Well got the Stihl ms361 back yesterday not happy at all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hee, hee, prolly all you need is a drill bit to fux it and stihl has been selling all those 460 parts.

:clap:

Thats a great idea. I'd like to know myself what your 30 year repairman did to fix the oiler problem on that saw. Though I've sold tons of 361's, own two myself, and never once had a complaint about lack of oil I may one day run into the same problem. I'd like to know exactly what your man did that the Stihl dealer couldn't or missed.

Being alittle handy with a Stihl saw myself and knowing there is only a filter or strainer as some call it in the oil tank-part # 11176403800, a feed hose to the pump-part #11226479400, a oil pump-part #11356403200, a oil pump drive-part #11286407112, a seal ring-part #1122649500, and a tank vent or valve as Stihl calls it-part #11286409100 So in all there are only 6 parts that make up the entire oil system on that saw. So when you talk to your man ask him if he replaced any parts of the oil system and which one of the 6 did he replace or fix.

Hey Champ, what happens if the clutch drum doesn't engage the pump drive spring correctly? Could this cause the problem or will the spring automatically catch in the drum as it revolves? Or maybe it got bent out of the way so it didn't engage at all?

Last edited:
What a sad story - We went through something similar with a new Chevy van gas gauge, under warrenty, but for 3 months, the dealer had the van more than we did. Finally out of absolute disgust, we went to another dealer, their mechanic fixed it in an hour. Bad ground connection - By then, the warrenty was expired, but GM did finally pay us back. Guess which dealer we bought our next car from?

What a sad story - We went through something similar with a new Chevy van gas gauge, under warrenty, but for 3 months, the dealer had the van more than we did. Finally out of absolute disgust, we went to another dealer, their mechanic fixed it in an hour. Bad ground connection - By then, the warrenty was expired, but GM did finally pay us back. Guess which dealer we bought our next car from?

Yeah - unfortunately Chevy's policy of not paying for diagnostic time resulted in Techs replacing parts rather than diagnosing the problem. I always spent the extra time to find the root cause the first time. Often it was a factory or design defect that I could repair and capitalize on as more of these came in.

If you have to make a warranty claim and actually get something fixed without having to spend time and money on the problem probably a good idea to buy a lottery ticket just to see.
in my experience. ("water damage" w't'f??)
In western australia i feel for anything mechanical it's best to fix yourself, I've paid what seemed like genuine honest professionals hundreds of dollars to do half azzed fixes that fall apart looking at them too hard.
My current consumer stance is buy recognised brands, at cheapest price, and forget post sale support.

On a nicer note i just bought a $2000 dollar computer (with 24" benq monitor full HD, but that's a different story) and when it arrived there were 2 parts missing from boxes. I wrote back saying i was happy with parts recieved but not so happy with parts missing and to my complete suprise they admitted fault and sent the items the following day (Hightech ATI 4870 card, but thats a different story too...)

So net order sometimes not so bad.

I hope stihl reads this thread and drops chitty arse dealer, i would seriously consider name and shame here, if that's allowed

One good thing about net shops is that with blogging and forums and all that their f-ups will quickly be documented. I've never once bought anything off a net store until i 've read a few good reports about their sales service and reliablility.

ps what's up with the word ****? in australia u can say **** on radio, tv, weather reports etc and no censoring...

Last edited:
Hey Champ, what happens if the clutch drum doesn't engage the pump drive spring correctly? Could this cause the problem or will the spring automatically catch in the drum as it revolves? Or maybe it got bent out of the way so it didn't engage at all?

I've never seen one do that on new saw. I've seen old saws where the tip of the oil worm, or drive, is worn off and the spocket will no longer catch it. The saw in question is brand new so its not likely that was the problem. Anything is possible though.

Reading this entire thread its clear to me something doesn't add up. When a person has issues with a saw and goes back and forth with the dealer and cannot get it resolved thats one thing. Getting upset about it and getting on here posting about it makes sense as well, don't blame him at all. What doesn't make sense is not finding out what was wrong with the saw after it was fixed. 999 people out of a 1000 would have taken 10 seconds to ask well what was wrong with it, how did ya fix it, especailly after all the greif about the dealer, the company and the saw. I mean lets face it, a person can spend alot of time writing and complaining about the saw, the maker of the saw and the dealer but he couldn't take 10 seconds to ask the man that finally fixed it what was wrong with it, that makes me wonder whats going on here. I've fixed thousands of saws and I don't recall one time when the owner didn't ask me what was wrong with it. I'm very curious as to what exactly the man did to fix the saw.

I have always ask what was wrong with something i had in the shop. I want to know if it could have been avoided on my part. Also kinda nosey i guess, But i would think anybody would be curious as to what was wrong with it and what did they do to fix it. Not that i could fix it next time just want to know.

I have always ask what was wrong with something i had in the shop. I want to know if it could have been avoided on my part. Also kinda nosey i guess, But i would think anybody would be curious as to what was wrong with it and what did they do to fix it. Not that i could fix it next time just want to know.

Same with me. Hell the same with just about everybody. When you have problems with a saw or the people working on it and someone finally resolves the problem the first question should be what was wrong with it, how come those other boneheads couldn't fix it, what did you do to make it right. This is plain ole common nature and sense talking.

Yeah I would like to know what he did to fix-it. Just wondering because I have a 361. Man the first ? I would have ask is WTF was wrong this thing and the second thing I would have done is go straight to my Stihl dealer and told him what he had missed . Not that I'm busting on you but after all the BS you had ,I sure the hell would have let some one know, but that's just me. Good luck and glad it's working know. RAY:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

When my dad had problems with a car, he'd go one step further. If the mechanic replaced something, he wanted the broken part back when he picked the car up.

Ian

I wanted to get you guy’s a picture of the problem

But it seems there is no patients in the world today, so here you go with out a picture.
Jim the 30+ year small engine repair man in his 60 now said there was only 1 problem causing the issue but in his opinion other menacing issues.
The strainer, sieve he called it,, was clogged on the inside with a piece of plastic.

And in his words the GD tubing is too short to pull out of the tank so he cut the tube inserted a small adapter added a short piece of tubing and a new sieve and said it should suck just fine now but this is one of those cases where import was a good thing and Stihl is not as good as they used to be

I Quote him

"What used to be a fine machine is now just another chainsaw."

Last edited:
But it seems there is no patients in the world today, so here you go with out a picture.
Jim the 30+ year small engine repair man in his 60 now said there was only 1 problem causing the issue but in his opinion other menacing issues.
The strainer, sieve he called it,, was clogged on the inside with a piece of plastic.

And in his words the GD tubing is too short to pull out of the tank so he cut the tube inserted a small adapter added a short piece of tubing and a new sieve and said it should suck just fine now but this is one of those cases where import was a good thing and Stihl is not as good as they used to be

What used to be a fine machine is just another chainsaw.

Well kizz my azz,LOL. BTW, the proper way to get that hose and strainer out is to remove oil pump and pull out the hose and strainer from the clutch side of the case, no need to cut or add anything, tell pop I said so. Sounds like the dealer opened up a bottle of bar oil and some of the plastic tab was poured in the oil tank with the oil on the first fill up. The strainer did its job. Long story short the saw was fine, human error all along. Glad ya gotter striaghtened out.

I guess there is no need to remover the oil pump now

Dam,,,
took a tumble last week, landed on the right side and the arm still don’t work right the remover proves it..

Last edited:
When my dad had problems with a car, he'd go one step further. If the mechanic replaced something, he wanted the broken part back when he picked the car up.

Ian

Careful - I knew mechanics who kept a stash of worn parts for just such occasions. That's one of the reasons I got out of it - tired of seeing people ripped off.

Back