West coast Square filers, You input is needed inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the square filing, but if you can tell from the pics, how does the tooth look? I will try to get better pics tomorrow (later tonight). Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks

-Steve

attachment.php

Kinda blurry but it looks like your on the right track. Try and get a pic from the side to show us the side plate angle. Gypo has posted some great closeups of some of his teeth. Do a search for it.

Rotax

focus

The muffler is in focus.

If you take the photo from the side and place the center of the photo on the bar, everything should be clear. Most cameras that use an auto focus work off an area in the center. Should get several teeth in focus, not just one.

Square filed means very sharp, more prone to kick back, abused easier. It can behave similar to an over sharpened round filed tooth. (Where you've got a groove going too deep and have a little too much hook)

In the West, most of the time you'll see square filed used by professional loggers and not firewood cutters. The later spend too much time cuttin' dirt.
Same applies to fire fighters. Dirt, which dulls any standard chain, really affects square filed.

Square filed is harder to file in the field.

do most square filed chain user file in the field?

Sorry, here are better pics. Differant saw and chain. This was a round chain before my lunch hour and came out somewhat square with time to eat too!

attachment.php

Freakingstang said:
Sorry, here are better pics. Differant saw and chain. This was a round chain before my lunch hour and came out somewhat square with time to eat too!

attachment.php

That chain looks pretty damn good to me. You used it,how did it cut??

It cuts fast. I cut some small pine with it and it rips. In 10" pine, it was almost a full second quicker than round filed. I just don't know how it will act or hold up in hardwood. Not sure on the angles.

I used the flat file with the beveled edges. They are called Chisel Bit files. I was using the Stihl brand ones. They seem to hold up pretty well, imo.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back