whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f0114bf3ed083d68bd7db716e4914242.jpg

Finally done. Three nights of torching, welding, breaking, red threadlocking and yelling. Got it done with new studs, blades, anvil, and nuts. We find out tomorrow if I screwed up.

Fired that kid, got an experience guy starting Monday. He’s jumping ship from another company that is “going to get someone killed” as he put it.

One of my guys got a union job cleaning bedpans for a hospital at 22/hr plus full benefits. He refused to cdl up so I couldn’t match it. I still have his brother working for me so I’m still lucky there.

I just can’t train green people anymore. I don’t want to be responsible for someone getting hurt because they’re inexperience and stupid.

One of my guys got a union job cleaning bedpans for a hospital at 22/hr plus full benefits. He refused to cdl up so I couldn’t match it. I still have his brother working for me so I’m still lucky there.

I just can’t train green people anymore. I don’t want to be responsible for someone getting hurt because they’re inexperience and stupid.

I didn’t realize they have a specific position dedicated to bedpan duty. Sounds rough.

On the other hand there are a lot of hot nurses working at those places, so that would be a nice change from tree guys, no doubt.

Another interesting little setup. I’m down there removing an 80 - 90’ stone dead ash over a halfway decent medium sized maple. Got it topped out (after cutting our way down to it) today, hoping to be able to finish and try pulling out Monday. At least I’ve always got my old bucket with its winches if it comes to it. Good thing I had the foresight to have them add tow hooks to the front of the new truck, just for this situation (if need be). Fun stuff.
D2069FD0-A1D5-4287-8141-AC030A65E032.jpeg

Another interesting little setup. I’m down there removing an 80 - 90’ stone dead ash over a halfway decent medium sized maple. Got it topped out (after cutting our way down to it) today, hoping to be able to finish and try pulling out Monday. At least I’ve always got my old bucket with its winches if it comes to it. Good thing I had the foresight to have them add tow hooks to the front of the new truck, just for this situation (if need be). Fun stuff.
View attachment 740532

My brother drove concrete trucks for 13 years and told me if you ever think you might need to get pulled out to back in so you’ll be pulled out going forward. He said the rear ends don’t like being pulling in reverse.

I’m so goddam sick of people in this industry. There’s been fatalities and major accidents recently from other companies who push their crews to the red zone.
Had a worker from one of those companies call me for a job since “someone is going to get killed again and I don’t want it to be me”. Guy never shows and strings me along. I resolved to just buy a ditch witch and deal with one good worker for now.
580acf33dd02ccbcab4dc8cd2bb4e16f.jpg

I’m so goddam sick of people in this industry. There’s been fatalities and major accidents recently from other companies who push their crews to the red zone.
Had a worker from one of those companies call me for a job since “someone is going to get killed again and I don’t want it to be me”. Guy never shows and strings me along. I resolved to just buy a ditch witch and deal with one good worker for now.
580acf33dd02ccbcab4dc8cd2bb4e16f.jpg

There’s always grabbing a green guy and training him yourself!!!:laugh:

Got a new Weber grill for fathers day, put it together.

Be careful with hiring relatives. I retired a few years back, and my wife wanted my physics major son to see what it was like in the family business. My cousin was still in the business and said he could not hire him. OSHA regs say you have to be 18 to do tree work. The owner of the company's kids can start at 14-or 16, I forget which. But, they will burn you a new one if they catch someone under 18 on the job. I'm going to do a search to see if I'm correct on this issue.

In a quick check of child labor laws, anyone under 18 is not allowed to operate any power driven equipment, chainsaws were specifically named, nor work in any Forestry Service business. Yep, be careful.

Back