Well...I Hit Stihl Parts Paydirt!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
used with crank? $60-100...
New (no crank) $300 plus (includes installed bearings)

ive got 3 good cranks for sure..i need to measure them or look at the part numbers and see if they are earlier models with the smaller bearings. ive already got a seal kit..and i need to do some more research and look into the crankcases ive got..but ive got 2 potential good ones to build off of if the bearing journals are the right size. so in theory all i would need would be the bearings and a piston..

so since ive already got the cranks and seals...i'm thinking of just finding a matching set of crank halves and going from there(if mine don't work)..only time will tell

what do you guys think would cause the clutch side bearing journal in the crankcase to get whollered out and become loose on these saws? these is prolly 4 or 5 crankcases like this...think it is from vibration in the cut hammering out the case(from too low of rakers or something to the likes)

Last edited:
what do you guys think would cause the clutch side bearing journal in the crankcase to get whollered out and become loose on these saws? these is prolly 4 or 5 crankcases like this...think it is from vibration in the cut hammering out the case(from too low of rakers or something to the likes)

Over-tight chains, over advanced ignition, excessivedy ported saw (or all of these) trashing bearings, and the fool continues to run them like that. I've seen maybe one ever.... you really have to abuse an 066 to free up the cast-in steel bearing liner.

Last edited:
Over-tight chains, over advanced ignition, excessivedy ported saw (or all of these) trashing bearings, and the fool continues to run them like that. I've seen maybe two ever.... you really have to abuse an 066 to free up the cast-in steel bearing liner.

all saws were bone stock...mufflers and all, no porting or ignition work. the bearings that came out of the ones that ive disassembled seem like they are ok..they didn't seem to lock up and spin..it is just like they have worked back and forth and wore the steel liner...

all saws were bone stock...mufflers and all, no porting or ignition work. the bearings that came out of the ones that ive disassembled seem like they are ok..they didn't seem to lock up and spin..it is just like they have worked back and forth and wore the steel liner...

Is the LINER loose or are the bearings worn/loose?

the liner itself is not loose in the crankcase...but the bearings fit loosely inthe the bearing liner

ah.....

bent cranks? put all of yours on v-blocks or between centers and measure the runout..

Also.. as they were beaten logger saws - they may have been rebuilt a few times...

and.... it doens't happen overnight.. These saws leaked air and ran "noisy" for a long time...

ah.....

bent cranks? put all of yours on v-blocks or between centers and measure the runout..

Also.. as they were beaten logger saws - they may have been rebuilt a few times...

and.... it doens't happen overnight.. These saws leaked air and ran "noisy" for a long time...

all good advice...and will do..i'll have to look into it

Over-tight chains, over advanced ignition, excessivedy ported saw (or all of these) trashing bearings, and the fool continues to run them like that. I've seen maybe one ever.... you really have to abuse an 066 to free up the cast-in steel bearing liner.

One ever....Hahahahaha! I've got a basket full of these cases. The problem is a spun bearing IMO. Once the bearing spins, for what ever reason, usually from dirt, the bushing breaks loose in the case an causes an air leak. When this happens take a look at the paint around outside of the bushing inside the case. If the paint is cracked around the outer side of the case bushing there no good. I've never tried to rebush one, alway bought new cases. When finding old cases there's usually a good reason why someone took the time to split them apart......Beware! :cheers:

Last edited:
Here's a positive thought:monkey: ......I guess you could JBweld the case bushing......Hahahahahahaha! :cheers:

One ever....Hahahahaha! I've got a basket full of these cases. The problem is a spun bearing IMO. Once the bearing spins, for what ever reason, usually from dirt, the bushing breaks loose in the case an causes an air leak. When this happens take a look at the paint around outside of the bushing inside the case. If the paint is cracked around the outer side of the case bushing there no good. I've never tried to rebush one, alway bought new cases. When finding old cases there's usually a good reason why someone took the time to split them apart......Beware! :cheers:

thanks for the thoughts..i'll look at them a bit closer..if i don't have any good crankcases i'll just buy one and build me a saw out of it

o yes ultra...there will be eye candy as well...i'm thinking i'm gonna do a step by step...from crankcase through milling and porting the cylinder...and the end results with pics and video...i'm sure that would be enjoyed by all:cheers:

i don't know how long it had been since he had done any cutting...but he was still running a logging crew..i cut almost 400,000 bdft for him last year in the stents that i worked for him, and ran a skidder for him quite a bit..he mainly marked up logs/ran a loader & loaded trucks, so he was still very active in it. he was a heck of an ole man and he thought the world of me because i was a young pup getting into logging.

one of the other crews that i do alot of cutting for locally bought his skidder...a nice 1998 JD 540G(he bought it new) so i'll still be around the equipment

Hey Silogger was that Basil Adams that passed away? Who bought that 540G?

Hey Silogger was that Basil Adams that passed away? Who bought that 540G?

yup..it was Basil

Danny Alstat bought the 540G....he has 6 skidders now:monkey: his boy is running it and ive been doing alot of cutting for him...this winter was a b*tch wasn't it!!i was gonna work this morning but the wind is blowing like a bastard and i know it is gonna rain

Last edited:
yup..it was Basil

Danny Alstat bought the 540G....he has 6 skidders now:monkey: his boy is running it and ive been doing alot of cutting for him...this winter was a b*tch wasn't it!!i was gonna work this morning but the wind is blowing like a bastard and i know it is gonna rain

Yeah I was talking to log buyer the other day and said he thought he heard he passed away. Damn how he does run all six skidders? How old is Danny Alstat boy? This was the longest winter of my life Im glad to see summer and for the sweat balls to start flying that way i can fill the damn bank account back up. Yeah the wind has been holding me up too but i final got caught up on my skiddin.

440A
440A
440D
540B
540G
548GII
648D

....i guess he has 7....i don't know y..most of them sit around! the boy (Daniel is 23ish)

This winter was definently bad for logging and the spring has not been any better to me or any other logger around my area. it seems like its finnaly drying up hereb though.

This winter was definently bad for logging and the spring has not been any better to me or any other logger around my area. it seems like its finnaly drying up hereb though.

yea.....well we just got about 3 hrs of pretty hard rain....but its nice outside now!!!

ITS PRETTY WINDY HERE RIGHT KNOW WE ALSO HAD HEAVY RAIN AND HAIL LAST NIGHT.

it didn't hit until about 9:30 this morning here...the trees would be dancing today if you were out cutting them(like i haven't done that before:monkey: )

Latest posts

Back