Well... I bought an MS-260 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walter, Get it running yet? If you can get a $35 260 pro running im searously jealous:jawdrop:

JT
Hi JT,
Had family staying over the weekend so I didn't get a chance to work on it (other than to find manuals.)

And no need to be jealous. If I do get it working it is the result of:
  • Noob luck. Possibly it was more or less discarded because the seller had budget for a new saw or their dealer quoted a repair price higher than the saw was worth. And we all know we can beat dealer's prices with free labor, used parts etc. and still get a good repair.
  • Some level of skill. Before going for an engineering degree I wrenched on VW/Porsche/Audi including unit work (engine and trans rebuild.) But this is my first foray into 2 stroke engines.
  • Help from members here. This is perhaps the biggest factor. There's an incredible depth of knowledge on this board and a willingness to offer advice. Even if it starts out "You're stupid - you should ... instead", it has value.
So, if there is any chance that this saw can be restored, I'm pretty sure I have the resources to get it done.

This morning I pulled the muffler and this is what I found.

Best pic I could get of the cylinder wall
DSC_1309-PP.JPG

Piston and rings:
DSC_1307-PP.JPG

Clearly there is a score from the top ring down the skirt. Here's a closeup of that.

DSC_1306-PP.JPG

I think I really need to know what the compression is. My compression tester hasn't been used in about 30 years. The threads look rusty and it looks like water got in the gauge at some point. :( My next task is to search the board for "compression tester" to see if I need a special one or if a screw in automotive type is adequate.

Edit: Autozone loans out one with a screw in hose that looks decent. After 6 pulls it reads 150 psi and a couple more pulls get it up to 160. So... Good compression? Should I expect it to come up quicker?

thanks,
walt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back