whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most contract climbers are addicts. There’s usually a reason why they can’t hold down a steady job.

Man you got that right...at least around here they are. Sometimes I get in such a bind there's a couple of them I hire occasionally. I don't like to though. One of them you just want to knock the mouthy little burned out mother****er in the head every time you look at him but he gets the job done somehow. The other one is a Mexican guy that is on some ****. He's another with a smartass mouth. When I hire either one of them I always take my pistol out of the truck for obvious reasons. I'm a little high tempered.

Yeah, the thought of having a guy that’s going around helping my competition on my job site just always seemed kind of backasswards to me. That’s just me though. I don’t play well with others all that much. Definitely not doing the one big happy arborist family bit. What’s that saying “sorry, not sorry”. I like that one.

Yeah, the thought of having a guy that’s going around helping my competition on my job site just always seemed kind of backasswards to me. That’s just me though. I don’t play well with others all that much. Definitely not doing the one big happy arborist family bit. What’s that saying “sorry, not sorry”. I like that one.
That's because it is backasswards. That's why I hate to do it and keep it at a bare minimum. This year has been tough...lots of good jobs came in and the greed factor kept getting me. We coudn't handle all of it with our permanent in house staff so I let those two knuckleheads I mentioned contract climb some. Despised every minute of it but it made money.

That's because it is backasswards. That's why I hate to do it and keep it at a bare minimum. This year has been tough...lots of good jobs came in and the greed factor kept getting me. We coudn't handle all of it with our permanent in house staff so I let those two knuckleheads I mentioned contract climb some. Despised every minute of it but it made money.
Oh, I understand entirely, my friend! I would’ve probably done the same, certainly have in 25 years (here and there). I mostly used one of my friends that is as good as they come and a sober badass too, but I hear you.

You might wanna look into investing in a lift. I know you’re old school and shunning them, but so was I until I bought mine. My brand new 75’ terex sits 95% of the time. Not really ideal for interior pruning, but excellent for tip reduction and blows a dope fiend away on backyard takedowns.
And as a friend, I can tell you you wouldn’t be sorry for the investment. Just get the right one.

Well got the job done with no real issues and then he added on another removal and 2 trim jobs next door at neighbors.
Told him I'm spiking one the trim jobs since it would of been a nightmare to set a line to climb up. Jungle like and to do it his way I needed to set a rigging line about 60' that could only be spiked to.
He's a cheapskate for sure but I scheduled another 3 trees with him. The more practice the better the chance the company i work for will use me rather then there contract climber. But he's a fast/safe and great rigger.
We used all my rigging gear and ropes which I thought would be worth a few extra bucks since everything needs sap removal...
I never seen a white pine so sappy, running bowline would barely tighten up. Unfortunately and fortunately I cut my rope after a refuel which got me a clean section. That was my only f up, cutting my rope 8' shorter while chunking down spar.
Thanks for the advice guys. I did stick to my speed and ran as many fliplines/ropes as I felt necessary/comfortable. They showed up 30 mins late so that helped me stick to my style. I had my line and rigging before they got there. And oh yea his time frames are way off for just about any climber.
I'm clean, sober, and on time with all the gear necessary to take down almost any tree.
I didn't get a pic of first pine but did get a pic of neighbors pine removal And yea the 1st original tree basically had 4 tops.

Attachments

• 20200927_095758.jpg
    20200927_095758.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200927_093110.jpg
    20200927_093110.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
Well got the job done with no real issues and then he added on another removal and 2 trim jobs next door at neighbors.
Told him I'm spiking one the trim jobs since it would of been a nightmare to set a line to climb up. Jungle like and to do it his way I needed to set a rigging line about 60' that could only be spiked to.
He's a cheapskate for sure but I scheduled another 3 trees with him. The more practice the better the chance the company i work for will use me rather then there contract climber. But he's a fast/safe and great rigger.
We used all my rigging gear and ropes which I thought would be worth a few extra bucks since everything needs sap removal...
I never seen a white pine so sappy, running bowline would barely tighten up. Unfortunately and fortunately I cut my rope after a refuel which got me a clean section. That was my only f up, cutting my rope 8' shorter while chunking down spar.
Thanks for the advice guys. I did stick to my speed and ran as many fliplines/ropes as I felt necessary/comfortable. They showed up 30 mins late so that helped me stick to my style. I had my line and rigging before they got there. And oh yea his time frames are way off for just about any climber.
I'm clean, sober, and on time with all the gear necessary to take down almost any tree.
I didn't get a pic of first pine but did get a pic of neighbors pine removal And yea the 1st original tree basically had 4 tops.

My comment wasn’t directed towards you. It’s just every climber I’ve dealt with on an ad hoc basis is on the needle or the pipe. It’s hard to make a living jumping from job to job unless you have another job too.

The MDS rescued a parrot from a tree with the bucket yesterday after work. The thought of somebody’s pet freezing in a tree suckered me into it. He was a good boy, though and all went well. Felt pretty good seeing everybody all happy when I brought him down.:cool:

Much better than a cat. That last cat rescue was ugly. Real ugly. No more.

I got called from the Raptor center in Mpls. MN last year and put a baby Great Horned owl back in it's nest. They had me "fix" the nest first. I guess they, the owls, use abandoned nests and this one needed some sides. I would take phone up and take pictures then come down and let them school me on "nest building". Felt pretty cool to have the ability to help some people who had a passion for something but not the ability for this part. I am quick to tell people who compliment something I am doing in the trees that it is not rocket science. But at other times I realize to some people maybe it is ? I love what I do and am thankful for the ability, at the end of the day I know I've earned my keep...

The MDS rescued a parrot from a tree with the bucket yesterday after work. The thought of somebody’s pet freezing in a tree suckered me into it. He was a good boy, though and all went well. Felt pretty good seeing everybody all happy when I brought him down.:cool:

Much better than a cat. That last cat rescue was ugly. Real ugly. No more.
Didn’t another member here rescue a parrot many years ago? Thinking back, I kinda miss “The Dan”

Nice man, Good thing he behaved. They can bite the $hit out of you. My dads friend had a big parrot that bit the owner and he needed stitches. Literally took a beak size chunk out. I've never put a finger in bird cage since that day.
I got nasty half dead vine covered Mullberry to remove this weekend. Crappy job, it's like 35/40' tall but 60-70' wide. No rigging points since the top is barkless and it's over 3 property's/2 sheds. Just like 6 big leads growing straight out horizontally. Either gonna be some fence jumping and throwing logs over fence. Or cutting firewood size logs, put them in lift basket and Swing boom back to customers yard. It's a good 3' dbh but just short and fat.

Bought a CMI rope jack for a job coming up that has some limbs over the house. It’s basically an in-line come a long that you can anchor to a portawrap. Crank the limb up with the rope jack, pull the slack up on the portawrap and then you can remove the rope jack. A cheap man’s GRCS. View attachment 860597
Let is know how it works. I've thought about buying one of those for the times when something gets tangled and you need to pick it back up. I set up a 3:1 or a 6:1 now in theses instances but this looks quicker and easier.

Latest posts

Back