Wesspur entry level kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13obrienjo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys im new to this forum. I have a landscaping business. Im looking into getting some entry level climing gear.
I willl have clients ask me if while im at there house doing other jobs i could cut a couple dead branches out of a tree or grab one that broke off but got stuck in the tree. I'm kind of getting tired of telling them i would have to rent a bucket truck or passing it off to another company.
I'm not looking to do removals or large prunning jobs, although maybe some day i will be. This would mostly be for small stuff to help keep customers happy and not having them go to other companys.
Anyways i was looking online and a wesspur entry level combo kit seems to be the way to go. I was thinking about the combo kit were it has the spur kit and the kit to pull your self up on a rope so you don't damage the trees. This sems like the best value.
Any advice or help from someone who has used this brand or another that they think would work would be a lot of help. Thanks.

If your not planning on doing removals don't buy spurs.

If all you're gonna do is deadwooding and removing hangers, I'd pass on the spurs and go with the rope climbing kit. Seriously consider upgrading the harness from the 4D torture device to something more ergonomic with wider padding. A floating bridge is a bonus, IMO.

Alright a couple more questions.
Can I save some money and just use what ever rope I want as long as it is strong enough or do I have to buy the special arboriste rope. How is the rope that is supposed to be used different from regular rope, is it more strechy or less strechy or just really really strong.
Also do I need to buy one of those giant rubber band guns(Bigshot from Sherrilltree) to throw the rope over a top branch or can I just throw it by hand. How hard is it to get the rope up there. Is it worth the extra hundred bucks for the gun or should I just stick to throwing the rope.

Your first acquisition: "The Tree Climber's Companion"
Followed by: "Knots at Work"
No disrespect intended, but there is no point in thinking about buying a cordless framing nailer if you haven't figured out how to use a hammer yet.

You don't want to climb on anything but arborist rope. 16 strand and a blake's hitch is a good starting point IMO.

Your climb line is your lifeline. Is your life worth $120.00 for good rope? Inspect before every climb. Stay away from hardware stores and rock climbing shops.

A bigshot is a good idea if you're going SRT, which is all-around more expensive and more involved. Starting out old-school with a doubled line is probably the best idea.

Proficiency with the throwline is difficult and will only come at the cost of numerous stuck throwbags and lines. You will probably be limited to 20-30 feet per throw by hand. Learning how to advance the climb line is a vital skill.

Read the Tree Climber's Companion several times for comprehension and become proficient with a number of vital knots using various diameter of rope and in various positions before ever leaving the ground. Have a buddy keep an eye on you when you do.

Thanks I have the "tree climbers companian" on order from Amazon and I haden't heard of the other book but I will get that to. Is the book written by Jeff Jepson and Bryan Kotwica?
Thirty feet is about as high as I plan on going so I think I will just stick with throwing by hand.

Alright I just ordered it. Thanks for the advice.
I plan to practice alot in my back yard, any good tips or tricks to help me along?
Also any good stretches or specific muscles to work out that i will be using alot while in the tree.

Alright I just ordered it. Thanks for the advice.
I plan to practice alot in my back yard, any good tips or tricks to help me along?
Also any good stretches or specific muscles to work out that i will be using alot while in the tree.

The biggest challenge I see for new climbers is learning how to trust their gear and relax in the tree. All tensed up, you'll be toast in twenty minutes. Besides that, always have an exit strategy.

A long extension ladder, used to get as high as possible then removed by a helper, can get you into a tree with less energy expended than climbing a rope or spiking up a tree until you have built the muscles and gained confidence. After a while it will be more work to use the ladder. Practice throwing ropes and using throw bags. Find woods to practice climbing many different trees.
Static ropes are something I seldom use in tree work. I reserve them for rescue work and rappel.

The Wesspur kit is great to start out with.
I second overwatch on the saddle replacement: I got the Ergovation Economy with my kit and I love it! Even after only doing a few hours of practice and one two hour removal job for a friend, I wouldn't want to go go without the padding.
It took me a while to become comfortable with my gear, like jollylogger says. I gained a lot more confidence after I didn't have to look up my knots in the book anymore; about ten minutes of practice a couple times a day with two short pieces of rope will get you there pretty quick. I have two copies of the "Tree Climber's Companion": One for home and one in my gear bag, just in case ;).

I'm happy with the Wesspur spur kit I bought, they are good folks too, and could help you figure out a setup for your needs.

Latest posts

Back