whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my chipper is down again this week, so I have been running a loaner machine in the meantime. 150XP what a piece.

Today I helped a friend with a job for his friend's kid. The three of us went there this morning for what was supposed to be a single white pine, and a sugar maple... the threee of us were supposed to have been in and out in a short day. We get there and right off the bat there's a bunch of scrub brush being added on. Then there was a crappy spruce that we took down in order to be able to bomb the maple. After that they added on a ~60' honey locust over the house, deck and bushes. Never got to the white pine... and wound up leaving around 5:15 this evening after hauling out 1.5 loads of chips. Good thing I left with money in my pocket.

Picked up the mini skid from the shop. Thomas 25g with a 25hp Kohler. It didn't have spark on starting, only on the run position. Ended up being a couple of diaodes. Starts and runs great now.
Probably going to keep it for this season, unless I come across a good used Vermeer.:msp_smile:

Hey Treepig, love your Avatar.

Think I had a dream like that once :laugh:

thanks I was thinking about updating... what do you think
287318d1364522729-smile11-jpg
View attachment 287318

Yesterday got into a nest of flying squirrels, no young yet, they all made it. During the day they are half asleep and have no fear of man. Today we waged war on our beaver colony. Over the mild winter they have built or reclaimed a dam over 200 feet long and as spring is coming we will be flooded out of our landing. They have almost doubled their hut, so today we spent digging in their dam. Got the water running real well but bet in morning we will have to do all over again. It takes about 2 weeks then they will go back up to their nice pond up creek and hopefully leave us alone, yah right. It seems a beaver is never happy with his home even when he has lots of nice willow to eat and lots of room for a feed bay. Can't tell them apart or we could name them. You know how a beaver gets when you call him by the wrong name. :bang:

Thomas 250G

Picked up the mini skid from the shop. Thomas 25g with a 25hp Kohler. It didn't have spark on starting, only on the run position. Ended up being a couple of diaodes. Starts and runs great now.
Probably going to keep it for this season, unless I come across a good used Vermeer.:msp_smile:

I picked one up last April. It's a little bit too light for my liking, but it sure beats a broken back from all the big rounds we move sometimes. The track is a little aggressive on the grass if you're not careful. :msp_thumbup:

Hell yeah! (But it was a long time ago)
If you REALLY want to shake your head, just take a wander over to the rigging forum in the buzz, where an "arborist" is wondering how to lower a 40' top, cause his bucket truck only goes up 42 feet. Sounds like he actually tried it, and it didn't turn out good. Photos of some of you guys might even be featured on his website. Seriously.

Not with booms not designed for any kind of lifting.

Just think that thing might hit the used market one day. I've seen other guys lifting more weight than that. Company around here loads there dump truck with there bucket. I'm talking 4-500 pounders no one is in the bucket when they do it guy runs it from the center turret. They rigged up a hook off the boom with like a 6ft strap. If I get a chance to catch them ill try and get a picture, they do it basically on every removal. Truck looks like its ready for the bone yard already I wouldn't go up in it if they didn't load wood with it.

Found these pics on a competitors website. Would any of you guys ever do this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

We have a highranger thats rated for 700 pounds we dont go out of our way to pick with it but every now and then we will use it to grab stuff nothing big though couple hundred pounds like a job we did had a small mullbery over a garage it was tangled in all kinds of other stuff around it and none of it would ever made it to the ground so we cut small pieces and lifted it out of the canopy with the bucket... but combined weight was still under capacity. we dont do this with our other buckets that are only good for 300 and 350. We def never took a piece as big as in the pic or even close...

I picked one up last April. It's a little bit too light for my liking, but it sure beats a broken back from all the big rounds we move sometimes. The track is a little aggressive on the grass if you're not careful. :msp_thumbup:

Ya its a little light.... and slow...... but like you said, easier on the back than nothing.

Mine is the wheeled version. Actually it's not too bad on the turf.

My buddy just bought a new Vermeer that I can use if I really need more power or the tracks for traction. Until then, I'll keep looking. I can't justify the price on a new one just yet.

It can really suck being broke and having to deal with big hazzard trees. I don't exactly know what this guy is going to " chance" but I wish him luck. " Can we bury the wood with topsoil"... well I guess anything is possible.

I will take payments from certain cutomers. I always feel them out real good and if I sense anything strange I dont even mention it. Its always only for 2-3 months.

Ya, you gotta have some sympathy for those who can't afford it. I gave them a pretty good price, but did not want to end up footing the bill either.

Like treeman75, I have on occassion taken payments. I've gone with my gut and have not been burnt.... yet. With this guy, something just didn't sit right.

His "chance" I believe is with the city. Maybe he's hoping they won't force the removal. (They will). Maybe he's hoping that the city will be cheaper (They won't). I've talked to a city forestry employee and he told me that they will contract it out (Davey or one of their other contractors). They will also bring in a couple of "paid duty" police if need be (if there are "issues") and also traffic control. All of the cost will be forwarded onto the homeowner. If it's not paid, it will go onto their tax bill and interest charged annually until payment is made. Unfortunately his "chance" will cost him alot more than he knows.

But if you don't have the money, you don't have it. You gotta feel a little bad for that.

We have a highranger thats rated for 700 pounds we dont go out of our way to pick with it but every now and then we will use it to grab stuff nothing big though couple hundred pounds like a job we did had a small mullbery over a garage it was tangled in all kinds of other stuff around it and none of it would ever made it to the ground so we cut small pieces and lifted it out of the canopy with the bucket... but combined weight was still under capacity. we dont do this with our other buckets that are only good for 300 and 350. We def never took a piece as big as in the pic or even close...

Haha back in the eighties they would freak on the carp I loaded with big o truck but then why would they not have something to save backs at a multibillion dollar company :)

My hiranger has a loading eye in lower boom I have loaded 600 to 800 pounds onto a trailer before getting my grapple. How much is a back to replace is the real question! I don't sweat it really most of them come with material handlers I won't rig stuff on mine from upper boom because mine is already prehistoric but lower boom 5 to 800 lbs and static yes I will if it saves me a trip!

Last edited:
Didn't booms used to get tested (for deflection?) by having a heavy weight suspended from them?

Back