whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No man, it looks like a nice chipper. I couldn't resist a little jab, is all. It's not cool to make fun of somebody's equipment (unless it's the lawnmower guy).

Just got off the phone with my welder, looks like we're starting tomorrow. And you wont be seeing any pics outta me. This project will suck, but it should be the crowning achievment on my life's work (sad as that is), so I'm not feeling the "it's taking too long, why don't you just use chrome in a can, Jersey style" kinda comments.. lol.
That's good I have no comments either just all good vibes I don't need any chrome in the can .... I actually wanna just squash all the BS and forget about it , you don't bother me I don't bother you and if you've noticed I haven't had anything to say to you since this morning , it would be great to never have to say a thing ever .... Just doesn't seem to be working that way for me

Free labor saves on crew costs ...

Aww ####! i was just thinking maybe I should encourage the HO to help.

The HO loved the experience and tipped me $100 plus gave my workers $40 each, that on top of the $1700 I charged for the job. That, plus another stellar A-List review on the way. He and his wife worked right alongside us all day yesterday, when I got out of the last tree the truck was loaded and we were ready to go. I didn't pick up one stick.

Customer relations is my strong suite, I always encourage them to participate and they love me for it. From the personality traits I see exhibited here from most of you I wonder how you get any work at all.

Last edited:
Got to do a 40 ft. 3 stem arborvitae tomorrow. I should smell nice and spicy when I'm done. Worst part is that it's on a road used by lots of amish buggys so at least 6 horses will refuse to go past the chipper, 3 will get excited and crap on their way past me and one will probably fall down. Sorry, but I didn't tell you to drive horses in a motorized world.
Phil

Oh fer cryin out loud, that's funny.

Omg why is it sooooooo damn hot today for real 2 days ago a sweatshirt and now its like an oven by the chipper ..... This is a quick reminder of why I hate the summer so damn much

The HO loved the experience and tipped me $100 plus gave my workers $40 each, that on top of the $1700 I charged for the job. That, plus another stellar A-List review on the way. He and his wife worked right alongside us all day yesterday, when I got out of the last tree the truck was loaded and we were ready to go. I didn't pick up one stick.

Customer relations is my strong suite, I always encourage them to participate and they love me for it. From the personality traits I see exhibited here from most of you I wonder how you get any work at all.
I get it man about saving money but I would question your responsibility if god forbid someone got hurt on your job , I mean how would you explain that to the ins. Company cause you he tries to sue you or his homeowners , if I were you I would reconsider whether it would be just cheaper to discount your price and keep them in the house ... I you wanna have them participate have get ya lunch and maybe a pitcher of water and leave the sawing to the pros

I almost picked up a job like that from a svelt gent in a Mc Mansion, smooth and and hospitable was his ventured bait in such a subtle way but it was my atitude that prevented me with working with him.

I almost want to go out and see another Wild Thang in action as it draws a silly sordid reaction, it spurs intrest.

Almost.

I am thinking back to when I ever felt comforatble letting a HO client handle the ground. once. the guy had acsess to and old 4 banger c and d , a couple hangared dependent slobs and it was fun to watch from above. the one dude who was supposed rode his motorbike over a limb. The guy weilded that W T with all the glory of a manic who was on the verge of collapse from exhausting himself from keep the thing running. He also was about to collapse into the feed chute.

It was fun for me in the aspect that the job was easy enough for the money to do a lil climbing for . I would do that again in I knew the guy would be alive to pay me I guess, it sure would be a thrill but I am to ornery and fast to be getting civilians involved with my shinanigans.

Calls, calls, calls...

I'm getting backed up. Got to go bid one for a local proctologist tomorrow... I don't envy him his job...

Got a message from an out of town creditor that I am pre-approved for 100K for equipment... I never answer out of state calls unless I recognize the number. Funny, 5 years ago it was 150K from the same company... Was sure glad I didn't submerge myself in debt at that time... Just before the bottom fell out. I sure would not like the notion that I HAD to work to give creditors my money...

Calls, calls, calls...

I'm getting backed up. Got to go bid one for a local proctologist tomorrow... I don't envy him his job...

Got a message from an out of town creditor that I am pre-approved for 100K for equipment... I never answer out of state calls unless I recognize the number. Funny, 5 years ago it was 150K from the same company... Was sure glad I didn't submerge myself in debt at that time... Just before the bottom fell out. I sure would not like the notion that I HAD to work to give creditors my money...

In the word of Tony Soprano; "I don't even let people shake their finger in my FACE."
View attachment 233915

I was gonna comment about how sweet the paint and lettering look on that truck too! I usually don't like a ton of decals and lettering, but that looks damn nice.. and it's got kinda like a Spidey theme goin on too (another way of looking at it), so how can ya go wrong! Lol.

Haha I never noticed the spidey colors before.... I am down with it though. You would be surprised how much business having our trucks done up like that brings me. I would say at least a call or two a week comes from someone who just saw the bucket out and about doin' it's thing. If it is a job with good visibility I always send the bucket whether it is needed or not.

Good on ya for painting your own stuff, looks like a ton of work to me. I am working on building a new truck right now. It is gonna be the ultimate stump grinder and wood hauling rig. It has a spot to drive my mini on and a dump bed (thanks for the idea Scott). I just got a quote to paint it up... 2 grand. May do it myself.... we will see what next week brings.

I can't believe you get away with that.... I have people calling me back if I leave a twig in their yard. I just got paid from a lady I did a job for about a month ago. After we were done she called and asked if she could have a load of mulch, I said of course, we'll drop it off tomorrow. Next day I get a call from her and she is freaking out... she thought we were gonna put it in her backyard... through a 36" gate. I asked her how she possibly thought I could move ten yards of mulch to the backyard for free. She says "I just thought you would have some way to do it"........ I guess I should have just used the force or something.

went and looked at a job tonight, a landscaper co. started and could not finish. An ash tree that was rotten about a 1/3 the way up, they were rigging off of it and got scared and came down. This thing was a stick with 2 branch for a top. I looked at it then looked at the HO and said whered you find these guys? 30 ft away was another ash that would of made a great tree to rig off of. Newbies! Apparently this company's climber is a cert. arborist. Thats it!!! i'm gonna turn my cert in I ####ing had enough.

Haha I never noticed the spidey colors before.... I am down with it though. You would be surprised how much business having our trucks done up like that brings me. I would say at least a call or two a week comes from someone who just saw the bucket out and about doin' it's thing. If it is a job with good visibility I always send the bucket whether it is needed or not.

Good on ya for painting your own stuff, looks like a ton of work to me. I am working on building a new truck right now. It is gonna be the ultimate stump grinder and wood hauling rig. It has a spot to drive my mini on and a dump bed (thanks for the idea Scott). I just got a quote to paint it up... 2 grand. May do it myself.... we will see what next week brings.

do you have any issues with the graffics on the seem of the side of the truck? About to put a big logo on the sides of our chip truck and to center it is going to put the tree right across the seem. one of my guys thinks its going to start coming up at that spot

And a slick one you are... Always the professional.

With the exorbitant prices you command and tips you receive on just about every job you do, I can see why you hold yourself in such high regard. And without a crew no less! Really amazing!

You are right, I don't see how we mortal treemen can compete...

I haven't had any issues with it so far. I built the chip body on my dump truck and we had to have a big seem running right through it because we had to use two separate sheets of steel. We put the graphics on that over a year ago and it is still good. I spent the extra dough to get the extra high quality vinyl though... don't know if it really any better but it has been working out for me. My new graphics guy is cheap too. I could redo my trucks every year for less than what I am paying to the yellow pages (####### fascist lying ass sons of #####es).

I haven't had any issues with it so far. I built the chip body on my dump truck and we had to have a big seem running right through it because we had to use two separate sheets of steel. We put the graphics on that over a year ago and it is still good. I spent the extra dough to get the extra high quality vinyl though... don't know if it really any better but it has been working out for me. My new graphics guy is cheap too. I could redo my trucks every year for less than what I am paying to the yellow pages (####### fascist lying ass sons of #####es).

i picked up the zen cutter from us cutter for less than 700$. ten minutes after i plugged it in i was cutting away. they wanted a few thousand to do my trucks so i figured what the heck. i almost got everything all done was a huge savings. and every time something gets nicked i can just throw a new one on. 700$ was higher end model you can get a plotter for as low as 300.00 that will do the stickers your throwing on. cutter comes with all the software.

i am tired as hell and the season is just getting going! My phone is ringing off the hook and i am also busy with getting moved into or new home. I am loving the house. Moving from 900 odd square foot up to 2176 square ft is a blessing for sure. Its just killing me trying to stay on top of everything. i will manage or atleast give er hell trying. peace bros.

A clearance job today on a big property thats being extended. One of the trees was a solid 90ft fir with a big side-lean to the way I wanted fall it....had a big full head on it that appeared to have blown out in the past only to regrow in to quite a weighty top.

I set a static guy line at about 2/3rds the way up and tied off to my toe-hitch almost dead against the lean, perhaps 5-10 degrees less. Used a block-out facecut just to gain a little more out of the holding wood.

Anyway, it all went just fine but the reaction of the guys who I was working for did make me chuckle....they thought I was an absolute wizard for pulling it off, when in reality its pretty staightforward stuff. I think the fact that the tie-off was static and not pulling is what they couldn't get until after. Of course I just lapped it up like 'well............you know............it takes alot of experience to know when and when not too. And not to mention you gotta know the math'. lol:msp_biggrin:

Aside the BS, I did though save a ton of extra work that would've been otherwise.

Latest posts

Back