Wedges!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the wedge from the first tree so we "wedged" it between two rounds and I cut from the bark side in "half" ie if it was originally a 45 degree piece of pie we now have two 22.5 degree pieces. then I went to the widest parts and ripped it down to several wedges about 4-6" wide. If that makes sense...

I am sure it would have worked had I been able to access a tougher species of tree. We ended up needing to rope and pull over the second tree by hand but it only took about 6" of pull as the wedging almost put the weight where it needed to be.

I still need to pick up several plastic wedges. Haven't seen any sales yet though.

I have not tried this, but assuming that 'noodling' is the way to go, in order to get the long grain.
Maybe noodle a round in half; lay it flat on the cut face; then noodle out the wedges? Split them along the grain afterwards if too wide?

Philbert

We tried that when I dealt with those big willows recently, but they just turned to mush once you put the sledge to them.

I am processing a big red elm next month, may try to get some slabs out of there.

Yep, willow is good firewood if you don't mind feeding the fire often but it is soft and not good for much of anything else.

oops, forgot, people used to use it to make charcoal and it is still a preferred wood out here for smoking meat and barbecue

I heated my house with willow for over 30 years but only because there was nothing better at the same or less cost per btu.

Harry K

I have not tried this, but assuming that 'noodling' is the way to go, in order to get the long grain. Maybe noodle a round in half; lay it flat on the cut face; then noodle out the wedges? Split them along the grain afterwards if too wide?

Philbert
That's how I would do it. I have some small pin oak rounds lying around that would be good candidates Use about a 10" length. I would work my way from right to left on the half rounds. The widest wedges would then be in the center. Shoot for that 7-degree angle. I have a feeling you will be using a sharp chain. ;)

One last suggestion. You might want to fasten the left side secure to a stump or something like that to hold it steady while you noodle cut wedges from the right side. I imagine you were going to do that anyway. Otherwise that small half-moon will want to fly.

Yep, willow is good firewood if you don't mind feeding the fire often but it is soft and not good for much of anything else.

oops, forgot, people used to use it to make charcoal and it is still a preferred wood out here for smoking meat and barbecue

I heated my house with willow for over 30 years but only because there was nothing better at the same or less cost per btu.

Harry K
Willow here smells like urine even when burned dry. I cannot imagine smoking with it.

I had access to two cords of it ten minutes from my house and I told the guy to give it away.

Willow here smells like urine even when burned dry. I cannot imagine smoking with it. I had access to two cords of it ten minutes from my house and I told the guy to give it away.
The local tree folks here have tried crossing willow with other species to get rid of the thick bark and have had some success doing it. Some say they are trying small-leaf linden (basswood). Most of that burning stench may be from the bark. Once again, I wait until almost dry before splitting and the bark falls free. Seems like that helps. When crossed with linden (assuming that's what it is) the bark is less than half as thick and there seems to be little loss in heat content.

Willow here smells like urine even when burned dry. I cannot imagine smoking with it.

I had access to two cords of it ten minutes from my house and I told the guy to give it away.

There is willow and then there's willow. Many different species. I think the one out here is Black Willow. I did cut one that stunk when I cut it but didn't after it dried.

Harry K

There is willow and then there's willow. Many different species. I think the one out here is Black Willow. I did cut one that stunk when I cut it but didn't after it dried.

Harry K
True, many species.

I've processed curly willow (ornamental yard tree) and regular willow which basically get as big and unruly as cottonwoods in not very much time. I cut a 42" tree that was only 20 years old.

Latest posts

Back