Went for the eucs... chaps saved my leg today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparky8370

Sparky8370

ArboristSite Operative
Hey, there ya go. I gave you your first nova.

PPE ROCKS!!

Seems I pushed him over the edge for the second.
I just bought a pair myself. Not like I use my saws much, but it seems like everyone is always pounding it in your head around here so it kind of stuck. And when I was at lowes I grabbed a pair.

amateur cutter

amateur cutter

ArboristSite Operative
Haven't tested my chaps from husky yet great to know they work! Kudos for wearing the PPE. ( I was told by a guy one time that it only works if you use it )
Very glad to here you're ok.

SpiralAcacia

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
Here's a coupla photoes-

(more photoes http://www.flickr.com/photos/91659995@N00/?saved=1 )

The cut is appr. 8cm/3" long.
Anybody's guess as to retiring the chaps?

Thank you,

SA

SpiralAcacia

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
Still technologically inadequate..

Please try the Flickr webpage...
If some gentleman is willing to link relevant photoes from the Flickr page to this here thread, please do!

SA

BuddhaKat

BuddhaKat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Seems I pushed him over the edge for the second.
I just bought a pair myself. Not like I use my saws much, but it seems like everyone is always pounding it in your head around here so it kind of stuck. And when I was at lowes I grabbed a pair.
There is a rule in my company that's written in stone; If you start a saw with a chain on it, you must be wearing chaps, period. No exceptions, not ever, not for anyone. Considering that I'm the only one in my company that runs the saw I take that rule seriously. That's why I made it in the first place.

Last year I did elevate one of my guys to a cutter, but the majority of his training, and there was lots of it, was spent on safety, safety, safety.

In my little firewood company we go out with three guys. All must wear helmets whenever they're in the work area, and the cutter has to also wear chaps and Kevlar gloves. I use the gloves from Amick's and love them. They were a bit stiff and bulky at first but quickly broke in. Lemme tell ya, they're tougher than wang leather. I would have worn out three sets of leather gloves with the work I've thrown at these gloves and they don't really show any appreciable wear.

ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy

ArboristSite Operative
Hey Sparky, Glad you are ok. Close call.

I am telling all my buddies I will only work with them if they wear protective gear. I try and keep it light, telling them I just don't want their blood messing up my truck. If they don't have gear I'll lend them mine and only one guy at a time runs a saw. I just don't want to be around to watch one of my friends get messed up.

Sparky8370

Sparky8370

ArboristSite Operative
Hey Sparky, Glad you are ok. Close call.

I am telling all my buddies I will only work with them if they wear protective gear. I try and keep it light, telling them I just don't want their blood messing up my truck. If they don't have gear I'll lend them mine and only one guy at a time runs a saw. I just don't want to be around to watch one of my friends get messed up.

Oh that wasn't me. He asked if someone could link those pics for him.

I cut down a couple trees today and almost forgot I had those chaps. They keep my legs warm too.

SpiralAcacia

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
BTW, if you scroll down the Flickr photostream

there's more pics, some from the recent flashfloods here in the desert, some from the dedication of the Columbia Shuttle Crew Memorial (There's a thread in the Off Topic dept.).

So yesterday I randomly meet a fellow firewood cutter, he is a good guy, not a close friend but did help me a few times, inviting me to join him on wood info.
"I heard you messed with your saw...!" , the guy smirks, and I admit to doing so, to which he naturally shakes his head as if saying, What a newbie, It won't happen to ME!
I said, "You know, it CAN happen to anyone and we're not the best of pro's, those chaps saved my butt."
To which he replied, "Not to me, ha ha!"
Of course, not to him! :monkey::monkey::monkey:

But overcome this attitude I will - I'll organize a 1st local cutters GTG - beer&races, no kids allowed, as bait, then do some PPE demo.
Maybe download some nasty hair raisers photoes from "Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities" for seasoning.
I'd hate to see a good man chewed upon by his saw.

It seems I become a PPE preacher.
And I was never the religious type.

SA

Latest posts