Well... did some sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew W.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Let me just start off by saying I am by no means the best at sharpening, however I am getting better ;) check it out, the top half is before and the bottom half is after.IMG_20170103_084744_435.jpg

This is my Demonstration of file depth under the top of the cutter. It allows for a better bite and a less immediate deflection out of the kerf which will also make for better chip size, as opposed to having those real narrow but kind of long chips that is not as efficient, this is just my experience.
Tell me what you all think?

"Update" my concern with this cutter was it's ability to keep an edge, I just became a cookie monster on this poor little round of pin oak from across the way. Its not too impressive at all... kinda bummed :/

I'm no pro when when it comes to sharpening but that looks pretty darn sharp to me.
Thank you. cuts great it's a little aggressive in the height of the rakers but that's okay it's not a chatter fest to run.

I'd keep an eye on longevity, that much hook might make for a sharp chain but it might not last as long between sharpening. If that works for you then continue on.
I've been cutting a lot of softwood lately, the hardest wood I've been into is dead ash :)

Let me just start off by saying I am by no means the best at sharpening, however I am getting better ;) check it out, the top half is before and the bottom half is after.View attachment 547957

This is my Demonstration of file depth under the top of the cutter. It allows for a better bite and a less immediate deflection out of the kerf which will also make for better chip size, as opposed to having those real narrow but kind of long chips that is not as efficient, this is just my experience.
Tell me what you all think?
Looks really nice, Andrew W. With the help of AS vets I recently rescued a rocked 20" chain. I cut back to good with a dremel 5mm cylindrical bit and then a guide-mounted file. Then adjusted the rakers and gave it one final file. I've now found myself inspired enough to try my hand at hand filing without the guide...and I getting really into it...and starting to get some mean results!

Well
Looks really nice, Andrew W. With the help of AS vets I recently rescued a rocked 20" chain. I cut back to good with a dremel 5mm cylindrical bit and then a guide-mounted file. Then adjusted the rakers and gave it one final file. I've now found myself inspired enough to try my hand at hand filing without the guide...and I getting really into it...and starting to get some mean results!
I have guides they work great. but I do not always have them on site so gotta learn how.

Good luck in your trials post your results, have a good day. :)

I agree. Material looks too thinned out. Heat and debris might dull it extra fast, maybe even break the tooth.
I was worried about that too, but it does quite well in softwood, and I have yet to tear into a good dead oak log or round, so I will test and see :)
And btw the top pic is also my edge just testing angles.

I'm interested in hearing how well this works with hard wood. I assume this is with a grinder? What angles are you setting the machine to gets that knife like cutting edge?

I was worried about that too, but it does quite well in softwood, and I have yet to tear into a good dead oak log or round, so I will test and see :)
And btw the top pic is also my edge just testing angles.

I'd keep an eye on longevity, that much hook might make for a sharp chain but it might not last as long between sharpening. If that works for you then continue on.
Just tested it in a dried piece of pin oak, was not too impressed :/ you were correct sir

I'm interested in hearing how well this works with hard wood. I assume this is with a grinder? What angles are you setting the machine to gets that knife like cutting edge?
It's actually just a file, and tho it worked good on young maple, pine, and some dead stuff, it really doesn't shine in the hardwood.
I just cut a bunch of dried pin oak 12 or 15 times, not too great sorry to say, I do believe I am going to keep the same angle however just come up a just a tad from the bottom of the cutter. And we will see what happens

Latest posts

Back