Well twice I have tried and twice I have failed!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Went out today to the lake again to load my truck, but try as I might I could not fill the darn thing full of wood:angry:. Starting to think it may not be possible in the amount of time I have before work.:laugh:I started at 9am and ended at 1pm.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Maybe I will get it next time!

Earlier start? Bigger saw? Enlist a helper? Any problems with sand on the wood, dulling chains etc? Looks like pretty nice dry stuff.

My first thought is, I don't care for the leaning out those side racks are doing. Not neat if one busts off running down the road.

Thought two is, you need something to get the rounds up in the bed quick and safe. (boom arm with a electric winch?)

Three, in all reality, you are wasting fuel by not pulling a full load home. It would be like going into the woods with your pickup and only bringing back a half load when the wood was there.

Then again, maybe you don't care about any of that stuff, and are happy the way things are.

:)

Beef!

Ya'all got some beef there loading them rounds up! Beef and reach!

I just got back from bucking up a few more big ones off of a huge redoak I dropped a coupla years ago, one I called treequake II. 4 rounds was *it*, all the tractor could carry on the back and make it over the creek. As it was I had to use left/right brakes just to steer the thing, the front end was completely airborne. The only way I can load and unload them things is by rolling them in at ground level, flopping them in, then picking the box up. I am guessing somewhat over 1,000 lbs for four nice ones....

And you got WAY MORE in that truck. You got your workout this weekend! GF wants to know what kind of wood did you get? I always show her pics of deuces at work, she knows I want one....and you one strong puppy getting that loaded!

Here's my score today:

ZOGGER I would trade you loads. In my part of the country there is only elm, pine, and cotton wood. This load was some elm and cotton. I wish we had the good hardwoods like you do. Just buy a duece you wont regret it.

Earlier start? Bigger saw? Enlist a helper? Any problems with sand on the wood, dulling chains etc? Looks like pretty nice dry stuff.
Well I'm already running an 80cc saw, yeah definitely need a helper but cant get anyone around here off their butts. Been pulling the loose bark off and cutting the trees that are off the ground. Hasn't been much problems with dulling of the chain. I am limited on time that I can cut by my work schedule.

Wood, love all of it

ZOGGER I would trade you loads. In my part of the country there is only elm, pine, and cotton wood. This load was some elm and cotton. I wish we had the good hardwoods like you do. Just buy a duece you wont regret it.

I guess around here our equivalent to your cottonwood would be tulip poplar. Cuts easy, rounds are heavy as heck when green, dries out to a lot less, throws only low to moderate heat. I burn a lot of it, easy to split once it starts showing the least bit of cracks, and good for fall and spring and to get things going again in the morning. I don't get all monstah oaks like that log. That's jan-feb wood. That tree was a fully mature standing dead that was leaning right towards a big pine, right over where the cows hang out in the shade, so I had to take it down. Had to use a long rope and comealong and chains and various other stuff and plenty of various wedges and arcane farmer's backcuts. I beavered away at thing for a long time, then...creeeeaaaaaak! BOOM, it shook the ground, musta been a cord of just broken branch chunks laying around..big fun! I've been taking wood for that tree for two years and change now, and still getting to the thick part of the main trunk.

I don't normally take *anything* that big unless I have to, just too much, too hard to handle with my equipment and my 130 lbs of rampaging snorting neogeezer beef! hahahahaha

I burn a ton of grade B or C wood. If I got to touch it, it goes into the stack. I burn some pine, some willow, etc and nasty old sweetgum, along with the good stuff.

Tell ya whut, know that old saying wood heats ya twice? Sweetgum heats ya three times! Once cutting, another time attempting to split it and working up a real good case of self cussing out for being a tard and cutting any, then finally after loads of work you can burn it.

Yep, still want a deuce, I'll keep looking and scheming how I can afford it...

Now that's a firewood truck. May have to look into getting one of those. I do think I would run a chain from one side to another to keep the sides from leaning.

My first thought is, I don't care for the leaning out those side racks are doing. Not neat if one busts off running down the road.

Thought two is, you need something to get the rounds up in the bed quick and safe. (boom arm with a electric winch?)

Three, in all reality, you are wasting fuel by not pulling a full load home. It would be like going into the woods with your pickup and only bringing back a half load when the wood was there.

Then again, maybe you don't care about any of that stuff, and are happy the way things are.

:)

No real worries on the sides. The truck's tailgate is designed to pull the fold down steel sides back in place (each side has a threaded closer for that purpose).

The bed is 7 feet wide so he is no doubt hauling more wood per gallon than most pickups.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. Ron

Exactly its a dropside model and when I close the gate it pulls the sides in. Maybe I will get some pics of it tomorrow so everyone else will understand lol

Good Looking Group of Logs

I'd love to get into some logs like those in the picture. They look to be already seasoned so that helps (less weight) when loading them. I don't think those bigger rounds weigh more than 50 lbs or so. The problem with no helper looks like a lot of jumping back and forth from the ground up to the bed to stack a round and back to the ground -- over and over.

I have a crane on the back of my pickup which saves a lot of strain on my back and like some of the other posters have suggested I do this sometimes -- Load them as billets say 48" long and buck them up at home as I have time.

Nosmo

Nice load !
Get a grapple loader and lift the logs over the truck bed , hop in and block them up (just think how much time you'd save) :msp_laugh:.

That or a trailar and backhoe with forks in the bucket and load the logs whole and get a bunch of loads a day. That's my own personal method except i'm using a wheat truck. It will still haul an 8000 pound load easy.

Filled one of those up three times yesterday by 2 PM. Tractor with forks and log lengths makes for moving a lot of wood. Truck is a lot of fun to drive, but it is a challenge (no power steering). Unloaded the truck in about five minutes (added a dump bed) - takes a couple of minutes to get the load straps off.

Thanks for the pics, that is one nice setup you got there for getting household heat. It would take me 4 or 5 outings just to fill that since I only get to work for two or three hours each time I go to cut firewood. Worked yesterday for about 2 hours and got just about a full cord of wood, primarily elm with about a 1/3 of the wood being hedge. But I was able to move stading dead trees I had cut down a few months ago to my stacking and splitting area while I was out moving bales with the loader, the bigger tree was all that 7810 John Deere wanted.

Please keep the pics coming.

Is that from the Big Mac? We head out that way once a year, but not for wood, well fire wood!

Back