' pine spar in tight quarters and only changed slings once. From about 10" up top to almost 30" at my lowest cut. The adjustability of a whoopie makes up for the time in the end of having to swap slings for every cut.

1+ And also be aware of larger saw muffler placement in relationship to said sling or you will replace it after 1 use (when you melt it)

OK, looks like I've spend some money on wrong stuff. (again.....:bang:)
So webbing slings are not the preferred choice? But rigging/crane slings should be OK to use?
I have recently bought this one ( below) is that what you refer to as a rigging sling?
View attachment 242408
attachment.php

Thanks.

no you do not want any kind of flat sling to anchor a pulley or block in a tree(in most cases). you want round rope, either one of the ajustable setups or a chunk of rope with one spliced eye like this Eye Slings for Blocks : One Eye Slings : Slings : Rigging : Professional Gear : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

no you do not want any kind of flat sling to anchor a pulley or block in a tree(in most cases). you want round rope, either one of the ajustable setups or a chunk of rope with one spliced eye like this Eye Slings for Blocks : One Eye Slings : Slings : Rigging : Professional Gear : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

I've got to disagree with you there nttb. Flat webbing style slings are inappropriate for the reasons i specified in my last post, but this type of round sling is suitable for the task. They are very wear resistant, rated and load tested, come in different lengths and strengths and only cost a few dollars. Lots of tree guys use them in aus.

Regarding the distance between the pulley and the piece being lowered off when negative rigging, the distance does have an effect, but it isn't really huge. Having a little more distance can be a good thing, if you've got a bad groundie. You don't want a short hung log swinging back on you. Stretch in the rope, and how the rope is let run both affect the shock load when negative rigging more than the distance between the piece and the pulley.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr668.pdf

This is the most comprehensive thing I've ever read on rigging... It's worth a read but the math was way over my head. The recommendations weren't though. The data on loads at the block when negative rigging was surprising. The detailed analysis and worksheets on assessing the load bearing capacity of different limbs was useful.

Shaun

I've got to disagree with you there nttb. Flat webbing style slings are inappropriate for the reasons i specified in my last post, but this type of round sling is suitable for the task. They are very wear resistant, rated and load tested, come in different lengths and strengths and only cost a few dollars. Lots of tree guys use them in aus.

Shaun

ok if you do not want to buy 10 different lengths of straps you want a rope w/eye and just retie your knot each time or use a whoopie/loopie

Why? Well as MDS would would say " dude is ghey"

That set up was BS. Loose as a goose. What's with the ladder in the way? There was to much space between the block and the cut.

The ladder is for "chunky butt" syndrome, when it is hard to get up the tree by other means ;)

ok if you do not want to buy 10 different lengths of straps you want a rope w/eye and just retie your knot each time or use a whoopie/loopie

Talk about a negative nancy :p

I have 2 lengths of straps, a 1m and a 2m. Most of the time I use the 1m, for setting blocks in crotches. I don't rig down spars that often, but for the few times that I do, some combination of the 2 straps works. Two straps gives you 6 possible lengths. I'll admit the whoopie is better in terms of adjustability... I've also got a whoopie. I mostly use the slings for setting pulleys though. For rigging the porty I use a long piece of 3/4" double esterlon timber hitched. I don't do many trees bigger than about 6' DBH.

Shaun

Ignore my ignorance

What do you guys find Loopies usefull for? I like Whoopie's and use them on a daily basis, but i have never thought to myself, " man wish i had a Loopie Sling". Plain and simple just dont know the situations where one would be more usefull.

What do you guys find Loopies usefull for? I like Whoopie's and use them on a daily basis, but i have never thought to myself, " man wish i had a Loopie Sling". Plain and simple just dont know the situations where one would be more usefull.

I use a whoopie for the porty and loopies for blocks and pulleys. I also have several tenax loop and I2I slings and a ton of loop web slings. When ya have a slew of this stuff, you have many options avail when rigging. This stuff is not that much money, so when I make a trip to vermeer, I always pick up a couple more. Always expanding my kit.

Last edited:
Nice. I see what you guys are talking about, just opened the wesspur catalog and had a looksee. I will be trying one out. Options options options. Gotta love it.

Oh, one more thing. When I splice a loopie/whoopie, I coat the eye and the first few inches of the bury in clear polyurethane sealant. This makes them much more durable and keeps them form getting fuzzy.

Oh, one more thing. When I splice a loopie/whoopie, I coat the eye and the first few inches of the bury in clear polyurethane sealant. This makes them much more durable and keeps them form getting fuzzy.

Thanks Boot.
I would like to have a go at making my own loopie/whoopies also. Sounds like a good idea. And fun. Do you know any good instructions or video clips that you can share?
Problem for me is to get the material for the whoopies. No such stuff where I live. So I guess I have to order it from the US..... :biggrin:

I use tenex tec. It's a hollow braid 12 strand and is incredibly strong and relatively cheap. For the eye I use a Brummell splice, there are you tube videos if you search. For the pass through you need to have it buried for at least 20 rope diameters i.e 1/2 x 20 = 10 inches of bury.

Brummel splice vid http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDW8OwL0Oc

Nope. It's already coated in polyurethane (samthane). I just add more. I buy mine in the form of urethane calk/sealant. Polyester is highly resistant to most organic solvents used in these types of applications.

Just did my first, very own, whoopie sling! I used Brummel splice for the eye. Turned out allright if I may say so myself. :)
Gonna try it out tommorow. Keep you fingers crossed that it will work and hold the load!

Latest posts

Back