Well, I may be adding another saw to my lineup...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I pulled out a saw under my tool box that I was given last year.

Poulan 2750, 46cc, 20" bar. It has maybe 6-7 tanks run through it.

Guy gave it to me to fix the starter, the plastic spool was stripped, so I replaced it, and it still wouldnt pull right, found that all the engine mounts were gone in the bottom...

So I got 4 new ones, and found that 3 of the holes were stripped...:mad:

So I tossed it in the pile. It ran and started fine, had gobs of compression, and cut great, but the bolts would fall out.

So Im bored, and I think I might go tear it down, and re-tap the holes or something.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
computeruser said:
Or you could fix it up and flip it on eBay. Chainsaws are picking up, good money to be had for mediocre saws...

Naaa, I live in the middle of Hurricane Central USA...

These bad boys are priceless after a Hurricane.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
computeruser said:
Ahhh, good point. I hadn't thought of that. Even better than eBay, I should think!

Ive been considering getting a team of 4-5 saws, ranging from the smaller XXV style up to a larger saw like this 2750 to rent out after storms.

People will pay good money..and if they break it...it was just a poulan.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
okay, got it down to the bare block.

All 4 holes are stripped clean.

I broke off a little bolt that holds the Anti-Vibe handle to the top of the head.

The piston looks cleanl, absolutely no scoring anywhere, and the piston only has light discoloration near the wrist pins on the side.

Something odd I found, was the Rod. IT is copper colored. It isnt burnt orange, it looks like new, but it looks like it is made of copper...:confused:

Seals are clean, bearings are clean, bore is like new. It only took me 40 minutes to go from a complete saw to this..not bad:clap:

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nothing wrong with copper coloured. I've seen plenty like that. I'm sure someone will be able to tell us why.

retoocs555

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
What happens if the poulan you rent out breaks the person who rented it? Just a thought...

RED-85-Z51 said:
Ive been considering getting a team of 4-5 saws, ranging from the smaller XXV style up to a larger saw like this 2750 to rent out after storms.

People will pay good money..and if they break it...it was just a poulan.

You and I really need to get together and make a deal on something. You seem to like and want models of saw that I have tons of :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I should have a picture showing a few small XL type, metal cased homeslices for you in a few hours.

SinglerM

SinglerM

ArboristSite Operative
Heli-coil

There are a variety of different thread repair methods.
Heli-coil (insert or twinsert, if you need to oversize the hole.)
Rosan inserts
Keen-sert.
Just a few, not sure what the saw companies recommend. Regular heli-coils are what I've mostly used on aircraft. Probably the most widely used.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think Im just going to take the head/jug to a machine shop and let them get the broken screw out, and fix the holes. I just dont have great luck with those type of things. Ive heli-coiled plenty of spark plug holes, and have had 100% success.

The holes that are stripped are very small. Like #10 screw size.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
retoocs555 said:
What happens if the poulan you rent out breaks the person who rented it? Just a thought...

You and I really need to get together and make a deal on something. You seem to like and want models of saw that I have tons of :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I should have a picture showing a few small XL type, metal cased homeslices for you in a few hours.

I wish I found some of the stuff down here in Florida that you find up North. ALl I find around here are old blown up Craftsman and Poulans. Thats all anyone ever buys.

Echo, Stihl, Husky are the only big saws marketed down here.

I missed a deal a few years back...Man had a 4X8 Trailor stacked with Old MacCullochs, Homlites, and what looked like some Huskys. and I saw a few stihls...COmplete saws, many looked like new. Story was he was operating a business W/O a liscence and he had X days to get rid of everything he had, and he wouldnt let me pick anything off his trailer...

I saw a handful of Mac 110/140 saws, just sitting there...:cry:

retoocs555

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here's your rental line up!

Now I'm just teasing you. :biggrinbounce2:

Your poulan rental lineup: XXV, 2050, 2800, 3400

The 3400 is the only one I haven't gone through.

attachment.php

retoocs555

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
Homelites

The little saws you asked about in your PM. This is just 4 metal cased ones I had handy without driving to any of my storage places.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
retoocs555 said:
Now I'm just teasing you. :biggrinbounce2:

Your poulan rental lineup: XXV, 2050, 2800, 3400

The 3400 is the only one I haven't gone through.

attachment.php

Ive got a 3400 in WIZARD colors, nice saw.
2050 is nice, its a pretty good sized saw.
2800 is nice, but as I recall is is pretty small displacement isnt it?
XXV is just old school micro power.

FOR THE XL's. Do you know if you have any that the back of the handle comes straigh down into the case, instead of out into that point? No hurry on those, not like I need the saw going immediatly anyways.

Got any 306, 306A, or 306SA's? IVe got a 306A that needs a muffler..runs great, just needs a muffler..:chainsaw:

Latest posts