whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
happened on this yesterday. Utility company having to rerun all the underground wires from the city guys planting new trees downtown. Apparently they augured all the holes. On this one the sucked up about 40 feet of underground wire and just tossed it under the root ball. They were nice enough to cut the basket on the top 6 inches of the root ball. As you can see they left the rest of the basket and burlap on the ball.

72188519425778373030.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing great today. After a late start I picked up my friend's trailer from the welding shop. Got big compliments on the truck there, and at the fueling station up the road, along with at the auto parts store. Did manage to get a scratch on the back though... oh well, it can't be perfect forever. Got googlie eyes from a couple other tree guys driving around. Chipped a pile of brush for the people who own this satelite location that I sometimes use. Also looked at a job this evening... pruning busted branches from 3 white oaks, and remove 1 norway maple. I was the third quote, as her first guy moved away due to a family emergency, and the second never showed up. I told her $1800 figuring a quick close at a reasonable rate... my jaw hit the ground when she said the second guy told her $550. Her original guy would have been somewhere around my number or slightly higher.

Started the Memorial Day weekend off today by placing a flag on my grandfathers grave. He died before I was born so I do not know a real lot about him. But I do know he was Irish, he liked to drink and he was in the Army during WW1 so all around I think we could have had a good time hanging out together.

My stihl dealer told me yesturday that they are coming back out with screw on caps. He said the new stuff is starting to ship with the new caps.

Today worked out alright. Picked up my extra climber at 7:30, met with the groundie at 8:00. Stopped for breakfast and lunch at this deli located in a small shopping center. All the spots were taken except for right in front of this one rental store. So I parked right in front of the rental place and we went into the deli. Rental guy comes in, says I like your truck, so you can leave it there, but next time park in one of my other spots. We got to the job at about 8:30 and got to work. Got the 6 trees pruned by 4:30, got the money and got out. It was VERY humid today, and somewhere around 85*. About 15 min after we got out of the job it started to POUR. Luckily everything was put away and we were on our way home.

Finally got time to post some pics.

Here is a before and after for my little land clear job I just finished up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice! Looks really good man! We just finished one of those, I don't go as far as u with the grading and seeding. I have a buddy that does that, so I send that to him, he has all the grading gear like you. Need to get tracks for my machine, freakin expensive to buy new, keep looking for used. We didnt get to rip stumps, had to grind them all and that sucked. It is real dry here and the yard had very little turf, then the wind was kicking up the dust horribly bad. I looked like I had spent the year in Jamaica tanning when we were done, to bad the tan washed off with the hose!

What kind of grapple is that, mine is a Bradco/FFC

Thanks, it was alot of work. I ended up grinding the stumps.

The grapple is a fabtech. It is a light duty grapple, basically junk. It has no greese fittings or anyway to lube the moving parts. Mine is starting to oval the holes at the grapple arm pins. I have picked up some pretty big stuff with it, alot of stuff i thought would snap it in a half, but it held up for the most part. I had to do a couple repairs/ reinforcements to it to beef it up over the years. I actually ripped off one of the grapple arms one time. Good thing is i only paid $1000 for it, and I can weld and fabricate, so it works pretty good for me. I have gone threw 2 hose sets for it from the loader to the grapple, and countless line repairs. I went to a tractor trailer shop and bought one of there springs to hold the trailer hoses up, and attached it to my hoses then to the loader, and that has seem to cure my problem for the most part.

Last edited:
Cool, mine is pretty beefy, has all the bells and whistles. I "trained" my lines when I first got it with zip ties. I bent them to how I wanted them to lay, then zipped them in place and let it sit for a few days, took them off and they stayed, so so far so good. I had a brush grapple before this one, swear I would replace a line every month. Finally had to break down and buy bigger beefier lines for it, but that thing sucked in general.

Thanks, it was alot of work. I ended up grinding the stumps.

The grapple is a fabtech. It is a light duty grapple, basically junk. It has no greese fittings or anyway to lube the moving parts. Mine is starting to oval the holes at the grapple arm pins. I have picked up some pretty big stuff with it, alot of stuff i thought would snap it in a half, but it held up for the most part. I had to do a couple repairs/ reinforcements to it to beef it up over the years. I actually ripped off one of the grapple arms one time. Good thing is i only paid $1000 for it, and I can weld and fabricate, so it works pretty good for me. I have gone threw 2 hose sets for it from the loader to the grapple, and countless line repairs. I went to a tractor trailer shop and bought one of there springs to hold the trailer hoses up, and attached it to my hoses then to the loader, and that has seem to cure my problem for the most part.

did you grind all those stumps with your 1625?

man that had to be brutal.. We just did about an acre of clearing a wooded lot. Lots of stumps and lots of rocks..

I did it over 3 evenings. I can only take 3-4 hrs of grinding at a time. The first evening, my final drive belt broke so that cost me $300 and a couple days to get a new one in.

I did it over 3 evenings. I can only take 3-4 hrs of grinding at a time. The first evening, my final drive belt broke so that cost me $300 and a couple days to get a new one in.

ouch.. yeah that kind of grinding can break man and machine.. I had a 1635 and 1672 on my gig and it took us about a half day of screaching belts and dulling teath..

Back