Welding propane tanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most 100lb tanks I've seen use 1/8" steel. With proper gusseting you'd probably be ok. I used a 100lb propane tank to create a "sucker" tank for waste vegetable oil. I use a vacuum pump to pull about 25" of vacuum on the tank which requires pretty stout construction. 15-16" of vacuum will easily collapse a steel 55 gallon drum.

Last edited:
well first off are you trained in welding explosive containers? people are certified in this stuff so i would take it to and expert first and have it done rite and live to tell the tale but there are some variables missing like technique, current, what process is being used and other stuff would help. or you can ask the guys at hobartwelding.com they know more about welding in general that its almost sickening.

it's not an explosive container if the right precautions are taken. . .:popcorn:

well first off are you trained in welding explosive containers? people are certified in this stuff so i would take it to and expert first and have it done rite and live to tell the tale but there are some variables missing like technique, current, what process is being used and other stuff would help. or you can ask the guys at hobartwelding.com they know more about welding in general that its almost sickening.

Certified? heck no.
Crazy? heck ya!

Mercaptan takes a long time to disappear. The propane will be gone quite quickly. I believe that flushing a tank with a air hose for a few minutes would eliminate the possibility of explosions.

Keep in mind, filling any tank with water just condenses any left over vapor into a smaller area. As a kid i've seen this happen, after the dust settled, the investigation began ! Lucky, only injuries were missing eye brows, facial hair.

If you must weld on the tank take the valve off and put a couple pounds of dry ice in the tank. We do that at work when we have to move off road fuel storage tanks over the road. We also check the tank with an oxygen meter before moving or working on the tank. Because the CO2 is heavier than air the CO2 displaces fumes from the bottom up.

hehe thanks ! I`m a tool and die welder , with a fire wood habbit

I think we've found our new official AS muffler mod guy since Lakeside53 (Andy) has retired from posting.

How are ya at welding sheet metal? :hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

Haywire... Just have them break two pieces of 3/16" or 1/4" plate in the shape and volume you require for your tank/axle.

Or buy ship and car channel and weld it together, and cap the ends. Make a pressure tester using a Schrader valve, and check for leaks with soap and a squirt bottle.

So.... have a good gander at the Lakeside muffler mod thread in the chainsaw forum and let us know how much you're charging...

Ian

Since we're on the topic of propane tanks........

I've got two old hundred pounders I'd like to cut the bottoms off and weld together. Anyone have a good idea how I can cut them straight enough to easily weld them together??

I'm looking to put a bearing on either end and a drawbar. A plug to fill with water to tow behind my tractor as a lawn roller.

I've got two old hundred pounders I'd like to cut the bottoms off and weld together. Anyone have a good idea how I can cut them straight enough to easily weld them together??

I'm looking to put a bearing on either end and a drawbar. A plug to fill with water to tow behind my tractor as a lawn roller.

Use tape (Duct perhaps?;)) to mark your cut lines... Make sure the tanks are open and purged, and use a cutoff wheel in a grinder... Works sweet.

So.... have a good gander at the Lakeside muffler mod thread in the chainsaw forum and let us know how much you're charging...

Ian

tell ya what .I have no idea how much time would be involved so I couldnt price it . I will though do one for free to see how much time is involved if you guy`s feel there is a need .sound fair ? Mark

Up close and personal

I've cut and welded many propane cylinders for all kinds of uses, bbq's, smokers,pontoons what ever.No problems, just smelly. Gasoline tanks are a different rascal. Purge them with exhaust for half hour or so. Never fill with water as someone said. That's a bomb in the making and you can get hurt. That stuff can lie in seams for a long time. Fill it with water and it can form in small pockets mixed with air and bomb. I saw my old man (god rest his soul)do that s--t and after the bomb we laughed about it. Lucky all he got was wet and ears ringing. Just happened to be standing in the right spot.

tell ya what .I have no idea how much time would be involved so I couldn't price it . I will though do one for free to see how much time is involved if you guy`s feel there is a need .sound fair ? Mark

Sounds like someone that needs their muffler modded needs to step forward and put his muffler in the mail. Mine are already done...

Back to the subject at hand... I went to the welding shop here locally and priced some 10" square tube 1/4" thick and it was real pricey to the tune of $60 per foot... OUCH. He's going to call their supplier and see if they can get some drops cheap. They wanted $125-$130 to fold and weld up some 1/4 plate into a tank/axle. That included 2 internal baffles and welding the fittings in. Better, but still runs the price of the splitter up. I might go back to that later as things come together.

Ian

Latest posts

Back