Well it happened

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this is going to leave a fn mark ...... 35 plus years of cutting .... I have had saws kick on me but today the 046 got me in the face...... Bucking a 18 inch log on the ground - nothing around it - both feet planted - text book position ----- Grabbed trigger -set saw down on log - boom on my ass. Kicked back so fast it took saw right out of my throttle Hand - hit me right in the face. Had I not been wearing glasses I would be missing an eye. My phone was in my skid loader.and I had to crawl up into it to call for help. So then next time you see me I will have chaps, logger books, traffic cones/ reflective vest/ ear protection / face guard on. hahaha Operation Safety Sally for a little while. Went to ER - and got a ton of stitches and put down as covid then sent home hahah Be careful kids if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone
Thankful you wasn't hurt any worse. Hopefully you'll heal fast and get back on the job. :)

Thanks for sharing, I hope you have a full recovery. I'll use this as a reminder the next time I don't feel like going and grabbing my helmet with face shield or throwing on my chaps because they're in the garage. I hired a company to cut down a few trees from me about a month ago and I was surprised they wore no safety gear. At the very least eye or ear protection but nothing. No safety harness In the bucket truck. I can't imagine running a chipper for 8 hours a day and not wearing ear protection.

Chain saw safety is important and I also believe that wearing protective gear can be just as dangerous as poor safety practices. I know and have watched hundreds of pros who depend on their gear to protect them. The right gear for the right situation with the right mindset. I have never experienced a kickback situation in at least 5,000 cords of cutting but that does not mean it can not happen. What concerns me the most is upper body injuries. I have worn my MX safety gear quite a bit which does give me some peace of mind. A good helmet and or hard hat is also important. However on a hot day I am out cutting logs in cut offs with a helmet ⛑ and glasses. In most cases I cut logs and not what I see here. A sick of wood is not wood until it is over 20'' which means they require different protection. As far as ear protection I do not leave the house with out. Thanks

Yes s*it happens. All of mine have been minor after 50+ years of fire wood. Glad you will be OK, OK. I guess the most cammon thing I have happen is a spring branch/pole that I hid not see comming. But the worst was limb that bounced back and knocked a gaff out of my climbers. What a ride down the tree. Get well quick!

Did your brake set?
had to have. That looks like a stopped chain injury.

I wore full ppe today. I have it. I should bloody well wear it!

It takes 2 minutes to gear up.

the face screen only iced up a wee bit. The earmuffs were welcome, and I didn't even get my jeans filthy dirty, And I wear steel toes and decent gloves routinely, so why not the hat and chaps? Not one reason why not.

My sincere wishes for a speedy recovery. My mother would say you killed a guardian angel that day. I've never had a severe kickback, but did have a chain break when I hit a hidden 1/4 inch timber spike in a living tree. It happened so fast that I didn't even have time to say Oh s**t. Again, heal fast and be safe.

Well this is going to leave a fn mark ...... 35 plus years of cutting .... I have had saws kick on me but today the 046 got me in the face...... Bucking a 18 inch log on the ground - nothing around it - both feet planted - text book position ----- Grabbed trigger -set saw down on log - boom on my ass. Kicked back so fast it took saw right out of my throttle Hand - hit me right in the face. Had I not been wearing glasses I would be missing an eye. My phone was in my skid loader.and I had to crawl up into it to call for help. So then next time you see me I will have chaps, logger books, traffic cones/ reflective vest/ ear protection / face guard on. hahaha Operation Safety Sally for a little while. Went to ER - and got a ton of stitches and put down as covid then sent home hahah Be careful kids if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone
Thankfully it wasn't worse. Will just have to wear the new scar with pride and hope the ladies dig it. I will still say get well soon but have a feeling you're already back cutting wood. Think I should start wearing safety gear

Many years ago I had a 60 cc saw kick up and back at me. I have NO memory of the cause BUT.. fortunately I had VERY fast reflexes and was very strong at the time..What I do remember is it was a Poulan back when Poulan made logger saws..It was my first saw with a Chain Brake..I was able to stop it inches from my face. I sat the saw down killed the motor and took a break..When I got ready to start back to work I noticed the Chain Brake had tripped from hitting the back of my hand..It had all happened so fast I didn't recall the chain brake locking or hitting my hand..I've been very lucky, or as I say, BLESSED..the ONLY other close call was a round rolling just as I was cutting it and I temporarily, stumbled. I let up on the throttle but the saw nipped the very end of my Steel toe boot..I always wear Steel Toe boots, even to town shopping.. I had just bought that pair the day before and I was able to wear them for almost a year after that before they died and went to old boot heaven..I absolutely refuse to step out of my door without my Steel toe boots.. One night years ago I cotton mouth hit my boot about an inch from the top..Left scratches and venom but since my pant legs were always tucked inside the space saved my butt..I've been snake bitten and it hurts all way to the bone..Feels like a HUGE bee sting and itches, burns and hurts...Cotton mouth,, small one.. Raised in Louisiana and wading in and around bottom land one can expect to find a few cotton mouths..I've been a very lucky man with everything except women. Single since 1993 and feel like I escaped from a federal prison and I had been married to the Warden..Ha. Ha..Not all men need a 24/7 Supervisor at home..Especially an undomesticated guy who grew up in the woods. Ha Ha..Good day.

.I've been a very lucky man with everything except women. Single since 1993 and feel like I escaped from a federal prison and I had been married to the Warden..

That reminds me of Andy Dufresne in the best movie ever made 'The Shawshank redemption" ;)

I went back out to the wood pile because non of this was making any sense to me AT ALL I looked at the other rounds near the one I was cutting on and boom ! Found it. It must have been in front of the round I was cutting. and I either didnt see it or misjudged the bar sticking out of the round. Im pissed that I did this ..

That's a common accident that is described in almost every safety manual about chainsaws. It's very easy to focus on the cut itself and forget about the surrounding twigs or logs laying around which may be in reach of the tip of the bar.
I like short bars for that particular reason, especially for trimming and bucking. Had an 038 flying over my head with lightning speed some thirty years ago, while cutting a thick hedge at shoulder height. No injury but learned my lesson. And learned also to put my saw down whenever fatigue sets in. Hope you heal well.

Just a few days ago a snag (dead tree) decided to fall the wrong way. Backwards. It ripped out the punky hinge and that was that. I felt it pinch, went "oh, no I'm stuck", then went "oh no, it's not stopping". So I dropped everything and left at about 90 degrees. Phew! That's the second one over many amateur years...

I should have judged that tree more better.

I've had a few little kicks, but no kickbacks. Knock on wood.
Yeah, I'm all about "Abandon saw!" - and run. Not going to outrun a kickback, but a lot of other things give you a bit of time to flee. I can buy another saw.

Thanks for sharing this incident. It's a reminder that when we think nothing can happen the worst can happen. Hope you heal up fast. I think we will all be more diligent now with our ppe and techniques.

Back