whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its been a long week. We did do some really cool jobs with the new crane.
View attachment 290325
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582710050446.1073741833.277283385445&type=1

placed a frightening order with liehberr on Friday, just normal PM stuff, set of filters and 10 gal of their special syn 37 weight hyd oil and 12 tubes of their grease for the auto greaser... we knew what we were buying from the start but even ready for it, $4000 for that order still hits you funny.

Saturday we were working on a great job, flying through it, would have been done by 130ish, until all the rotation bolts broke on the rotation motor on the chipper. its happened to all of them, we change them out with grade 9s and never have a problem again, woodsmen is aware of the issue and promised us they changed the design and it wouldnt happen again but they are too ####ing cheap to use 4 grade 9 bolts instead of 8s. shouldn't have been an issue except instead of using a nut and a bolt like they have in the past they threaded the holes in the motor mount it self so every bolt needs to be extracted... :angry: should have gone in today and fixed it but didn't have it in me
View attachment 290332
oh well handfed chipper for one of the crane crews Monday. and a fun night of extracting hardened bolts Monday night

Ok so no doubt that is a sweet crane but I really don't get it on that second job. Park a 60,000lb (guessing) crane in someone's front yard, right next to the foundation, just so you don't have to drop a tree in the woods?

In all seriousness I think you could have spent your money more wisely. My crew and I have been thinking about it and we have decided that the best way to go is to have a helicopter capable of lifting a significant load and also a tub grinder on site. You can just hoist the whole tree right into the grinder then charge the customer extra to spread the mulch in their planting beds. It's perfect..... just gotta work out the funding...... and get my helicopter license

Last edited:
Ok so no doubt that is a sweet crane but I really don't get it on that second job. Park a 60,000lb (guessing) crane in someone's front yard so you don't have to drop a tree in the woods?

In all seriousness I think you could have spent your money more wisely. My crew and I have been thinking about it and we have decided that the best way to go is to have a helicopter capable of lifting a significant load and also a tub grinder on site. You can just hoist the whole tree right into the grinder then charge the customer extra to spread the mulch in their planting beds. It's perfect..... just gotta work out the funding.

that idea much older lol I thought of it years ago. Truth is funding is just one problem because you will need authority flight plans etc I can only imagine the red tape involved!

Ok so no doubt that is a sweet crane but I really don't get it on that second job. Park a 60,000lb (guessing) crane in someone's front yard, right next to the foundation, just so you don't have to drop a tree in the woods?

In all seriousness I think you could have spent your money more wisely. My crew and I have been thinking about it and we have decided that the best way to go is to have a helicopter capable of lifting a significant load and also a tub grinder on site. You can just hoist the whole tree right into the grinder then charge the customer extra to spread the mulch in their planting beds. It's perfect..... just gotta work out the funding...... and get my helicopter license

And you obviously don't know how much those kind of cranes weigh..:msp_confused::msp_confused:

Steffen Truck Inventory

Here is a nice rearmount that is priced right. Its the same place I just bought my truck, they are easy to work with. If it was in the middle of the season I think I would buy it.

WOAH!!! At Tristate forestry equipment, that thing would be 50K!!

Technically that is a center mount, but it has good reach nonetheless, and is certainly priced right! Too bad it's CDL, but not the end of the world.

Besides. Dont you already have abucket truck??

Last edited:

Funny u say that that... I've been looking for a good local Chinook dealer for a while now;)

There was a lot more to that job that jobthen that little tree. It could have easily been murphed. It was a good opportunity to try out both jibs on a small tree before we use them on something more challenging

Funny u say that that... I've been looking for a good local Chinook dealer for a while now;)

There was a lot more to that job that jobthen that little tree. It could have easily been murphed. It was a good opportunity to try out both jibs on a small tree before we use them on something more challenging

Might as well get it out there for what you guys paid!! Cant believe that 4K order though. NO THANK YOU!!!

LOL, for the record. how much counterweight did you buy with that bad boy? Im assuming youre just a teency bit heavier than 60K :)

Might as well get it out there for what you guys paid!! Cant believe that 4K order though. NO THANK YOU!!!

LOL, for the record. how much counterweight did you buy with that bad boy? Im assuming youre just a teency bit heavier than 60K :)

46,300 lbs of counterweight fully loaded

Where are you out of? What's your company name ?
We can't be that far from each other

46,300 lbs of counterweight fully loaded

Where are you out of? What's your company name ?
We can't be that far from each other

We are close! You guys even did a small tree on third street in Cambridge last year, right in my back yard practically. It's a long story, but I am just now getting back on my feet after an auto accident I was in two years ago. I am very small potatoes. Bucket, chipper, dump and bobcat.

Sad day in Boston, wtf is wrong with people huh? Nothing is safe to do anymore!

Back