Weird oiler problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mange

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a weird problem on a saw i traded out. It is a Jonny 490, one of the best saws I traded out, regret it every time he comes here................

Back to topic.
I put in a new oiler new wheel to drive the oiler, air vent is clean, tank is washed clean as can be, I can not find anything wrong.
So I put in yet another new oiler, same thing....... :angry:
Cleaned everything again, and after 6 cups of coffee, 2 beers, dinner, two more beers, still won't oil. And now I am out of beer!!!!!

I can fix the beer issue, but if you could give me a clue on the oiler, you could save this world from a very bad thing....
Angry Mange!

Here's a IPL. The only thing you haven't mentioned is the pump piston. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the piston drive is plastic on a metal piston shaft. Check to see if the plastic has separated metal, or eccentric groove in the plastic has worn straight, or the eccentric pin has fallen out or is bent away from the plastic drive.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
The first brand new oiler I put in I did not check before, but I did after. I can not see anything wrong.
The second brand new I installed is ok, I checked that one before I put it in.
I checked the plastic, rod, weel, everything, That is in the bag. I do not get it. It turns fine after installed, but no oil.

Scott, Grande.
Thease are both new oilers, strait from the shelf, never opened before.
One can be wrong, but two?!

Thanks for the Ipl, Grande.

I do not get it :angry:

Perhaps it is not the oiler itself. maybe theres something blocking the oil passage after the pump, which is keeping oil from getting to the bar.

It is all new, it comes in a kit.
I will put it together now, for the 3 time, with new parts.
I have no more new oiler kits, after this. :angry:

Mange,
I'm thinking along the same lines as Oldsaw Addict... maybe its not the pump itself. With the pump removed, can you squirt WD-40 or other fluid, or blow air and see the passage is clear back to the tank? Are the mating surfaces aligning properly so the pump pickup is mating good with the passage hole? Maybe try priming the passages ans pump with oil prior to putting the pump on.

Good luck,
Dan

Don't forget to buy enough beer before you try!
I will do so today, as I am trying to fix a PITA :angry2: one year old Stihl 250C :angry: and an old 024 :) (made in West Germany) for a friend.

Sorry, but I can't help you - I though about the same as OSA posted, but he was faster than me.

Prime the oiler with machine oil and replace the suction hose. I bet this will fix your proble. I had the same problem with an 020T once.

With the plunger inserted into the pump and the top spring loaded, when you rotate the plunger by hand, does it also move up and down *freely. It's the up motion, by the cam, and the down motion, provided from a loaded spring, that provides the pumping. Valving is provided by the cutout on the side of the rotating plunger shaft, but the pump volume or pump "workspace" (where the pressure is generated) is underneath the shaft. When the plunger is lifted up, by the cam, it (a) loads the spring and (b) creates a vacuum underneath the plunger which sucks in oil when the flatside valve opens to the inlet port. When the plunger goes off cam, the spring pushes it down, thereby squeezing out the oil, just as the flatside valve opens to the outlet port.

If the plunger is rotating ok but binding up and down, or if the spring (it will try to rotate with the plunger) is binding (as by a rusted ball bearing), the plunger will just "float" on the oil charge and never get itself going.

Thanks for all input.

lesorubcheek, Dirt Troll, OSA.

All parts exept the oil housing is replaced with new, 2 new kits as a matter of fact. The hole saw was clean inside and out before I put the new oiler/oil in the first and second time.

It works now.
I have a theory of what was wrong to!

The plate that press the soft parts tight on to the oiler, was slightly bent, i could not see at first, but I put it on a metal table and it was about 1,5-2 mm higher in center. Not enough pressour on the soft rubber parts 8 check the IPL Grande posted, you will see. I did not think of this untill I saw the IPL.

I replaced it and it works.
It does not give much oil, but enough, I Think.

Mystery solved (I hope).

Latest posts

Back