whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It cracked at the edge of the weld. If I can get it apart and it's still intack I am gonna try to weld it, if not Monday I will be ordering a new one. Worst part is most times you break the dam manifold bolts off getting them out. Can't wait. Yay

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

When welding over a previous crack, it usually works best if you drill out the terminal end of the crack. Otherwise it just keeps growing. Don't forget to pre-heat if you are working cracks that refuse to close. You get better penetration and less stress on the final weld.

I was thinking that. Most likely I will be getting a new one. I might as well replace the muffler while I am at it cause it's getting old also.

I haven't bought a new manifold for a long time. I routinely weld v-8 manifolds back together when they are broken in half. I even take mild steel and weld patches onto the areas where a chunk is missing.

It is usually a flawed plan, however, to attempt welding them together while mounted on the engine. If broken into pieces, you need to tack the parts while bolted down, then finish the job after removed and clear from the engine block.

Little manifolds on small engines are usually made with mild steel, and should be easy to weld up. Edit: now that I think about it, most of the mild steel manifolds that crack are caused by support bolts elsewhere on the muffler that have not been correctly supporting the manifold. Attempting to fix without restoring the proper support usually fails after a lot of vibration.

Last edited:
Got the manifold off the dingo engine this morning. Suprisingly I didn't break the manifold bolts. The gaskets were rotted out and leaking and I found the muffler has some holes in it so there is no reason to try and weld the manifold back together. Just gonna replace the muffler and manifold. It looks like sticks can get up in under the muffler guard from the bottom which causes the huge hole in the muffler.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389549540005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389549540005.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389549558968.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389549558968.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 12
Just bought my first house! Trying to get things situated and set up. Little water in the basement last night from the rain and plus temps. Nice to have my own space! Two very large silver maples on the east side of property line, which i plan to make tree forts in for my little girl (who am i kidding, for me lol), a knarly leaning Manitoba maple at the back and several black spruce lining the west property line.
ary7uqem.jpg

Oh and some small white pines, and a very small blue spruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Just bought my first house! Trying to get things situated and set up. Little water in the basement last night from the rain and plus temps. Nice to have my own space! Two very large silver maples on the east side of property line, which i plan to make tree forts in for my little girl (who am i kidding, for me lol), a knarly leaning Manitoba maple at the back and several black spruce lining the west property line.
ary7uqem.jpg

Oh and some small white pines, and a very small blue spruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Got the manifold off the dingo engine this morning. Suprisingly I didn't break the manifold bolts. The gaskets were rotted out and leaking and I found the muffler has some holes in it so there is no reason to try and weld the manifold back together. Just gonna replace the muffler and manifold. It looks like sticks can get up in under the muffler guard from the bottom which causes the huge hole in the muffler.

Whst is it a 25 hp vtwin the whole setup is under 200.00 bucks just replace it all I made the one for my machine outta bastard parts I bought at the mower shop

It's like $250 for parts direct from toro. Gonna order them from e&s equipment tomorrow. Should be here by Wednesday.

I have the 25 hp on the mini and there is no replacement parts from ramrod it's all kohler **** and kohler didn't even know ramrod made a model machine with that engine , so to escape the vortex of stupidity I felt they were trapping me in , I just grabbed what it thought would work and built one !

I meet the guy from e&s equipment at the TCIA show in Baltimore the other year. Every time I need something they know what it is and get it right out to me. Great guys. He even answered the phone yesturday when I called even though he wasn't open.

I called cat the other day for a block heater inquiry and I felt more dumb after the call ! I mean it's pretty bad when I know more of the answers to my questions then the parts guy . Or "techs" your transferred too !

My cat loader came with a block heater. The cord is zip tied the whole way in the back of the engine by the cab. If you lift up the radiator you can see it easier.

I bought a magnetic block heater from Napa the other day for my equipment that doesn't have a block heater. It was only $60.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389550843371.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389550843371.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389550859211.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389550859211.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 21
Kinda watching the golden globe awards and I think I seen Jeff in the background trying to get a pic of Ron Howard!

Latest posts

Back