whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MDS, thinking about that welder you bought. I'm not sure you know the "why's". I mean, I'm sure you can set your voltage, wire speed, gas preasure, turn it on, open the valve and connect the ground. You can probably lay a mean bead in any configuration or any thickness of metal, probably just not sure on the "why's" though right?

Don't sweat it bro, I'll make a youtube video on it, showing you just what I'm doing but not really discussing the "why's". This should get you set right up, right back to where you already were. Then I'll start a long thread on it to get the ball moving, probably ending up in countless attacks, where I spend time dancing around like I have a hot coal in my pants. This should sufficiently explain the welding "why's" to all my fellow welders so the world can turn again. Just sayin......

MDS, thinking about that welder you bought. I'm not sure you know the "why's". I mean, I'm sure you can set your voltage, wire speed, gas preasure, turn it on, open the valve and connect the ground. You can probably lay a mean bead in any configuration or any thickness of metal, probably just not sure on the "why's" though right?

Don't sweat it bro, I'll make a youtube video on it, showing you just what I'm doing but not really discussing the "why's". This should get you set right up, right back to where you already were. Then I'll start a long thread on it to get the ball moving, probably ending up in countless attacks, where I spend time dancing around like I have a hot coal in my pants. This should sufficiently explain the welding "why's" to all my fellow welders so the world can turn again. Just sayin......

lol Though I actually think most tree guys could benefit from a welding video by you, Nails. You might not be as well received on a welders forum though.

View attachment 223213

Nice welder, we have the same one it seems like we end up needing it almost everyday now. We just picked up a plasma cutter 80 amp drag cut up too 3/4" and cut up too 11/2" $2100. Well worth it should have go it years ago. Actually needed it last night first day out of the box.

Think Asinine will ever answer a question about comp?

Thanks.

That plasma cutter sounds sweet. Never really got to use one... but always wanted one!

Really into getting the shop back up to snuff lately. Got my chipper in at the moment heating up the tailgate and mashing it back into shape with a splitting mall. It's actually coming out pretty good. Need the new compressor before I can really get into the project, and it's really pissing me off! I got a brand new snap on crud thug with a couple decal remover wheels, and I can't even do that much. Oh well, do what I can for now. I'm gonna work on straightening out the mangled tailights next probably.

That old man's days are so numbered at this point that it's ####ing hilarious!! :biggrin:

So that bolts onto a bucket? Good idea, save some cash! I paid 3500 for my grapple last fall

Yep, bolts right up, that way it can switch buckets or tractors. He makes like 5 different lengths, this is his 36" unit, which is currently his largest offering. I paid 350. I'll likely get another one once I get a mini or something. Might run two abreast. Fairly straight forward directions.

When I get a unit like your skidsteer I'll likely be looking for something that big and stout. The guy that welded up the mount wants to build buckets now so who knows.

Yep, bolts right up, that way it can switch buckets or tractors. He makes like 5 different lengths, this is his 36" unit, which is currently his largest offering. I paid 350. I'll likely get another one once I get a mini or something. Might run two abreast. Fairly straight forward directions.

When I get a unit like your skidsteer I'll likely be looking for something that big and stout. The guy that welded up the mount wants to build buckets now so who knows.

That thumb looks just like the one that came with my mini. Very handy, my little bucket would be just about useless without it.

Good choice on the Welder MDS. I use Lincolns that size and Miller's that are a bigger, both great machines/brands. If I could have one in my shed that's the size I would get. Pretty little thing.

Thanks man. That's what I was going for, one welder in the shed deal.

I always liked working with metal. I find it almost relaxing. It's nice sometimes just to be doing something cool and not really have to worry about getting myself killed, or anybody getting hacked up, etc.

Thanks man. That's what I was going for, one welder in the shed deal.

I always liked working with metal. I find it almost relaxing. It's nice sometimes just to be doing something cool and not really have to worry about getting myself killed, or anybody getting hacked up, etc.

That's why I do treework, I like the excitement and physical push. People watching going WTF, did you just see that?

Production welding is very boring. Latenights in the shop on a custom project are fun though.

That thumb looks just like the one that came with my mini. Very handy, my little bucket would be just about useless without it.

Just got in from playing around with it. Real handy with finese. It's not a brute and the hydraulics on the tractor aren't holding alot of down pressure once I release, but it does hold its ground. It doesn't fade. I can feather the controls and keep enough applied to actually grasp a large round outright, and then I just tilt and go with it. Holds together a nice bucket of split wood too. At any rate it's a huge step in the right direction.

Those mini buckets are what got me looking at these somewhat too. I knew if I got a mini with just a bucket it wouldn't do at all. The next time I set one up I'll probably run two of them to see how that goes.

Just got in from playing around with it. Real handy with finese. It's not a brute and the hydraulics on the tractor aren't holding alot of down pressure once I release, but it does hold its ground. It doesn't fade. I can feather the controls and keep enough applied to actually grasp a large round outright, and then I just tilt and go with it. Holds together a nice bucket of split wood too. At any rate it's a huge step in the right direction.

Those mini buckets are what got me looking at these somewhat too. I knew if I got a mini with just a bucket it wouldn't do at all. The next time I set one up I'll probably run two of them to see how that goes.
I have been wanting to make a bird beek for my mini that sits on the top of the forks , because when I stack wood on the forks its always rolls off , it just hard to make time after and all to find time for my little project . I don't know if I could run a grapple bucket on mine seems that the first time I grabbed something worth grappling the machine will just fall on its face ...

I just picked up a ESAB powercut 650 or something like that. It cuts 5/8" seavers 3/4" metal. Its used but just got a nex computer board in it. I got it the same time I got my Lincoln 256 mig welder, so they cut me a brake and only charged me $600 for it. Dont know if I will have to ever fill my torch bottles up again. lol.

thanks guys
she first went to Geauga then they sent her to Hillcrest
I know some people like Geauga but I've had a lifetime of bad experience with them. That's why when I had my heart attack we jumped into the car and drove right by Geauga to get to Hillcrest. That whole hospital thing is 0 on the funmeter. Glad she's home. Nothing but snow over here in Middlefinger.

Phil

thanks guys
she first went to Geauga then they sent her to Hillcrest

I am glad every thing is going ok. My PC wouldnt back up enough pages for me to figure out what happened but I see now. PM me when you have time to talk about truck body work thing. Assuming the dude is interested.

I have been wanting to make a bird beek for my mini that sits on the top of the forks , because when I stack wood on the forks its always rolls off , it just hard to make time after and all to find time for my little project . I don't know if I could run a grapple bucket on mine seems that the first time I grabbed something worth grappling the machine will just fall on its face ...

Long story short,
I was supposed to have nailed down a pt welding job to help get me through the winter, but it fell through and I'm glad it did because I got busy again by the grace of God. lol. The idea was to build a grapple on the weekends with some scrap steel and some state of the art machines. Now that I'm busy, I decided that spending a couple hundred or so would be worth it to me, so I splurged.

What I like is that it's not that heavy. I can easily throw this around and I imagine one to fit a mini would be nothing at all weight wise. So this sort of thing might be the ticket for you.

Long story short,
I was supposed to have nailed down a pt welding job to help get me through the winter, but it fell through and I'm glad it did because I got busy again by the grace of God. lol. The idea was to build a grapple on the weekends with some scrap steel and some state of the art machines. Now that I'm busy, I decided that spending a couple hundred or so would be worth it to me, so I splurged.

What I like is that it's not that heavy. I can easily throw this around and I imagine one to fit a mini would be nothing at all weight wise. So this sort of thing might be the ticket for you.

I would like some pics I mean I have been wanting to build something for mine , I mean my tipping limit is "ike 900lbs its a 900t wheeled loader so I run the forks because I can grab a lot of wood with it and still fit through a true 36" gate ... I just need something to hold the wood tight to the forks

I am glad every thing is going ok. My PC wouldnt back up enough pages for me to figure out what happened but I see now. PM me when you have time to talk about truck body work thing. Assuming the dude is interested.

will do, didn't forget

Why your at that please include arc I have a ac dc hobart and when going up hill have this run back issue so I usually go down hill pushing the slag out of the puddle lol. Oh I have yet to make pretty work over head but it does hold so seriously any way you can confuse me more would be appreciated but I really love my arc welder cause I can't afford one of those faincy war fed jobbies :)

Why your at that please include arc I have a ac dc hobart and when going up hill have this run back issue so I usually go down hill pushing the slag out of the puddle lol. Oh I have yet to make pretty work over head but it does hold so seriously any way you can confuse me more would be appreciated but I really love my arc welder cause I can't afford one of those faincy war fed jobbies :)
oh no rope your a down passer , I guess in some cases its alright .......but......... Its no good .... I love the the whole welding topic I mean I still have my certs in vertical over head and horizontal stick and inner shield all position .

Latest posts

Back