whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need dot numbers for any commercial vehicle (even a one ton) regardless of whether or not you cross state lines. I forget the specifics, but anything over 11k pounds sounds familiar.

There’s a sprinkling of states that exempt you if you don’t cross lines. Rhode Island is one of them.

Ouch.

I hate to be the PPE police. Chainsaw pants are awesome and the more expensive ones are pretty comfortable. Ironically, I'm wearing jeans in my profile pic.

I bought a pair of Cloggers when they first came out and hated them. I’m 6’5” and the they aren’t made for tall people. Wore them for two weeks and the inseam ended up doing a number on my “boys”.

I've had friends warn me about not having DOT numbers on trucks but the rules I've read specifically say that I need to have one to cross state lines. Some guys say that doesn't matter. I'm not sure who is right but I will say two things......it's free to get the number (so it's just a matter of putting on the trucks) but our trucks have been stopped for inspection by the DOT our fair share of times and they've never mentioned it to us.....so that's why I don't bother doing it. I see all kinds of commercial vehicles in my state without DOT numbers.

Cool dogs and lake and boat. Put up some treework next time! We wanna see what you do when not being leisurely! Lol
where did he come from with 13k plus posts and not knowing what he does? And 2010....had to be the first year of ASite. Not MB as he is passed away. Interesting...Inquiring minds want to know...download (1).jpg

View attachment 904343
A few cut and drop jobs today. Easy peasy.... Looking forward to getting my bucket truck finally lettered.
View attachment 904344
I'm going to sound like a putz but what's the deal with DOT numbers? I need to get them for my f350 dump and the 650 bucket. Do they each have the same number for the company or are they different? What's the process? I did this a long time ago for an f550 but have since forgotten.
DOT number rules vary by state (as to whether you need them or not) even though they are issued by the Feds. They are the same number for all the trucks in a company and if you've had them before it will still be the same number. You are required to renew them every two years but they don't give the number to a new company so it will still be your number. Can be done online with the feds.

Day five on this job. One fully freighted grapple truck load out and another in the works. The three hardest trees done plus picked up a huge oak log and an ash trunk the powerline guys left my customers with. Did some de-vining and pruning and ground cutting too. Probably got all next week on this one too. About a half mile from my shop. All sweet takedown tang. Lol.
876F050A-D650-46A1-8E65-4DBA27B9C022.jpeg

You are in ash TD heaven. What do you think your area is at now...50% gone?

What do you mean by gone, already removed? Maybe 50% percent of the roadside cake stuff done, don’t really have any actual clue. Our work runs a lot deeper than street side trees.

There’s a senneboggan and albrect running around town now too, pretty sure that’s making a dent. Lol

There was a running general consensus of the percent left of all ash around Cinci during the bugdemic. We are at around zero percent now with about only remaining are treated trees. I do have 2 giant slammers in a wooded area with neighbor's garage in striking distance coming up this week as rope em and drop em for a nice price. Probably gonna top one which might be cause for a little anxiety. Zero crane or lift access. I been up some knee knockers other tree guys have passed on. Big $. You can sneak up on them pretty quietly on the Wraptor.

We have ton of ash left. I bid 4 today. We'll probably be working on them for the next few years.

I bought some trees today at the arboretum sale. My wife asked me why I am buying them there (for our house) instead of from our wholesale outlets. Those guys paid us a lot of money this year and this sale is their fundraiser so I'm fine with buying a few trees and plants from them.

I bought a couple of dawn redwoods. I was sitting in my yard earlier and thinking about how this guy who is spending a fortune to remodel the house next door has been pissing me off pretty much since he started. He cut down one of my shrubs, has let a bunch of his garbage blow into my yard many times, he doesn't seem to even notice. I just keep throwing his garbage back into his property. He has dug the ground in a way that is eroding my yard and threatening my trees and landscaping. I don't think this is going to end well. Keep pissing me off....I will plant the redwoods right next to your house on my property so you eventually have huge trees that are far enough away that you can't even trim them....but they're there....on the northwest corner of your house. It will cost me about $200 and an hour of my time. Don't piss off tree guys. We have a different playbook.

What do you mean by gone, already removed? Maybe 50% percent of the roadside cake stuff done, don’t really have any actual clue. Our work runs a lot deeper than street side trees.

There’s a senneboggan and albrect running around town now too, pretty sure that’s making a dent. Lol

There’s a larger company around here with a senneboggan but what’s an albrect?

You are in ash TD heaven. What do you think your area is at now...50% gone?
Where I am in southwest CT we’re definitely past the halfway point and after next year I think they’ll be mostly cleaned up. Probably mostly gone after this year. At least the ones next to houses ext... it’ll be interesting to see how the game changes once they are gone. It’s been a tremendous amount of work and companies have gotten geared up especially after the storm last year.
I figure it’s been at least a third of my work load since the end of 2018 and this year it seems like closer to half. It’s going to be tough filling that void if we don’t get any storms. I think a lot of companies are going to find out the hard way. Some will make it but I think there going to be a lot of good used equipment on the market in the next couple of years. IMO

We got hit with a great hurricane back in 08 and mass tree guys came down from Dayton Oh. a depressed city some 50 miles away. They went away for a while and came back with the eab. Made it hard to charge my $150. plus a man hour competing against their hillbilly asses. I had plenty of other work although we did the real hairy ones to the end. Now they been gone for about 2 years with the departure of ashes. Fine by me. I geared up big time as I heard about the coming of EAB at a seminar at Purdue U. before another soul heard about it and they still thought the ash dying was "Ash Yellows".

Latest posts

Back