Weeping Cherry Tree ooze

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news. It would be interesting to see the trunk flare after the mulch and soil and circling roots are removed. When will that be done?

Super nice and informative Arborist helped me out yesterday.

Yes, the tree is too deep. But not so deep that we can't dig some soil & mulch away to help.

He diagnosed borers. His advice is to enlarge the mulch ring, remove soil & mulch from base of tree and spray the trunk in March or April with an insecticidal product and then again around a month later. He felt we caught it soon enough that we should be able to successfully save the tree.

Was he able to identify the species of borer? Did you find any other signs of bore activity such as boring frass (sawdust), or an entrance hole. How did he identify this other than the gummosis?

Good news. It would be interesting to see the trunk flare after the mulch and soil and circling roots are removed. When will that be done?

Was he able to identify the species of borer? Did you find any other signs of bore activity such as boring frass (sawdust), or an entrance hole. How did he identify this other than the gummosis?

I am hoping you can be talked into posting more pictures as I would also like to see the trunk flare and borer holes. This is to extend my knowledge only as I learn so much from these scenarios.

I am glad you were able to get someone out quickly who also proved to be helpful.

Sylvia

Sorry it took so long to reply. I took a picture of the base today. I spent a lot of time this past weekend babying this tree and very very gently removing soil until I got to the larger roots. I'm estimating it was somewhere around 2-3inches too deep.

The Arborist diagnosed borers based on entrance holes. I mentioned frass to him and he said earlier we probably would have seen some but now the bugs are dormant and not actively boring. Anyway, in almost every instance the ooze is starting at a single point. I couldn't get good pictures since the sap is hardened and I don't want to damage or stress the tree anymore.

TreeBase11-05-08.jpg

Latest posts

Back