weeping cherry tree info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn5335

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I love the look of the weeping cherry trees, and was wondering a few things..The ones in the nursery I looked at said that they get up to 30' high...but everywhere I see them they are in small plantings, like ornamental, near a house..are there different kinds? I also searched this site for info first, and one poster said that the weeping cherry tree is only expected to last a few years in a northern climate...one weeping cherry tree I saw said "northern hardy". Are there different ones for different climates?

Hardy means that it will not frost out in cold springs, has nothing to do with the pest problems that many Prunus get up here.

I always warn people to expect 7-12 years from these plants. If you get one, then use the organic emultions I am always carping on (Ha! Get it carping, fish guts! ha!) fish guts or seaweed juice. It is the minor and trace elements that can be non availible in the soil that causes the tree to me more prone to fungal, bactiral and borer probelms.

yes Lynn there are alot of different kinds of weeping cherries. some may only get 10 to 15 feet while others will get 30 ft. I think you can expect to get 35 to 45 years out of a weeping cherry which is short in the whole aspect of tree longevity since some live hundreds of years , but they are beautiful trees and i would suggest planting one . Check out a knowledgable garden center in your area and see what cultivars they have .

Thanks for the advice, I'd like to get one but it makes a difference how big it gets as to where it will go. I've seen them in plantings at other houses only a few feet from the house...so when I saw one that said it got 30' high, it didn't make sense.

Study the cultivar you are getting and only use a reputable vendor.

JPM, it realy depends on where she lives. We just don't see them up here. Sand , Amur, plums...anything but black cherry is verry short lived.

A true weeping cherry is grafted at 6-8 feet high and the branches hang down,it will never grow any higher than the graft.Some of the upright growing types have a "weeping" habit but are not a true weeper,they can grow 30' high,unfortunately I have seen nurseries sell these as weepers much to the disapointment of the customer who expects a 6 ft high specimen tree and ends up with a 30 foot monster in their yard.

Back