Well, I broke down and got one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had to run to Wally-World tonight to get a new duffel bag to pack some clothes in for a three day trip up to Akron this week. Found what looked like it would work for me and the wife said she was gonna pick up a few things while we were there. Not having anything else to do while she shopped around I decided I would head over to the LandG section and handle the Fiskars X25 for a bit. I fondled it for a minute or two and said what the hell, I might as well see what the fellas at AS have been raving about and threw it in the cart. I didnt split much with it when I got home except for about a dozen or so pieces that looked like they could use a little down-sizing but it didnt take me long to figure out that it sure does feel a lot better balanced through the swing than the old maul. Ill still pack the maul along when splitting wood to knock rounds around with and such but I think that the Fiskars and myself will get along just fine. On a side note the X25 fits me real well seeing as how Im a full 5'-5" with my boots on. Cheers everyone.

I handled one the last time I was in wally world as well. I'm 6'2 and I thought it might be a tad short for every day splitting. I still may pick one up to throw in the camper for occasional use.

Good for you! The more you use it, the better you will get with it. Although designed for the same work, they are different enough from a maul to require a different technique in use. Been my experience anyway. Took me a bit to get into the "swing" of things, heh.

Good for you! The more you use it, the better you will get with it. Although designed for the same work, they are different enough from a maul to require a different technique in use. Been my experience anyway. Took me a bit to get into the "swing" of things, heh.

Well said, I experienced the same thing. Also found that my Fiskars will split anything that an 8lb maul will. No need to carry the maul around unless it is 10lb or more.

If my X-27 won't split it. I go straight for the splitting wedge and sledge. Skip right over my maul now

I was at wally world today and thought I would check and see if they had any. Lord and behold, they had the x25 and the x7 hatchet. I couldnt bring myself to buying one. It just didnt seem much different than my collins maul and as far as sharpness, I was expecting much more. The hatchet was pretty sharp but the all the x25's I got out were no sharper than any maul I have had my hands on and after the posts on here I was expecting it to be very sharp. I guess I need a few swings with one before I'm convinced it is better than the maul I use now. For now, I will save my money and I think I would prefer the longer x27 anyways. Thats my $0.02

If my X-27 won't split it. I go straight for the splitting wedge and sledge. Skip right over my maul now

You are using the wrong maul. This one has been doing my splitting since back in the 1980's.

Mauls004.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I hate splitting with something with a round handle. And that would wear me out fast. Especially if your already tired and swing that off center. And it just shoots to the right or left.

I was at wally world today and thought I would check and see if they had any. Lord and behold, they had the x25 and the x7 hatchet. I couldnt bring myself to buying one. It just didnt seem much different than my collins maul and as far as sharpness, I was expecting much more. The hatchet was pretty sharp but the all the x25's I got out were no sharper than any maul I have had my hands on and after the posts on here I was expecting it to be very sharp. I guess I need a few swings with one before I'm convinced it is better than the maul I use now. For now, I will save my money and I think I would prefer the longer x27 anyways. Thats my $0.02

Does the packaging allow you take the head out of the sheath to assess its sharpness? When my Fiskars stuff came new, I think it was zip-tied. Something is missing from this equation, because I have a Collins maul as well as both the Fiskars SS and X27, and find it inconceivable that the Fiskars could seem no sharper than the Collins, or that anyone holding a Fiskars would not see the difference in the wedge shape and how it will perform. My Collins is uselessly thick at the edge -- even with a razor edge it won't split anything. My most-used SS is no longer razor sharp but still splits beautifully. If the WalMart Fiskars really is not sharp, perhaps there is some issue -- liability, or being made to a price? Anybody have a pic of the edge on their WalMart X25?

Broke down and bought a x25, because x27 isn't available locally. overall nice weight and handle the head was sharp. Didn't have much time to split before work this morning but in the few swings I did get in it went over well (stringy ash). The length is a problem for me though being 6'3". I will be taking it back and continuing my seach for a x27 around here unless somebody wants to send me theirs.

Does the packaging allow you take the head out of the sheath to assess its sharpness? When my Fiskars stuff came new, I think it was zip-tied. Something is missing from this equation, because I have a Collins maul as well as both the Fiskars SS and X27, and find it inconceivable that the Fiskars could seem no sharper than the Collins, or that anyone holding a Fiskars would not see the difference in the wedge shape and how it will perform. My Collins is uselessly thick at the edge -- even with a razor edge it won't split anything. My most-used SS is no longer razor sharp but still splits beautifully. If the WalMart Fiskars really is not sharp, perhaps there is some issue -- liability, or being made to a price? Anybody have a pic of the edge on their WalMart X25?

The packaging did allow me to remove the head out of the sheath. I can see the difference in the shape but I am not convinced it is any better than what I have. Like I said, I would have to try one out to be a believer. I am not trying to bash the product, maybe it does work well, its just not what I had expected. I would like to hold the x27 in my hands to see if I like the feel any better.

I just went and reread my first posts and noticed I led you to believe I didnt see a difference in the looks. What I meant was I didnt see it being much different as far as it being that much better if any than what I have. I can tell the head is shaped different. Hopefully I get to try one out sometime and using one changes my mind.

Last edited:
The packaging did allow me to remove the head out of the sheath. I can see the difference in the shape but I am not convinced it is any better than what I have. Like I said, I would have to try one out to be a believer. I am not trying to bash the product, maybe it does work well, its just not what I had expected. I would like to hold the x27 in my hands to see if I like the feel any better.

I just went and reread my first posts and noticed I led you to believe I didnt see a difference in the looks. What I meant was I didnt see it being much different as far as it being that much better if any than what I have. I can tell the head is shaped different. Hopefully I get to try one out sometime and using one changes my mind.

It boils down to what you define as much better. Any decent maul will split wood. The fiskars splits it with much less effort. In my book, that is "much better". I can split basically almost all the same wood, much faster, it is half the weight of my 8lb maul, much easier, it just pops them open it doesn't bash them open, with less fatigue at the end of the pile of rounds. I personally can't describe it any simpler than that.

Now a few guys here have tried them and don't like them, but it is safe to say that most guys here have had the same experience as me. And by most, well over 90% or better, judging by all he numerous posts and threads regarding fiskars.

I just checked on amazon, 130 reviews, 110 give it a five star rating. Site sponsor baileys has them, but I haven't looked at the reviews there.

There appears to be some discrepancy in how they ship now (just glancing down the reviews and the report up above), some come really sharp, others dull***. My original SS came wicked sharp. I mean close to filet knife sharp. Without any doubt they need to be sharp to work well. Once sharp, you can *fly* with them once you have your proper axe versus maul swinging technique down.

***It could very well be there are near exact chicom knockoffs out there now. There is for everything else on the planet, so maybe that is what is going on...I just don't know why some ship dull.

I checked to see if they were knockoffs and still were made in Finland. Maybe the dull ones are finished on a Friday, lol. I may at some point try the x27, who knows.

Mine was in a removable sheath and I WAS able to check it for sharpness. I was actually surprised as to how sharp it was from the factory. With that being said I done foresee it being a big deal to fine tune the edge on the axe when the time comes.

I checked to see if they were knockoffs and still were made in Finland. Maybe the dull ones are finished on a Friday, lol. I may at some point try the x27, who knows.

I will check mine tonight but Im almost certain that it said made in Finland on the packaging.

Latest posts

Back