well, I cut one down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarcuda

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
And it was pretty rotten. the whole bottom 7 feet of the tree had 1/4 of the side rotted away. it was just waiting to fall. its was leaning pretty bad too.

Looks like you cut that one down to size. Looks like it needed it. Any clue to what originally caused the crack and hollow?

i dont know. i just moved in in august and that tree has been here a long time. I see a lot of these tress have damage near the base (probably from kids with 4 wheelers since theres a lot of tracks around the property).

Those wounds don't look like 4-wheelers, more like bobcats used in clearing.

Sorry you had to lose your trees; what will you replant there?

the property has oak trees all around it and behind it in the woods. I was thinking that I may take some of the small ones from near the house and move them around into places where I want them to go.

I'm not too sure how well, oak trees like being replanted. any suggestions on the size of the trees I should try an move. there are a bunch of brand new ones sprouting up everywhere (like 10" and smaller)

I've moved 10" size with good results. Just dig it deep and a wide circumference. Try a couple and if you dont see leaf wilt in a week than you know you dug it right.

Good luck.

A hot fire too close to an oak tree will cause that too. Cant see the damage for a long while. The bark will dry and break off first, then wood will rot out like that.

Latest posts

Back