Well...I Hit Stihl Parts Paydirt!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A long time logger(ran his own business for 32 years) that lived in the area and i had been cutting for for the last year or so passed away a couple months ago(@72)..before he passed i had been dealing with him on buying all of his old stihl stuff.. He had been running stihl up until about 5 years ago..and 066's since they came out...well all that stuff went to the boy and he as a full time job and doesn't have time to deal with the logging...so long story short i still ended up with the stihl parts...

the tally...
  • 5-good fuel tanks (1 redlight)-all of which has the carb body&trigger assembly
  • 1-good crank
  • a couple sets of crankcase halves(some of them have loose clutch side bearings-don't know if there is a way to fix that yet)
  • several top covers
  • several air filter covers
  • several filter bases
  • 4 or 5 mufflers
  • 3 or 4 used cylinders
  • couple coils
  • 5-066 clutch covers
  • several 066 spikes
  • couple 066 metal flywheels
  • 2-031clutch covers
  • 2-031 top covers/back handle
  • 10 or so drive sprockets
  • 1-25" stihl ES bar
  • 1-handlebar (066)
  • 1-031 handlebar(i think)
  • 3 new oregon tips
  • couple clutches
  • air filters
  • MS 660 complete parts saw(the case is whollered out on the clutch side and the bearing is loose-ive got a crankcase as long as the #'s match that im gonna swap it over to) all i need is crank bearings(already have the seals) and a piston..and i'll have a runner
and there are several other miscellaneous parts & nuts and bolts

Last edited:
Those cases are probably junk.

yea..i pretty well figured they were. one thing i was thinking...is the steel insert that is in the case on the crankcase side fastened in there any way?? i was thinking of potentially heating up the mag crankcase and trying to press out the steel insert and turning a new one on a lathe....if i need a case i'll buy one...i just wanna try that just to see if it can be done

o...btw...today i got...
  • 32" Windsor bar w/new 32" stihl chain
  • 2 metal flywheels
  • 1 poly flyweeh
  • another coil
  • 3 recoil covers..so i think that makes 6 now
  • 1 clutch covers
  • 2 top covers
  • 2 air filter covers
  • a cylinder
  • a crank
  • 4 brake bands&brake parts
  • a new chain brake handle in the wrapper
  • filter base(new style)
  • carb
  • new starter pulley in wrapper
  • 2 muffler bodies
  • the cover that goes over the chain brake parts
  • a couple bar shims
  • several more nuts and bolts

that is about all i can think of for now

Last edited:
i got a couple clutch drums as well..

I know this is gonna become atleast one saw(gonna build the 660) and maybe two if i can come up with a crankcase..anybody got any idea what a crankcase costs---i bet it is pretty high

That would be nice to build a saw out of the parts you got from him. Keep his memory alive. You mentioned he was 70 or so. How old was your friend before he stopped logging?

i got a couple clutch drums as well..

I know this is gonna become atleast one saw(gonna build the 660) and maybe two if i can come up with a crankcase..anybody got any idea what a crankcase costs---i bet it is pretty high

used with crank? $60-100...
New (no crank) $300 plus (includes installed bearings)

o yes ultra...there will be eye candy as well...i'm thinking i'm gonna do a step by step...from crankcase through milling and porting the cylinder...and the end results with pics and video...i'm sure that would be enjoyed by all:cheers:

That would be nice to build a saw out of the parts you got from him. Keep his memory alive. You mentioned he was 70 or so. How old was your friend before he stopped logging?

i don't know how long it had been since he had done any cutting...but he was still running a logging crew..i cut almost 400,000 bdft for him last year in the stents that i worked for him, and ran a skidder for him quite a bit..he mainly marked up logs/ran a loader & loaded trucks, so he was still very active in it. he was a heck of an ole man and he thought the world of me because i was a young pup getting into logging.

one of the other crews that i do alot of cutting for locally bought his skidder...a nice 1998 JD 540G(he bought it new) so i'll still be around the equipment

Back