whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Pulling, a pull line with a truck was a fireable offence when I was coming up, back in the 70's. Also you don't know how much damage your doing to the rope for later use.

Beats heck outta not having enough pull. I have pulled countless trees over with rope and truck but you got to have a feel and strong arse rope! Now I use my winch which bar none is better than any rope puller or grcs made :)

Note when I used truck it was usually to pretension then when have around 1 inch of hingewood left, men would try to finish by hand sometimes not able too! Then I would finish with the truck slowly easing forward however using 3/4 inch stable braid.

Last edited:
no tree to big

no tree to big

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
What? Which thread is that one in i gotta see this. Speaking of Murphen stuff, spent close to 8 hours in a large oak friday that was hanging over a road, fence, and hv lines. Brushed it all out and had a 25' spar left, about 42" DBH. Thought to myself hell ill just pull this thing over. Face cut, bore cut, back cut, stuck a wedge in just cuz. Pulled the saw out and told my guy in the truck to pull ahead. It was headed over when my 5/8's 16 strand rigging line snaped. Said outloud: Self, this is no good as the spar sat back on my wedge and stoped. Long story short i got it on the ground and said F Murphen stuff down. Do it the right way from here on out. I will admit i wouldnt of had a problem if i didnt leave so much hinge wood but still...

throwing a big pine top.mov - YouTube

we have a 1" double braid for pulling BIG stuff I think its good for like 40K we never pull with a 5/8 unless by hand we use 3/4 with a 3 or 5:1

BlackOakTreeServ

BlackOakTreeServ

ArboristSite Guru
23ft 8in. is the world record for murphing tree top over hedges...lol...Dan has to much time on his hands

lol, I like how dan gets the tape measure out.... he's so surprised how far he murphed it:)

tree MDS
you probably had a mullet in the 80's too... hmmmmmmm. Maybe Murphs bucket truck is a time machine.

I bet he's got a cassette player in that bad boy, and a shoe box full of Springsteen and John Cougar Mellencamp tapes riding shotgun. Lol. :laugh:

How'd I do with that one?? Feeling a little off today, so it was kinda forced. It's pretty bad when I can gauge my current level of depression by whether or not I feel like busting murph's ass!! Seriously. Sorry, just thinking out loud here..

rtsims

rtsims

ArboristSite Operative
Wow, that was, well I don't know what that was. You know a guys gotta wonder how much trial and error Ol murph has gone through. I guess the bottom line is it worked for him but you will probably never catch me doin it. I stay away from the trial and error method. But what do I know, that was a highly calculated situation for murph. ;)

Pelorus

Pelorus

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit
Today was second time this year (the big leagues now, lol) I got to take life easy having the services of a crane dismantle a tree. The crane op / owner (Monty) is a really good guy, and his picks were very smooth. Which was good for my shaky mental equilibrium.
TV antenna got swallowed up and became one with the tree. - is visible in one of the pics below.
The pine was beside the septic bed - a tad squishy lately cause of the recent monsoon season.

View attachment 257560
View attachment 257563
View attachment 257565
View attachment 257567

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Today was second time this year (the big leagues now, lol) I got to take life easy having the services of a crane dismantle a tree. The crane op / owner (Monty) is a really good guy, and his picks were very smooth. Which was good for my shaky mental equilibrium.
TV antenna got swallowed up and became one with the tree. - is visible in one of the pics below.
The pine was beside the septic bed - a tad squishy lately cause of the recent monsoon season.

View attachment 257560
View attachment 257563
View attachment 257565
View attachment 257567
Lol last picture is priceless I see hank hill and boomhower lol :cheers:

Pelorus

Pelorus

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit
Hank & his pals stayed back a decent distance and they all vanished by the time the tree was down.
The front wheels of the crane just murdered that little strip of lawn between the two driveways. Fixing the moonscape gave the HO something to do and kept him occupied for about two hours.

Latest posts