WELL...that got my attention...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we pulled the cylinders from behind the pedals tonight and found them to be in need of rebuilding....

Have new seal kits on the way...and will be pulling the axle covers to check the "pads"...and the hand brake will also get some attention...

Should be up and running in a day or 2...

Gonna go ahead and do a filter/fluid change on all the fluids and replace a couple hydro lines while we are at it....have been thinking about fixing all the lights at some point later this summer...

I would love to find a seat cheap.....

Have you looked at Tractor SUpply or Northern Tool. They have some pretty cheap seats.

hmmm....lets see...its my day off...its raining...cant cut...need some 3 point hitch parts anyway....looks like road trip!!!!

thanks!

I have a backhoe that hasn't had brakes the entire time I've had it, (16 years now). You learn to work with it. However, I was taking it to a friends house one time and went up a long, steep hill, and was stupid enough to try a shift. Suffice it to say, I missed it and started going backwards, really fast! I lowered the front bucket but it was basically no help at all. Then I started swerving back and forth, (no power steering of course). I was going to jump off but I was firmly stuck to the seat. The only thing I had left to do was drop the backhoe itself. Fortunately, that did the trick.

Talk about having your life flashing before your eyes. Actually, I was more worried about how pissed off my wife would be at me for wrecking her tractor.

So, shifting on a hill without brakes=bad!

I have a backhoe that hasn't had brakes the entire time I've had it, (16 years now).

So, shifting on a hill without brakes=bad!

I'd like to modify that a bit.....

Operating a tractor without brakes=bad.

Really, is it that hard to fix them or get them fixed? The person you kill might be someone else. Think about what the story in the newspaper would say "Man killed operating tractor without brakes" or "Man kills child while operating tractor without brakes"

It's an old International with the brakes built inside the rear axle. You literally have to take the entire back of the tractor off to get to them. This was the first time I took it that far off the property. Normally, the farthest I go from my flat property is just around the corner to the gas station. That's all flat ground too so not much chance of getting into trouble. I just keep the speed low enough to stay out of trouble.

It's an old International with the brakes built inside the rear axle. You literally have to take the entire back of the tractor off to get to them.

Add to that if you have filled tires on the back of a tractor they themselves can weigh upwards of 1000# or more. They are very dangerous to take off without a tractor tire crane. Whenever I had to do anything with tractor tires I always called a road service place and let them deal with it. I learned to do this right after the time I tried to take a tire off so I could take it to a tire shop and it almost crushed me. After that I only monkeyed with front tires.

Add to that if you have filled tires on the back of a tractor they themselves can weigh upwards of 1000# or more. They are very dangerous to take off without a tractor tire crane. Whenever I had to do anything with tractor tires I always called a road service place and let them deal with it. I learned to do this right after the time I tried to take a tire off so I could take it to a tire shop and it almost crushed me. After that I only monkeyed with front tires.
No worries there mate. Just installed a brand spanking new set of tubes and tires. The old one's were so friggin old that I just blew the side out of the tire while I was driving one day.

It was cool the way I changed them. Jacked the back tires off the ground with the outriggers, unscrewed em, rolled them to the back of the tractor and put a chain through the tire and let it drop. Picked it up with the backhoe and swung it over into the truck bed. :) Worked really cool.

Your Kid and I must have been related in another life.

I mangled the entire Bedside of my Chebby doing the same thing with a 3pt. spray tank on the back...no blade to drop. I did however stomp the hell outta the tractor brake while turning the wheel to no avail.

That hill didn't seem steep enough, but I now chock the front wheels every time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hahaha. Been there, done that.
Chocking the front tires is alway's a good idea. But if a guy has enough huevos to go ahead and drive the tractor onto the moving trailer, the back of the pickup will set back down and stop. Makes for an interesting ride though.
I put a pair of "swing away" jacks on the back of my last bumper pull trailer and pretty much solved the run away problem. My son stole that trailer and took it home with him when I bought my gooseneck though. I didn't get upset, I just thought about all of my dad's stuff that I didn't return before he died. But I had just borrowed that stuff. :)

Andy

got 2 new master cylinders....$68ea for the whole units...

Latest posts

Back