whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me tell you guys somethin bout those flimsy spring latches on your hooks. They ain't designed or rated to support the whole weight of that headache ball. Whereas the Shur-Loc's gate latch is.

Why's that important?

Cuz in the tree biz the CO's gonna be droppin that ball n rigging through dense canopies. All it takes is for that rigging to tangle up in a tight crotch and boom, the whole weight of that ball can be applied upward against the latch, bending and breaking it outward, sending that rigging down onto the climber below.

I've seen it happen more than once.

That can't happen with the Shur-Loc positive locking hook.

In this biz if it can happen it will happen eventually.

Can you bounce the entire weight of your crane ball off your current hook latch mechanisms?

jomoco

Let me tell you guys somethin bout those flimsy spring latches on your hooks. They ain't designed or rated to support the whole weight of that headache ball. Whereas the Shur-Loc's gate latch is.

Why's that important?

Cuz in the tree biz the CO's gonna be droppin that ball n rigging through dense canopies. All it takes is for that rigging to tangle up in a tight crotch and boom, the whole weight of that ball can be applied upward against the latch, bending and breaking it outward, sending that rigging down onto the climber below.

I've seen it happen more than once.

That can't happen with the Shur-Loc positive locking hook.

In this biz if it can happen it will happen eventually.

Can you bounce the entire weight of your crane ball off your current hook latch mechanisms?

jomoco
So I guess you talked someone into hooking you up with a set and promised to sell the living **** outta those things . Never seen rigging fall unless the latch was either taped open or bent and Hal broken ... Those surlocks ain't nothin new we had a set real similar to them in the early 2000's then we realized they made real good wheel chocks

So I guess you talked someone into hooking you up with a set and promised to sell the living **** outta those things . Never seen rigging fall unless the latch was either taped open or bent and Hal broken ... Those surlocks ain't nothin new we had a set real similar to them in the early 2000's then we realized they made real good wheel chocks

I can't open the link to see what Jomoco is talking about however if he is referring to the latch on the hook well then, yeah, it would be good to have one that locked with a pin. Its actually a very good point and should be mandatory.

$300 a day? Find your own place to stay (t town, baby), you got yourself a deal. Start Tuesday??:)

Three days minimum.

I don't think you understand, let me explain: You pay me to stay away. Trust me, a good investment. Now, whars mah moaney

Never mind. I think I've gotten this figured out in house (while you were playing with your bath soaps in the tub. Lol. Thanks for the thought though (shudder/cringe)!!;):)

Yeah dude, why in the hell would you ( or anyone) want me around? Have you not been paying attention?

Just don't forget to send me my money.

I can't open the link to see what Jomoco is talking about however if he is referring to the latch on the hook well then, yeah, it would be good to have one that locked with a pin. Its actually a very good point and should be mandatory.
the climber is not to be hoisted by hook but by a connection point above the ball via a solid connection point (i.e.-a shackle or master ring) per ansi z133. lanyard to be connected to hook as a secondary connection. the safety latch is considered an anti fouling device an not a positive connection.

Latest posts

Back