whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have wondered where the word gin or gin point comes from

I think it comes from the early days of machinery, when any old machine might be called a gin.

gin 2 (j
ibreve.gif
n)n.1. Any of several machines or devices, especially:a. A machine for hoisting or moving heavy objects.​

Obviously, the gin point would be where you attached to the gin.

I'm glad you asked that question, I always kinda wondered myself. It turns out to have been pretty easy to find an answer.

Thats what I call rigging points or crotches to rig from. I know some of the other tree guys use the term also. I first heard it used from an old tree guy about twenty years ago.

Thank god it's Friday! That's all I have to say about that. Time for a few keystone lights, I like to keep it classy.

Worked in the rain this morning. Made some modifications to my ryans grapple. I welded on a piece of infeed teeth off of a chipper to each of the grapple arms. I get a much better grip now on larger logs. Rotated the top guard down so I can fit the grapple in my chip box on my bucket truck when I load the woos up at jobs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Went and looked at a stumo grinding job for another tree guy. This is the stumps he left. Cuts are wacked.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385168097525.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385168097525.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385168113316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385168113316.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 30
1. I hate stump grinding. Most boring thing ever

2. What drugs was this man on? Whatever made him think those are good cuts must be some good ****

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

2. What drugs was this man on? Whatever made him think those are good cuts must be some good ****

You would like grinding with my beast. There is 4 stumps. Shoukd only take me a hour and half for all four of them.

You would like grinding with my beast. There is 4 stumps. Shoukd only take me a hour and half for all four of them.

What the heck do you own man? We got a Vermeer but I forget the model... I think it's like a twelve inch wheel. But the two would be an hour or more with the teeth in the condition they're in right now.
An 18-20 inch mahogany takes about 40 minutes if I go about four inches under.

What the heck do you own man? We got a Vermeer but I forget the model... I think it's like a twelve inch wheel. But the two would be an hour or more with the teeth in the condition they're in right now.

Sharp teeth are the key.

Said by the man who never had to install a 90 tree hedge or fertilize a hedge 4 blocks long.

The guy probably hit a rock making his stump cut and said 'screw it, let the stumper deal with it'.

You might consider speed lines in that situation. They don't take long to put on, and if you are smart about it, they can speed you up a lot.

Tie your rope at the base of a long branch to be removed. Attach a loopie & carabiner to each log piece that you would snap cut and toss, working your way to the far end of the branch. Start cutting like a madman, the whole branch is rigged and controlled. Cut below each loopie, the next one down the line is holding the rope as a gin-point. Since each branch/log is being held, you only need to make a back cut on the side the rope is on, then rip through the back cut until it falls or can be pushed off.

The groundies just need to hold on to the far end of the rope, perhaps anchoring it to the truck bed where the logs will be delivered. If you are running a long ways horizontally, they will need to have a friction control device to hold the end of the rope...

speedline.gif
Obviously, this gif does not show all the details, but you should be able to get the drift of how it works.

I have a carlton sp 8018 trx. I ground 28 stumps, avg 30" diameter, in 3.5 hours a month or so ago. That was with dull teeth to.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385196934183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385196934183.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 17
Pruned a tree for a very outspoken lesbian mailman. Her house is rainbow colored with rainbow curtains. Signs all over the doors about solicitors. Figured that her neighbors loved this as it was in a nice older hood. Turns out, they all love her. When I first seen the house when I turned the corner for the bid, a about chat myself, surly code enforcement would be on this. Never seen a house so "colorful". Think I am going to cammo mine. Wonder if that will fly.

Back