Weird or Unusual things in/on saws/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah,
The elusive early edition 051AV"CC" (Cookie Cutter) .

Milling saw chip ejector Mod?
I will guess that the nut came loose the all the clutch goodies started a grinding session.
All while cutting a big stump.
Been there, done that.

Just didn't do it so many times that it drilled a hole in the cover.
Probably didnt realize it until the saw died because the oiler gear spun outward creating a massive air leak, and the saw died.
I've never seen an exhaust exit like that one. I've worked on some pre-1974 ones too.
Nice saw.
Just duct tape a vacuum hose to it. Lol

actually, it's an 050AV. I got it this way . I suspect the clutch drum came loose like you said and drilled a nice hole in the cover. Good runner though.

Manufactured 1968-73 as per acres internets' site. I didn't know they made them that long.
The one pictured on his site has the same muffler outlet as yours.
I have a complete 051av in a tote that's waiting on me to rebuild. (4years now)- lol

Nothing rediculous to post at the moment, but I got 2 saws in for repair today that had me shaking my head.

First was a little Poulan. Customer said it didnt cut for **** and kept throwing the chain. Chain was on backwards.

Second was a craftsman. Customer said it ran but died when he gave it gas, and the chain wouldnt move. The internet told him the clutch was broken. Chain brake was on.

You should see some of the rediculous **** farmers bring me to fix. Everything is held together with bailing twine. Welds are done with a torch and wire coat hangers as filler rod. Stripped out bolt holes are fixed with lag bolts. Good stuff.

Nothing rediculous to post at the moment, but I got 2 saws in for repair today that had me shaking my head.

First was a little Poulan. Customer said it didnt cut for **** and kept throwing the chain. Chain was on backwards.

Second was a craftsman. Customer said it ran but died when he gave it gas, and the chain wouldnt move. The internet told him the clutch was broken. Chain brake was on.

You should see some of the rediculous **** farmers bring me to fix. Everything is held together with bailing twine. Welds are done with a torch and wire coat hangers as filler rod. Stripped out bolt holes are fixed with lag bolts. Good stuff.
Good old baling wire...........
Duct tape Is todays baling wire.
I sold an 028 Stihl to a guy once that called me about two months later saying he'd cut about 30 trees up with no issues, but now the chain was locked up. I had given him a quick safety demo verbaly, but evidently he was ADS when I showed him the chainbrake function. I paused, and thought of the myriad of things it could be, and then, like asking a kid with chocolate on his face who had eaten all the cake, I asked him if the brake had been tripped. He shyly answered, how do I release it?
....... I imagined someone in India In a call center In a cubical trying to help some dufuss on the other side of the planet, when all that it wrong is the power cord came unplugged. Doi !

Good old baling wire...........
Duct tape Is todays baling wire.
I sold an 028 Stihl to a guy once that called me about two months later saying he'd cut about 30 trees up with no issues, but now the chain was locked up. I had given him a quick safety demo verbaly, but evidently he was ADS when I showed him the chainbrake function. I paused, and thought of the myriad of things it could be, and then, like asking a kid with chocolate on his face who had eaten all the cake, I asked him if the brake had been tripped. He shyly answered, how do I release it?
....... I imagined someone in India In a call center In a cubical trying to help some dufuss on the other side of the planet, when all that it wrong is the power cord came unplugged. Doi !

I feel your pain brother! I can't fix stupid, but I can charge it for wasting my time haha.

The piston on the bottom has a indention in it that I guess was made from a piston stop. I can see cracks on the underside. This saw had a worn ring. This indention is very unusual. It's hard to be believe that a piston stop did this. This is from husqvarna 50 chainsaw and I'm going to use an early 350 piston.
227257a52bb3cbe3165f956af5641e75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the cylinder was not damaged.
The piston got damaged by some of the catalytic converter material that got back inside the exhaust port. It's on a Hilti DSH900.
I don't know what the cataylist material is, but it looks like a copper wire birds nest inside the muffler. I've never seen a converter plug up on a two stroke.
When Stihl first installed them on trimmers, they didn't advertise it for fear that every woe would be blamed on them malfunctioming.

It isn't on a saw but it is still wierd. It took me less than 5 minutes to replace with a new part. Why not go ahead and do it? Well, the previous owner hadn't cleaned the prefilter either. It was pretty dirty.

Attachments

• Shin EB802RT (1).JPG
    Shin EB802RT (1).JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Shin EB802RT (2).JPG
    Shin EB802RT (2).JPG
    828.6 KB · Views: 71
Here is a bump. Check out this Stihl 044 piston. Looks like it was run like this for quite some time. No damage at all to cylinder. Aluminum piece must have been missing at time of assembly. It looks like maybe it was only held by a super tiny piece and then if broke off. This is really odd.
b938c7edb9a1b8ea8b9da50b2d431a90.jpg
2241cb59568268363d8e9f5dd48d83e9.jpg
41fd96461cafb93efec7a7efa6cfdf88.jpg
122d053225931fc72d02cca86626b591.jpg
d7354c69eb66e52271cb26898e6f3bc8.jpg
70d01e033d1e5b94d0725886e88ad207.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back