WELL...that got my attention...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD48

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Cut, topped, and skidded out a big red oak tonight, right before the property owner pulled in (he was there to cut his own firewood)

got on the tractor to retrieve another load, started down the big hill and went to put the tractor in reverse to back up to the next log...NO BRAKES..

Well I couldn't get her back in gear and was coasting down the hill...all i could think was, how am i gonna get this thing stopped....then i saw it, a stump that I had left about 6 inches tall...I knew it was gonna hurt, but not nearly as bad if i crested the next knoll...so I dropped the bucket and prayed it would catch....it did....I was able to get it turned around and headed back up the hill...

I have used this tractor for the last 5 years with no problems...someone up above was looking out for me today...

Well that's how my day went...BE CAREFUL GUYS!!

Good thinking!!!

Glad ta hear ya made it unscathed.:clap::clap:

Now about that 2" dia. puckered up spot on the seat.
Don't bother with applying heat or whatever, it wont work.

When Vinyl gets stretched under a vaccum like that it extrudes, so just slap some duct tape on it.;)

Didja snag a brake line? I hate it when that happens.
If I was in hilly country like you, I'd hate it even more!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

When Vinyl gets stretched under a vaccum like that it extrudes, so just slap some duct tape on it.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:hmm3grin2orange::laugh::laugh::hmm3grin2orange:

...someone up above was looking out for me today...

Sheesh! Glad you are okay! Well, now that he has your attention, you have to pass on the favor to someone else. That's the way it works: Pay it forward - do something nice for someone else. That's one way he keeps us balanced. :)

Shari

Good thinking!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The Vinyl is long gone, will replace the foam later this week...hahaha:)

Good thinking!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2:

My old man calls that "cuttin' washers" LOL.

Glad you are ok. Tractors and equipment are so much fun, when things go sideways they suck even more!!! I have been training myself to be a mechanic mostly out of fear of what will happen if a truck or skid steer fails in some unexpected way.

Keep up the good work, stay safe.

That was good thinking on your part. I always wonder what I would do if that happens. It's easy to say we would do this or that until it happens.

Glad it turned out ok for you.

I always try to follow the rule of never take the equipment out of gear on a slope except when at a full stop with the brakes on. I learned this the hard way with our Unimog. Once it starts moving getting it into gear is real tough when the engine and the tranny are out of sync.

I always try to follow the rule of never take the equipment out of gear on a slope except when at a full stop with the brakes on. I learned this the hard way with our Unimog. Once it starts moving getting it into gear is real tough when the engine and the tranny are out of sync.

Yep. Following basic safety rules can be a real pain sometimes, but when it pays off, it pays off big!

Glad you were thinking quickly enough to catch that stump! :cheers:

I was skidding with my old Ford 9N before I got my winch and I tried to back down a hill with about 6" deep soggy wet snow on it. Just as I crested the hill I put full force on the back wheel brakes and the tires locked right up as expected. Problem was they had zero traction on the snow/leaves/hill so down I start to go. Looking back down the hill I can see the tree I was ready to haul up approaching fast and it was a ~20" maple facing me butt first. I realized the drawbar was going to hit it and the only question in my mind was how far down the hill would the tractor push the tree? The tree had been dropped over a month before so it was stuck good to the ground as I quickly found out when the tractor's drawbar firmly hit that butt. The tractor stopped dead. Now seeing that I was literally standing with all my weight on my right foot firmly on the brakes, I was very top heavy as my butt was not on the seat. When the tractor came to a dead stop momentum dictated that I keep going. I was flung about 10' off the back of the tractor and I landed on my back on that darn maple. They are very hard, much harder than the snow.

Man I hate them sudden stops at the end!

This pic's been around the farm forums for a while. What happens when the loader drops and digs in while at road speed!

yourfile2.gif

Holy cow! That must have been a real show stopper, folded that puppy up, good post on tractor safety.

Also be careful loading tractors on trailers on uneven ground. My son was loading our little 45 hp deere after plowing a garden for a neighbor. Truck was parked on a slope, when he got the front tires up on the bumper trailer it lifted the azz end of the truck enough to have the truck trailer and tractor start sliding down hill, he thought quickly and dropped the plow stopping it all.
Could have been a real wreck.

Good thinking!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
yeeeeehawww!

Holy cow! That must have been a real show stopper, folded that puppy up, good post on tractor safety.

Also be careful loading tractors on trailers on uneven ground. My son was loading our little 45 hp deere after plowing a garden for a neighbor. Truck was parked on a slope, when he got the front tires up on the bumper trailer it lifted the azz end of the truck enough to have the truck trailer and tractor start sliding down hill, he thought quickly and dropped the plow stopping it all.
Could have been a real wreck.

Your Kid and I must have been related in another life.

I mangled the entire Bedside of my Chebby doing the same thing with a 3pt. spray tank on the back...no blade to drop. I did however stomp the hell outta the tractor brake while turning the wheel to no avail.

That hill didn't seem steep enough, but I now chock the front wheels every time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back