whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much rested the whole day today after only getting and hour and a half sleep on Tuesday and then taking a road trip for 14 hours yesterday. (My buddy Mike drove, but I couldn't sleep)

We drove down into southern PA after going through Buffalo to pick up a used SK650 for me and a few attachments for Mike. When we finally got to our destination and after inspecting the mini skid steer, I found it to be in a more "used" condition than my liking. The incredibly black engine oil, half full hydraulic tank and completely missing bushing on the curl ram made me think that the machine had not been "completely gone over and all fluids had been changed".

The sales guy was busy and his father came to tell us that he would be over soon. After a brief talk about about the machine, I informed him that I had decided that I would pass on the machine but was still interested in a new set of forks. He drove the machine around the back of the shop. Shortly after the guy came out and told me that I pissed off his father he wasn't even going to sell me the forks. That's the way we do business down here, he said.

Then he told Mike that he would still sell the $4,000 worth of attachments that Mike had ordered, but if he didn't want them, then that would be alright, he'd just put them back into stock. "Thats how he did business down here." Back at the truck, I quietly told Mike not to make any decisions on my account, but Mike said he wasn't going to give any business to someone who was that rude to a friend of his. When Mike told him that he decided to not take the attachments, he said that was fine, you can turn your truck around the end of the lane.

Then as he's walking back to his shop he yells "I hope you don't run into any trouble leaving the county, I've got lots of friends here" and then "Good luck getting across the border with all that cash you brought down"

Glad my buddy has my back and we didn't give this guy a cent.

Nice scenery in PA. Everybody else I talked to during our brief trip down there was nice and courteous.

Damn, that really sucks!

Met up with a landscaper friend who was doing a job for one of my clients this morning. After having lunch I sent him over to another client's house to talk about some grading and planting work. He calls me after his meeting... she wants another 5 trees out... ok. Gotta go look at a job for him either tomorrow or Monday. Talked with my new log truck company... worked out some bugs over there. Visited the saw shop to order some parts for my 044. Got paid by a customer. Beside that... not a whole lot.

I pretty much rested the whole day today after only getting and hour and a half sleep on Tuesday and then taking a road trip for 14 hours yesterday. (My buddy Mike drove, but I couldn't sleep)

We drove down into southern PA after going through Buffalo to pick up a used SK650 for me and a few attachments for Mike. When we finally got to our destination and after inspecting the mini skid steer, I found it to be in a more "used" condition than my liking. The incredibly black engine oil, half full hydraulic tank and completely missing bushing on the curl ram made me think that the machine had not been "completely gone over and all fluids had been changed".

The sales guy was busy and his father came to tell us that he would be over soon. After a brief talk about about the machine, I informed him that I had decided that I would pass on the machine but was still interested in a new set of forks. He drove the machine around the back of the shop. Shortly after the guy came out and told me that I pissed off his father he wasn't even going to sell me the forks. That's the way we do business down here, he said.

Then he told Mike that he would still sell the $4,000 worth of attachments that Mike had ordered, but if he didn't want them, then that would be alright, he'd just put them back into stock. "Thats how he did business down here." Back at the truck, I quietly told Mike not to make any decisions on my account, but Mike said he wasn't going to give any business to someone who was that rude to a friend of his. When Mike told him that he decided to not take the attachments, he said that was fine, you can turn your truck around the end of the lane.

Then as he's walking back to his shop he yells "I hope you don't run into any trouble leaving the county, I've got lots of friends here" and then "Good luck getting across the border with all that cash you brought down"

Nice scenery in PA. Everybody else I talked to during our brief trip down there was nice and courteous.

Man that sucks Chuck! Sorry you had to go through that! i rolled the dice last year going down but my grinder was in better shape then the guy described. So did you load up the truck with beer on the way back?

First Week with the 110 Ton crane | Facebook

Finally having some fun with the new toy. 200’ of boom really turns some heads. Got more then a few funny looks from people as they drove by our sites today. Tomorrow will be the first job with all the counterweights

You work for a company that has some really nice "toys".:msp_thumbup:

Where's the I'm jealous emoticon?:)

Sorry to hear your trip had a lousy result, Chuck.
I've thoroughly enjoyed many visits to PA, but never been through Saxton.

Ditch Witch mini skid steer Here is ditchwitch, I havent shopped for them so I dont know if its a good price or not.

Thanks for the link. That price is around what they are going for.

The one I went to look at was considerably cheaper ($8,500) and considerably rougher. I figured with the reduced price it was worth a look and additionally my buddy was going to buy some attachments anyways.

Finally having some fun with the new toy. 200’ of boom really turns some heads. Got more then a few funny looks from people as they drove by our sites today. Tomorrow will be the first job with all the counterweights

That's probably enough about your crane. You are kinda running that deal into the ground.

Sorry to hear your trip had a lousy result, Chuck.
I've thoroughly enjoyed many visits to PA, but never been through Saxton.

Thanks Dave.

It doesn't surpise me that you never been through it. It is a small town (pop. around 800, if I remember right) a little off any main paths.

Since we weren't on the interstate much, we ended up travelling through quite a few small towns. I noticed lot of coat rack pruning on quite a few trees.

Other than the ugliness of a few poorly pruned trees, like i posted earlier, its a beautiful countryside with its deciduous covered rolling hills (I think they call them mountains) and farmland valleys. Even with the dreary end of winter season it looked beautiful. Must look amazing in the summer with leaves on all the trees. probably even better in the fall with all the colours.

Last edited:

Me being the A-hole I am, would have handled that situation in a completely different way. Wow, when that guy leveraged the threat he did on you to me that probably would have turned out a totally different way...

You should post here what shop it was specifically in order to save us all some heartache, (and possible jail time)....

Thanks for the link. That price is around what they are going for.

The one I went to look at was considerably cheaper ($8,500) and considerably rougher. I figured with the reduced price it was worth a look and additionally my buddy was going to buy some attachments anyways.

i like your General Bradley quote btw... I was a dismount in an M2A2 BFV when I was in the service.

I am now turning to the darkside and contemplating moving to a stand behind mini for my biz. I am ignorant about them at this point, but if you see any smokin deals in the Boston area, let me know.

Went to look at this dead tree for removal. Glad she pointed out which tree it was, I couldn't tell. She said they dont go outside much. Lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's a nice machine I could of used that in north carolina back in 1997 i worked for a company that had a contract to remove 10.000 beetle infested pine tree's could of hung 90% of them

Me being the A-hole I am, would have handled that situation in a completely different way. Wow, when that guy leveraged the threat he did on you to me that probably would have turned out a totally different way...

You should post here what shop it was specifically in order to save us all some heartache, (and possible jail time)....

I'm usually pretty easy to deal with. Caught me off guard. Maybe cause I only had an hours rest the night before. Had a very technical body recovery in a trench that listed over 14 hours the day/night before we went down.

Don't want to upset the mods. But if you're dealing with an equipment dealer (used stuff, but new attachment for sale) out of Saxton PA, that's him.

It's water under the bridge to me now. I've moved on. No sense worrying about the small stuff.

I'm usually pretty easy to deal with. Caught me off guard. Maybe cause I only had an hours rest the night before. Had a very technical body recovery in a trench that listed over 14 hours the day/night before we went down.

Don't want to upset the mods. But if you're dealing with an equipment dealer (used stuff, but new attachment for sale) out of Saxton PA, that's him.

It's water under the bridge to me now. I've moved on. No sense worrying about the small stuff.

Well, I guess if I had spent the night prior digging a dead guy out of a trench, I probably would have been a bit more docile as well...

Latest posts

Back