whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 40mph winds here now and the phone has wrung about three times , but tomorrow is MOMs day so I can't blow outta here and go to work , so I'm :censored:

Well than no offense you don't know what your doing with them , the backcut is always the top cut and depending on the size dictates the distance between the cuts , the snap cut is hands down the safest cut that you can make if you want to control the wood til your ready to send it south...

I agree it's the cut to use if YOU are controlling the wood, but to use a snap cut, then have some doofus' pulling on a rope and the climber sitting watching it, is too risky in my opinion. Once the wood between the cuts snaps, your control of the wood is limited to either your ability to push or someone else's ability to pull. With no guarantee that something won't kick it sideways.

Also with a piece the size that was in the video (~36"), the fulcrum point is the edge of the tree, not 1/3 of the way in, if he had made a notch. Makes it much harder to pull.

I agree it's the cut to use if YOU are controlling the wood, but to use a snap cut, then have some doofus' pulling on a rope and the climber sitting watching it, is too risky in my opinion. Once the wood between the cuts snaps, your control of the wood is limited to either your ability to push or someone else's ability to pull. With no guarantee that something won't kick it sideways.

Also with a piece the size that was in the video (~36"), the fulcrum point is the edge of the tree, not 1/3 of the way in, if he had made a notch. Makes it much harder to pull.

Well than don't use it ,you obviously have had some bad luck or forsee some bad luck with the cut , its a great tool for just about any application even in branch removal you can make a cut and leave it there til you move out of the way , and the guy on the rope can break it for ya, its just funny that almost everyone I know uses it and you may be the first to say that its questionable.. We use it too tip tie entire trees and it works so well that anything else would be uncivilized

Last edited:
Back to the original question, whadja do today?....

Took out 5 oaks overhanging a customers home yesterday with three more to come down today. Real busy since April 1st as usual and they all seem to be good size jobs. Walked away from one a couple weeks ago. too big and real hairy. Seems like the economy is better and work is back to usual and people are spending money again. Right now, no more phone calls, I'm booked up through June. Yes, I usually only do tree work on weekends thus the "full schedule" but it's starting to overlap into weekdays too and thats a good thing.

:cheers:

Nothing, not one thing...job related that is. Did the Mother's day stuff to stay in the will. Minus the Mother's day stuff, looks to be more of the same for the next week, from the way the weather is looking...but that just means more shop time. Now, just need more shop space...9'x11' is not condusive to one's sanity in the shop. But hey, worked for bill gates...just need to make it necessary for everyone in the world to buy a chair...nope, toilet is already taken...and some don't believe in them.

Tyed up about 60 hemlock that were damaged by snow and ice in FEB. and the others removed 2 sugar maples at the catholic church near out shop , I think I could get youst to "hemlock repair " more sightseeing than anything else...

I remember you.. weren't you a partimer or something.. (planes or something?)

Still showing that same tree pic eh??

Get some new material dude... and stop acting like you're one to judge anything!

The dog and the wood shed are new. You have to admit Fred is cute. THe Wood shed holds 30 cords. MDS good memory, I am a part timer, a certified and insured part timer. But 25 hours a week at this does make me a part timer. Hopefully next year I`ll be doing this 20 hours a week.

My niche is large tree and young tree pruning on estate properties. Good work but boring for photos. I cant compete with the crane removals when it comes to photo opportunities. Plus I climb everything in sneakers. How boring is that?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back